to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Capcom's annual financial results are in, detailing franchis

Your comments on our articles.

Publisher also vows to focus on console development and online games

Capcom have disclosed their financial results for the fiscal year ending March 31st. Despite disappointing sales for some of their biggest titles, the company reported an expected profit of £19.42 million - down 56 per cent year-on-year.... read more

Capcom's annual financial results are in, detailing franchis

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 08 May 2013, 15:03

Good to hear Dragons Dogma did better than expected. Picked up Dark Arisen for £17 last week and it hasn't left my Xbox since. A really solid RPG with great combat.Haven't finished it yet but already I would very much like to see a sequel.

If the disappointing sales of Resident Evil 6 don't make Capcom seriously consider a Reboot then nothing will. I was a huge fan of the series up until RE6. I may pick up Revelations when it comes down in price, say £10-£15. Im really in no hurry to play it. If Capcom go on to announce RE7 somewhere down the line it will be the ultimate final nail in the coffin in my opinion.
Johnbhoy69 54

Re: Capcom's annual financial results are in, detailing fran

Postby msbhvn » 08 May 2013, 16:09

Revelations is the only well-received Resi game in recent years. Capcom have ported it from the 3DS, where it was an exclusive, as a panic measure to keep the franchise alive.

Dragon's Dogma was great fun and deserved to sell well. It wasn't perfect, and the recent re-release with extra content was a misstep, but as long as DD2 is a significant improvement and not just an attempt to ape Dark Souls like Dark Arisen, it could be the start of a great RPG series.

DmC is a solid, fun game. Other than the juvenile Succubus dialogue and Dante looking like a heroin addict in the initial demos, Ninja Theory made very few mistakes with it. It's a little easier than the older games on Normal difficulty, but the higher difficulties are challenging enough for the masochists. The level design is amazing and the boss fights are near-perfect. Any action/brawler/hack-and-slash fan who hasn't got it already should give it a go.
#SaveOXM
msbhvn 69

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 08 May 2013, 16:15

msbhvn wrote:Dragon's Dogma was great fun and deserved to sell well. It wasn't perfect, and the recent re-release with extra content was a misstep, but as long as DD2 is a significant improvement and not just an attempt to ape Dark Souls like Dark Arisen, it could be the start of a great RPG series.

How was Dark Arisen a misstep?

Spoiler free if you can :D
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby msbhvn » 08 May 2013, 16:32

The re-release instead of having Dark Arisen as DLC was a misstep. Dark Arisen itself, I haven't played yet, but Grummy will probably tell you that it's an attempt to make Dragon's Dogma more like Dark Souls rather than build on the base game's charm.
#SaveOXM
msbhvn 69

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 08 May 2013, 16:48

msbhvn wrote:The re-release instead of having Dark Arisen as DLC was a misstep. Dark Arisen itself, I haven't played yet, but Grummy will probably tell you that it's an attempt to make Dragon's Dogma more like Dark Souls rather than build on the base game's charm.

Ive ventured Into Bitter Black Ilse only a few times and it does have that same constant sense of foreboding that Dark Souls had, could be because I'm not at the recommended level yet though.
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby SilentDark » 08 May 2013, 18:50

msbhvn wrote:The re-release instead of having Dark Arisen as DLC was a misstep. Dark Arisen itself, I haven't played yet, but Grummy will probably tell you that it's an attempt to make Dragon's Dogma more like Dark Souls rather than build on the base game's charm.

This can be quite annoying, follow the leader but if he walks off a cliff, do you follow him then? If people want the experience of Dark Souls then surely they'll just buy Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma has the feel of Monster Hunter with an RPG plot and mechanics thrown in, this is what got people to pick it up, this is what they want from a sequel. People who want a Dark Souls experience, well they'd have already picked up Dark Souls, why create a competition where there doesn't have to be one. They appeal to people on different levels so if Dragon's Dogma ends up becoming a blatant Dark Souls clone, well that's going to be unfortunate because those who follow the leader, while they might find some sucess, they will never step out from his shadow.

And Capcom, stop it. I love bundled editions and GOTY releases as much as the next man, but you really should have offered this as DLC, iI mean I know you released like a bajillion editions of Street Fighter 2 but this practice of rereleasing games with extra content just to make people buy it twice it's disrespectful to all those who bought the original release at launch.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby CunningSmile » 09 May 2013, 09:46

SilentDark wrote:And Capcom, stop it. I love bundled editions and GOTY releases as much as the next man, but you really should have offered this as DLC, iI mean I know you released like a bajillion editions of Street Fighter 2 but this practice of rereleasing games with extra content just to make people buy it twice it's disrespectful to all those who bought the original release at launch.

I think you've put your finger directly on the reason Capcom's profits dropped. They have tried to blame too much outsourcing, global downturn etc but I think the real problem is they aren't moving with the times. They still act like DLC isn't possible and they need to follow the Street Fighter 2 model of releasing a million updates in hard copy, as a result no one buys their games until they're sure they've finished dicking about. Get with the 21st century guys, sell us a game (preferably a good one) and if you feel the need to add to it do it in a sensible fashion rather than expect us to pay the same amount a second time.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby chazzy chef » 09 May 2013, 10:54

I think Dark Arisen deserves some love in this thread, it's getting a bit of an unfair kicking here. Having given up half way through my hard playthrough on the original cos my level 125 character was clearly overpowered, DA was exactly what I wanted the DD end game to be. I've still kept it on hard, but have become completely addicted once again, enough to boost another 50 or so levels. All of the most interesting enemies from the original game are much more prominent, the new level designs are great and there is genuine strategic challenge to be had. If you enjoyed DD enough to replay it, or ever spent lots of time in the Everfall's end game chambers hunting and looting then this is a must buy.
chazzy chef 22

Postby SilentDark » 09 May 2013, 13:23

chazzy chef wrote:I think Dark Arisen deserves some love in this thread, it's getting a bit of an unfair kicking here. Having given up half way through my hard playthrough on the original cos my level 125 character was clearly overpowered, DA was exactly what I wanted the DD end game to be. I've still kept it on hard, but have become completely addicted once again, enough to boost another 50 or so levels. All of the most interesting enemies from the original game are much more prominent, the new level designs are great and there is genuine strategic challenge to be had. If you enjoyed DD enough to replay it, or ever spent lots of time in the Everfall's end game chambers hunting and looting then this is a must buy.

What most people have a problem with regarding Dark Arisen is that it's basically trying to be Dark Souls when the game isn't really designed to be like that, Dark Souls was a huge unexpected sucess for From Software and clearly Capcom have seen that and decided they want a little piece of that action. The thing is, if people want the Dark Souls experience, they'll just purchase Dark Souls (incidentally if you haven't already I'd recommend it, sounds like it's right up your street) this whole follow the leader nonsense really needs to stop because it's strangling originality and reducing player choice. Back in the day when the arguments were Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat, people didn't prefer one or the other because they were the same, people had a preference because of the differences, it is even possible to love both because the experiences they offered were very different. If Dark Souls 2 and Dragon's Dogma 2 release and have near identical gameplay types what is likely happen? Are Capcom so arrogant that they assume because they are the bigger developer that everyone will just abandon Dark Souls? No what will happen is that people who loved Dark Souls will buy Dark Souls 2, some may buy Dragon's Dogma 2 but those who enjoyed Dragon's Dogma because it offered an experience different to both the traditional JRPG like Lost Odyssey and the dungeon crawler offered by Dark Souls just won't be interested. Dragon's Dogma crafted an RPG that is very unique offering experiences that no one else offers. Capcom needs to remember that and not turn this promising franchise into the poor man's Dark Souls because while following the leader can lead to a certain level of success it's nearly impossible to overcome the leader. Just ask any developer which tried to make a Call of Duty beater.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby chazzy chef » 10 May 2013, 11:52

That is a valid concern, and I am a massive Dark Souls fan which may explain my joy at the form of DA's new content, but DA still felt 100% like DD in terms of atmosphere to me. The form of the dungeons is still fundamentally the same as the original game's sparse selection but greatly improved, rather than just cloning what DS has already done. I think it does a good job of addressing many of the first game's criticisms, including poor dungeon sections which were not in the same league as the open world exploration, a lack of any kind of cohesive narrative, half-finished item crafting and predictable monster placement. It is more similar to the Everfall sections of DD than it is to any part of DS, and in that context the class switching and pawn systems come into their own. If the similarities to DS are in the almost metroidvania-style dungeon layout and increase in difficulty, those are additions I am more than happy to welcome.
chazzy chef 22