Too little, too late: will next generation consoles revive t

Your comments on our articles.

Is the golden age of consoles behind us?

Nary has a week gone by of late when we haven't been hit by news of an all-formats software chart slump, a development studio facing dire financial crisis and even closure, or a blockbuster AAA title failing to achieve a publisher's retail targets.... read more

Postby Little3vil » 08 May 2013, 12:41

I think that there a two main reasons for this:
1. less money to spend (and high retail prices)
2. the CRAP developers dare to release just to make a quick buck. (DayZ, Aliens: Colonial Marines etc)

Releasing incomplete games and "make" you pay (day one DLC) to get the whole experience. Tagging on multiplayer on games that aren't supposed to have them (Tomb Raider) and releasing overpriced MP DLC.

Consumers aren't that eager to jump in on day one, just to get "scammed' out of their hard earned money.

The reason games like GTA V will do well is because these games are quality games. Lots of gameplay value, no annual recycling of the previous game with a gfx update. These guys take their time to deliver a solid product.
Little3vil 2

Postby Rugdawg09 » 08 May 2013, 12:43

One of the reasons AAA titles have flopped this year is because they have sucked and word quickly spreads. Aliens: CM was meant to be one of the best games this year and it was a mediocre (at best) waste of money. I wouldn't of brought it if I had read the reviews first. Crysis 3 wasn't all that either and because of this I won't bothering pre-ordering any more and thankfully I have saved money already because I was going to get Star Trek and Dead Island Riptide and after reading reviews and seeing the game play probably won't bother. Game developers are getting lazy and releasing unfinished games and this will hurt sales across the board
Rugdawg09 16

Re: Too little, too late: will next generation consoles revi

Postby CunningSmile » 08 May 2013, 13:07

a blockbuster AAA title failing to achieve a publisher's retail targets.

Just looking at the three AAA titles you mention (Hitman, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider) all clocked up significant sales, as you say TR even getting the fastest sales in the series history, and clawed back nice little profits but were deemed 'failures' by the publishers because they didn't reach sales targets. Maybe the fault isn't the games but that the publishers are coming up with sales targets they've plucked out their collective arses based on fairy dust and the sales gained by anomalies like CoD.

Come up with more realistic targets (or heaven forbid just look at "did we make a profit") and the whole industry starts to look a lot rosier.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby LeeJ2512 » 08 May 2013, 13:28

It's a case of retail prices are just ridiculously high. Why would I go into GAME and spend £45 on a game when I can get it from Amazon still sealed for £30.

My friend bought the HUGELY disappointing Halo 4 limited edition, he paid £70 for it at GAME in our local high street, I got it for £60 from Amazon, now they sell the limited edition for £40.

Not to mention the WiiU prices were ridiculous too, £50 odds for a game in our local GAME shop. No wonder they're going broke. Even their "sales" don't even shave off a fiver.

I saw a game "on sale" and it literally was only 99p cheaper than before.

If Microsoft did better deals like Steam does (and I don't even use Steam, my friends do) they will get a LOT of sales. Most of the sales nowadays on the dashboard are useless Rock Band songs or stuff that's "on sale" all year long.
LeeJ2512 20

Postby mariachi2000 » 08 May 2013, 13:52

LeeJ2512 wrote:If Microsoft did better deals like Steam does (and I don't even use Steam, my friends do) they will get a LOT of sales. Most of the sales nowadays on the dashboard are useless Rock Band songs or stuff that's "on sale" all year long.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/50600/xbox-live-sa ... er-pound3/

This was an amazing sale that they did recently, although the games are old you can't argue with those prices!
mariachi2000 37

Postby Mendes » 08 May 2013, 14:08

CunningSmile wrote:
a blockbuster AAA title failing to achieve a publisher's retail targets.

Just looking at the three AAA titles you mention (Hitman, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider) all clocked up significant sales, as you say TR even getting the fastest sales in the series history, and clawed back nice little profits but were deemed 'failures' by the publishers because they didn't reach sales targets. Maybe the fault isn't the games but that the publishers are coming up with sales targets they've plucked out their collective arses based on fairy dust and the sales gained by anomalies like CoD.

Come up with more realistic targets (or heaven forbid just look at "did we make a profit") and the whole industry starts to look a lot rosier.

I agree with Cunning, publishers sales target dictating yearly releases at £5 premiums, you know who I'm talking about, are, in my opinion, economic downturn aside, a huge part of the problem. (Wow that was a lot of commas but grammatically correct I think!!)

I'd be curious to see how happy the publishers, such as Square Enix and their view that Tomb Raider underselling despite it being the best selling in the franchise, would be to sell a game a lot cheaper than the competitors to rake in the numbers of units sold. It could be the kickstart the industry needs. I suspect there's little chance of that happening but :

800,000 units @ £45.99 = £36,792,000
1,200,000 units @ £30.99 = £37,188,000

I reckon all the consistent Tomb Raider reviews coupled with a £15 price drop would have scraped together at least those extra 400k units, I certainly would have bought one at that price. I understand my economics a little basic and there are overheads among other factors to take in to account, but that price difference is seen on the PC versions of the game and for too long console gamers have been paying 30 to 40 percent more than the PC counterparts, where I'd expect the dev costs to be slightly higher.
Mendes 35

Postby Dave2123 » 08 May 2013, 15:16

"With the recession still very much a reality..."

We're actually out of recession now, but I agree that in these last few years consumers have probably been saving money and not buying video games. Next gen, however, will start a year after we're out of recession and so should do a bit better.

"Why would I go into GAME and spend £45 on a game when I can get it from Amazon still sealed for £30."

This isn't entirely true. Infinite, Far Cry, AC3, and Dishonored are cheaper at Game than Amazon. While games might be cheaper at amazon when they are first released they are never that cheap. £40 maybe, not £30.

"I wouldn't of brought it if I had read the reviews first."

This links in well with my second point. Don't buy games you know nothing about. At least wait a few weeks for reviews and such; those who pre order and then find out the game is rubbish only have their blind optimism to blame. Another reason why the initial sales of games may be not quite as high as publishers would like could be because people do what I do, contrary to what the person who I quoted does. We've been in recession and I, along with many people, don't have £40 they can throw away on a video game, so I wait a few months or so, even a year sometimes, until the game is a reasonable price and I've had time to read reviews and watch gameplay, so that when I buy it, I haven't spent loads on it and I know it will be good.

Many people are dragged in by clever advertising campaigns and rush to buy the game straight away for a ludicrous some of money and then are disappointed with it. Just be patient and it'll pay off for you. Obviously, this strategy would mean less sales for publishers, but at least people wouldn't constantly complain about games, when really what they're complaining about is that they were stupid enough to be tricked into buying it without any prior knowledge. The newest game I've got is AC3 and that was a birthday present a few months after it first came out. I know, however, that I will buy AC4 straight away, because the franchise is fantastic and because most didn't like 3 whereas I thought it was the best in the franchise. This does seem to counter my point about waiting for reviews, but most of the time they're accurate.
Dave2123 29

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 08 May 2013, 15:55

''Out of recession''

We were almost in a triple dip recession last week. And this whole 'were out of recession because the economy has grown 0.03%' is utter Bullsh*t.
I live in Northern Ireland and just this week almost 700 jobs are being lost here, not to mention that most of my graduating class from university myself included are struggling not just to find work in the field we studied in but also any kind of internship paid or unpaid and simple retail work.

We may be 'out of recession' in terms of statistics but in the real world its a very different story.
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby msbhvn » 08 May 2013, 16:28

GAME usually have decent deals on consoles. I got good deals on my original 360, its replacement and my PS3 from GAME. It's the games that are mostly overpriced, as people have said.

It will be interesting, given the rise of internet shopping since the 360 was released, whether GAME will demand that you buy the next Xbox in a bundle like they did with the launch 360s. If MS do the Xbox Live financing option, will you be able to get that through GAME?
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby Allan96 » 08 May 2013, 19:51

From the rumours and 'here-say' about next gen and Xbox 720, its main aim isn't to revive high street retail.

