to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Activision: "there are still many unknown factors" about PS4

Your comments on our articles.

"We're going to be very, very prudent and only spend money when we have a solid return."

It's far too early to predict the fortunes of next generation consoles, in the eyes of Activision's chief executive officer Bobby Kotick and chief financial officer Dennis Durkin, and the publisher is accordingly keeping some of its commercial "firepower" in reserve till the mists clear.... read more

Activision: "there are still many unknown factors" about PS4

Postby CunningSmile » 09 May 2013, 13:04

As I've said before I can easily see Activision struggling during the transition and losing their market dominance. New consoles mean new IPs, it's the time when customers want new and exciting games that show them something they haven't seen before, not poorly made cross gen titles that look pretty much the same as what they bought the year before.

With the exception of Destiny does Acti have anything like that? No, as they have done for years they continue to rely on two or three franchises and close down the very studios that would produce the new IPs that their competitors have started to hint at.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: Activision: "there are still many unknown factors" about

Postby SilentDark » 09 May 2013, 13:28

"Across all of our spending decisions, we're going to be very, very prudent and only spend money when we have a solid return on that investment. So we'd like to build the firepower into our plan, but of course, we're going to be prudent as we get closer and making sure that we're spending that wisely."

Translation: More CoD :P
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62

Postby cade360 » 09 May 2013, 15:56

CunningSmile wrote:As I've said before I can easily see Activision struggling during the transition and losing their market dominance. New consoles mean new IPs, it's the time when customers want new and exciting games that show them something they haven't seen before, not poorly made cross gen titles that look pretty much the same as what they bought the year before.

With the exception of Destiny does Acti have anything like that? No, as they have done for years they continue to rely on two or three franchises and close down the very studios that would produce the new IPs that their competitors have started to hint at.

I agree with everything you've said there but you forgot the fact that year in, year out people buy the exact same CoD game with a new paint job. IMO I can't see that changing.
There is no such thing as peace in our modern world.
cade360 15

Postby FishyGinger » 09 May 2013, 16:07

cade360 wrote:
I agree with everything you've said there but you forgot the fact that year in, year out people buy the exact same CoD game with a new paint job. IMO I can't see that changing.

I would guess a lot of that is them hitting a good note with the first modern warfare and lots of people enjoying then making minor updates as they were scared and within reason financially to keep it the same.

With a step up in everything with the new consoles they'll either be forced to upgrade their engine and game which might not hit the right chord with consumers as before or they'll keep the game the same and it will look painfully dated which could harm sales in the long run. I think the problem is they got it right kind of by luck with the main founders of infinity ward now they'll have real problems stepping it up again and they have a lot riding on very few franchises.

If Bungies work doesn't get it right they could have problems...if skylanders wasn't a huge money maker for them.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby CunningSmile » 09 May 2013, 16:35

There's also the fact that a lot of CoD's success is as a result of people who only buy one game per year (a fact supported by achievement data) These aren't the type of people who tend to be early adopters of new consoles as they aren't going to spend £300+ to play a single game, meaning Acti are looking at starting the next gen without the safety net they are used to.

They will be forced to either make the next few games cross platform to please that market but at the expense of holding back innovation on the new tech and losing the Gertrude market as they move on to newer shinier games, or abandon the 360 players at the risk of having a CoD game that doesn't set new sales records each year. Either way they risk cutting the market in half.

As for Skylanders? The next version (Swap Force) requires you to buy a new peripheral as the old portal from the first two games isn't compatible, and is going up against the very similar Disney Infinity. Given a choice to keep little Johnny quiet between A £70 Skylanders or a £70 Disney game with the more recognisable cast, I think Activision will lose a big chunk of that market as well.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 09 May 2013, 17:04

It still amazes me neither pokemon or warhammer use that portal type thing. Seems like it should have been made for them rather than spyro the dragon.

But yes the essence is still the same, relying on too few mega franchises rather than a solid base of decent games. Which is amazing when you think how much money they could pour into just about anything that nothing else gets any real budget.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby battfink83 » 09 May 2013, 21:49

Activision: "there are still many unknown factors" about PS4 and Xbox 720

yawn, so thats why cod is the same garbage every year? cant have any 'unknown' factors........ tools

i know your gaming journalists, but seriously, please stop regurgatating everything that spouts out of activisions mouth maybe once in a while me ol' mucka?. im sure there's something else you can fill these pages with
battfink83 47

Postby Dave2123 » 10 May 2013, 07:58

CunningSmile wrote:As I've said before I can easily see Activision struggling during the transition and losing their market dominance. New consoles mean new IPs, it's the time when customers want new and exciting games that show them something they haven't seen before, not poorly made cross gen titles that look pretty much the same as what they bought the year before.

For most people, the generation transition won't make one bit of a difference; it will just mean they have a new shiny toy, they are not going to suddenly stop buying COD and go: "I want something new, I'm bored of the same FPS I've been buying every year for 8 years." They will buy exactly the same games as they were buying previous gen. Getting a new console isn't going to change their psychology or mentality towards gaming. Hardly anyone will get a new console and think to themselves: "I'm not going to buy any of the franchises that were releasing on previous consoles, I'm just going to play new IPs". The entire notion is preposterous. Activision have been relying on the same few franchises, because they're popular and, unfortunately, everything is governed by money and sticking with them is a safe business model. They will do fine next gen too.
Dave2123 29

Postby CunningSmile » 10 May 2013, 09:54

Dave2123 wrote:

For most people, the generation transition won't make one bit of a difference; it will just mean they have a new shiny toy, they are not going to suddenly stop buying COD and go: "I want something new, I'm bored of the same FPS I've been buying every year for 8 years." They will buy exactly the same games as they were buying previous gen. Getting a new console isn't going to change their psychology or mentality towards gaming. Hardly anyone will get a new console and think to themselves: "I'm not going to buy any of the franchises that were releasing on previous consoles, I'm just going to play new IPs". The entire notion is preposterous. Activision have been relying on the same few franchises, because they're popular and, unfortunately, everything is governed by money and sticking with them is a safe business model. They will do fine next gen too.

History and sales figures disagree with you, otherwise we'd all still be playing Dig Dug and Pacman
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator