to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

EA will no longer pay weapon manufacturers to feature their

Your comments on our articles.

But still plans to use brand names due to 'constitutional right of free speech'

Speaking to Reuters, EA has stated that it will no longer pay for the privilege of putting known firearm brands into its games, but that it will instead evoke the right of free speech to use trademarks without permission.... read more

EA will no longer pay weapon manufacturers to feature their

Postby Windowlicker79 » 08 May 2013, 11:10

So they plan to profit from using copyrighted material but intend to pay no royalties to the copyright owner?
So if I start burning copies of EA games and selling them for a profit they'd be OK with that?
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 55

Re: EA will no longer pay weapon manufacturers to feature th

Postby CunningSmile » 08 May 2013, 11:23

Windowlicker79 wrote:So they plan to profit from using copyrighted material but intend to pay no royalties to the copyright owner?
So if I start burning copies of EA games and selling them for a profit they'd be OK with that?

So long as you claim that you are doing it as a way of expressing your free speach presumably yes. Maybe you should get a group of people together and claim it's part of your Right of Free assembly or possibly even you're pirating for Religious reasons :lol:
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 08 May 2013, 11:27

Windowlicker79 wrote:So they plan to profit from using copyrighted material but intend to pay no royalties to the copyright owner?

I can't think that's in any way a similar case. You'd be directly affected their sales by selling their product. It's not quite the same as featuring a name of a brand. No one is going to choose between buying a gun or a game.

But it is interesting. Do they have to pay royalties when guns are used in movies etc? In one way it seems almost like advertising for these weapon manufacturers.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby CunningSmile » 08 May 2013, 11:55

FishyGinger wrote:But it is interesting. Do they have to pay royalties when guns are used in movies etc? In one way it seems almost like advertising for these weapon manufacturers.

I know US sales of the Desert Eagle pistol shot up in the early '90s when Arnie started using one in every film. It's surprising what will influence buying choices, even if it's for a gun that's apparently impossible to aim unless you're built like the former Governer of California.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby SilentDark » 08 May 2013, 12:10

Games don't exactly equate to books because books are a non visual medium, certainly a person could describe, in great detail the exact appearance of the gun but surely when you create a visual representation of a gun in your game the rules change. Are their racing games like Need for Speed going to use car brands and models without the consent of the actual companies and then claim free speech? How far will this go, will free speech mean being able to infringe copyright? Why in the first mercenaries game did they call the UN the "allied nations" why couldn't they claim free speech then?

Sounds less like they want to promote "free speech" and more like they want to get out of paying companies royalties.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 65

Postby Chameleon » 08 May 2013, 13:10

Sounds like standard EA business practice to me :D

Hey, maybe T10 should have done that regarding Porsche in Forza4...! Sod the fact that EA has that particular license and claim free speech! But I guess that would be an exception to the rule, wouldn't it, Frank? :wink:
Chameleon 44

Postby Rista B » 08 May 2013, 13:49

I sense one or more lawsuits coming on over this eventually. The way guns are presented in games like Medal of Honor, Call of Duty & Battlefield are as realistic representations of the actual gun and as rewards for the players to unlock as they progress through the ranks. That's quite a bit different from how guns are presented in most movies or books where you may have a character speak about and/or use a weapon but more often than not it's a prop that is never discussed.
Rista B 13

Postby Lazarus22nd » 08 May 2013, 14:27

I never understood why they should anyway, it is free advertising and product placement, companies pay to get their stuff into TV shows and films, not the other way around.
Lazarus22nd 56

Postby msbhvn » 08 May 2013, 15:40

I think EA have decided that even indirectly giving money to an organisation that is trying to demonise them in the press to save their own lying hypocritical asses is a bit stupid. The copyright thing, while technically correct, is just an excuse.
Massively Multiplatform since ever, fanboys!
msbhvn 69

Postby mistergrimm » 08 May 2013, 19:05

CunningSmile wrote:So long as you claim that you are doing it as a way of expressing your free speach presumably yes. Maybe you should get a group of people together and claim it's part of your Right of Free assembly or possibly even you're pirating for Religious reasons :lol:

There is actually an emerging religion called Kopimism that I believe has been officially recognised by the Swedish government which lists file-sharing as a sacred act.
mistergrimm 33

Postby Drainwater » 08 May 2013, 22:13

CunningSmile wrote:the former Governer of California.

Um, we call him the Guhvahnator, thank you very much.

Anyway, it's not like the gun manufacturers have a copyright on how the firearm looks, just on how it's built. If EA were to copy every single detail of a gun on the market and include it as a preorder bonus, then the gun companies might have a case against them. Along with many other people.
Drainwater 35

Postby CunningSmile » 09 May 2013, 09:39

Drainwater wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:the former Governer of California.

Um, we call him the Guhvahnator, thank you very much.

I know, but have to admit I couldn't figure out how to spell it :oops:
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Worthies » 09 May 2013, 17:10

Despite recently coming under fire from NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierre, who called the game industry "a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people,"

Wait... let me get this straight...
Video games sow violence, but selling people guns without even basic checks isn't?

My god!
Some people are just not worth the oxygen they will consume over their short lifetime, shortly before getting killed in some horrific firearms related incident.
Worthies 30

Postby Dave2123 » 10 May 2013, 07:09

It only mentions a few brands they thank, so perhaps those brands let them do it for free, with a "special mention" whilst others make them pay, because the MP5 is a very popular gun in the games and they aren't thanking Heckler and Koch there. You would have thought they would have to pay, the same as any entertainment company does when they want to use a real product, but not all of the manufactures of the weapons in the game are mentioned, so this announcement is raising more questions in my mind than it answers. For example, if they're not going to pay gun manufactures for their weapons, surely that means that all the guns in the game will have to be made up guns, that don't really exist.
Dave2123 29

Postby Metalrodent » 10 May 2013, 08:05

Dave2123 wrote:For example, if they're not going to pay gun manufactures for their weapons, surely that means that all the guns in the game will have to be made up guns, that don't really exist.

No, that's not going to happen. What EA have said they will do is continue to use real brands, but no give money or credit.
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Next