From what I've heard and been told the digital age of downloading games will play a larger role so many games wont be on disk therefore not bought from shops, they also are plenty of rumours going around saying pre-owned games will be clamped down on this will damage shops who make a profit from this, I understand why they want to do it this way but, in modernising and being nicer to one group shops like game may slowly disappear

however I don't know if any of this is actually true and until more information is released we wont know.
Allan96 7

Postby hav0k1989 » 08 May 2013, 23:57

i live in northern england and there are a few reasons why i think games arent selling well
1. recession- no jobs where i live
2. personally im a huge gamer but now game developers are getting a bit lazy (in my opinion no offence to any who disagree) there are more and more yearly releases with pretty new characters or environment but nothing defining a genre i loved ac, ac brotherhood but now it just seems to me developers would rather have yearly releases than put an extra year or two into a genre defining game e.g skyrim (worth the wait).
3. relating to my second point will the next gen console be the exact same? yearly releases of clone after clone but prettier graphics? personally i would like to see a mindboggling difference in the next gen if im going to buy it.

in summary i think developers should spend a little time thinking more about customer satisfaction than quick money. im sure as fellow gamers you all wouldnt mind waiting an extra year for a great game with great playability.
hav0k1989 4

Postby LeeJ2512 » 10 May 2013, 14:58

This isn't entirely true. Infinite, Far Cry, AC3, and Dishonored are cheaper at Game than Amazon. While games might be cheaper at amazon when they are first released they are never that cheap. £40 maybe, not £30.

Well most games when released like Gears of War Judgement were at Game for £40 odds and I got if from Amazon for £30
LeeJ2512 20

Postby Grummy » 10 May 2013, 17:14

lazercut123 wrote:
Little3vil wrote:I think that there a two main reasons for this:
1. less money to spend (and high retail prices)
2. the CRAP developers dare to release just to make a quick buck. (DayZ, Aliens: Colonial Marines etc)

Releasing incomplete games and "make" you pay (day one DLC) to get the whole experience. Tagging on multiplayer on games that aren't supposed to have them (Tomb Raider) and releasing overpriced MP DLC.

Consumers aren't that eager to jump in on day one, just to get "scammed' out of their hard earned money.

The reason games like GTA V will do well is because these games are quality games. Lots of gameplay value, no annual recycling of the previous game with a gfx update. These guys take their time to deliver a solid product.

First of all, dayz is a mod so they don't make money from sales and secondly, millions of people play it, so it can't be that crap.

I assumed he meant WarZ and that whole debacle.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Matt Powers » 10 May 2013, 21:15

It's about quality, and aside from Tomb Raider, the games that are failing are games that lack quality. Far too many games are being released that simply aren't good enough. Either their concepts are unoriginal, uninteresting, or simply lame, or their implementation is poor.

But I do think people are also tired of this gen hardware and have been for a while. I've been ready for new systems for at least two years myself.
Matt Powers 1

Postby harkking » 11 May 2013, 13:30

High street prices are way too high....Dead island Riptide is £40 in game and i've seen it higher in other shops....yet on amazon it could have been pre-ordered for £28....it was meant to be a budget title ....consumers are being taken for idiots ...Game still push the pre-owned games over new ...saving you maybe £5 ....it annoys me that i get offered a pre-owned game every time i go to buy a new one...Then there's the fact if you wait a month most new games come down in price by quite a bit...I've bought over 10 new games in the last 6 months, some online and some on the high street, but only 3 of those were at launch and the 3 at launch dropped in price within a matter of weeks....and if you go to game to trade in a game the pathetic sum you're offered is usually not worth it....I was offered £15 for Gears Judgement when they still had it on sale for £42 new and they had pre-owned selling for £37.......If the next gen games are the same price as current gen then i can see a bit of revival but i doubt that will happen....Wii U games are way too high in price and the Wii U is hardly next gen...
harkking 35

Next