Mass Effect: BioWare discusses the playable races and charac

Your comments on our articles.

Quarian scientists, colonists and non-humanoid squadmates

Issue 99's out tomorrow, and it should be of particular interest to you Shepard fans. Nestled between pages 46 and 51 is an enormous Mass Effect retrospective contributed entirely by BioWare's Casey Hudson, Mac Walters, Dusty Everman, Mike Gamble and Preston Watamaniuk - a poignant, fascinating tour of one of gaming's best-loved galaxies.... read more

Mass Effect: BioWare discusses the playable races and charac

Postby Metalrodent » 09 May 2013, 18:58

I would subscribe, but I already own Hitman Absolution - how about giving away a game I don't own ;)
People get confused when a sentence doesn't end the way they potato.

Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Re: Mass Effect: BioWare discusses the playable races and ch

Postby Darquess » 09 May 2013, 19:22

The Joker control portion and the normandy assualt was in Mass Effect 2...

Did a Bioware person say this, or is this a typo?
Darquess 15

Postby Darquess » 09 May 2013, 19:25

Erm...
Mass Effect 2 is the game with the Joker controlled section when the Normandy is (Spoiler) boarded by collectors.

Did a Bioware dev make this mistake, or is this a typo on the website? More importantly, is it in the magazine as well?
Darquess 15

Postby NinthGeorgesw » 09 May 2013, 19:30

Darquess wrote:The Joker control portion and the normandy assualt was in Mass Effect 2...

Did a Bioware person say this, or is this a typo?

I think they meant ME3 was going to have a different section where you controlled Joker.

As for the non-humanoid squadmates, I would have quite liked something like an Elcor, Hanar or Rachni in the squad. Closest we got was the Volus in multiplayer.
NinthGeorgesw 42

Postby OXM ETboy » 09 May 2013, 20:02

This one is psyched! This one is about to lay the smackdown upon the criminal scum's lustful rectal cavity!
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby OXM ETboy » 09 May 2013, 20:02

Metalrodent wrote:I would subscribe, but I already own Hitman Absolution - how about giving away a game I don't own ;)

We're doing Far Cry 3 next, if that's of interest. I suspect you've got that one too, though.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Metalrodent » 09 May 2013, 20:04

OXM ETboy wrote:
Metalrodent wrote:I would subscribe, but I already own Hitman Absolution - how about giving away a game I don't own ;)

We're doing Far Cry 3 next, if that's of interest. I suspect you've got that one too, though.

haha as it happens I do
People get confused when a sentence doesn't end the way they potato.

Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Postby Droidsbane » 09 May 2013, 21:04

maybe if they didt pour resourcxes into the war assets gimmick we could have gotten a non-humanoid squadmate
Droidsbane 33

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 09 May 2013, 23:32

A section where Shepard fires a heavy weapon from the back of an Elcor would of made up for the crappy endings :lol:
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby mistergrimm » 10 May 2013, 07:51

If they managed a dog for Dragon Age, they can manage a Hanar damnit!

EDIT: A dog AND a Golem - humanoid, granted, but unable to share her fellow humanoid's equipment.
mistergrimm 33

Postby CunningSmile » 10 May 2013, 12:00

One thing that comes up in the full interview is ideas for future games and I love Casey "awesome" Hudson suggests he would like to do really sounds great to me; a Noir style detective story set entirely on the Citadel featuring a Private Detective. I think the location was really interesting but underused (especially in the later games) so the chance to really explore it will be very welcome.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby SilentDark » 10 May 2013, 12:09

CunningSmile wrote:One thing that comes up in the full interview is ideas for future games and I love Casey "awesome" Hudson suggests he would like to do really sounds great to me; a Noir style detective story set entirely on the Citadel featuring a Private Detective. I think the location was really interesting but underused (especially in the later games) so the chance to really explore it will be very welcome.

This is really interesting. After fighting the reapers how do you top a threat like that? The best move I think would be to do something completely different. Talk of the next game being a prequel raises two likely time frames, the prothean extinction and the first contact war. Both would remove party diversity because they would likely be all the same race (unless we have an arbiter style outsider) more interesting I think is to do something smaller in scale, bringing down a crime syndicate, investigating crimes, something set perhaps during the firsts game, before everything kicks off.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 67

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 10 May 2013, 13:28

SilentDark wrote:After fighting the reapers how do you top a threat like that? The best move I think would be to do something completely different. Talk of the next game being a prequel raises two likely time frames, the prothean extinction and the first contact war.

I think prequels are the only option to the continuation of the Mass Effect franchise. I agree that they shouldn't try and top the Reapers at all, leave Shepard and the Battle against the Reapers as the final Chapter. The alternative is having to make one of the 4 endings of ME3 as canon, which from what I hear Bioware's preferred ending is Synthesis, which I adamantly hate. Destroy all the way for me.

I like the idea of the Prothean extinction, did you get the Javik DLC? Its pretty revealing about just how the Protheans became so dominant in their cycle and their own problems with synthetics. It would be a very different galaxy compared to the democratic one we have in ME 1-3.

Also it was kind of an @sshole move making us pay for a character that actually has a lot of information on the previous cycle and some revealing dialog on the Thessia mission. But hey, that's EA for you
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby CunningSmile » 10 May 2013, 14:03

SilentDark wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:One thing that comes up in the full interview is ideas for future games and I love Casey "awesome" Hudson suggests he would like to do really sounds great to me; a Noir style detective story set entirely on the Citadel featuring a Private Detective. I think the location was really interesting but underused (especially in the later games) so the chance to really explore it will be very welcome.

This is really interesting. After fighting the reapers how do you top a threat like that? The best move I think would be to do something completely different. Talk of the next game being a prequel raises two likely time frames, the prothean extinction and the first contact war. Both would remove party diversity because they would likely be all the same race (unless we have an arbiter style outsider) more interesting I think is to do something smaller in scale, bringing down a crime syndicate, investigating crimes, something set perhaps during the firsts game, before everything kicks off.

Exactly my thoughts. You can't top saving the galaxy, so make it really intimate, one cynical PI saving one person and use Bioware's talent for characters to really make you care about them. Plus the pre-Reaper Citadel has more than enough variety in location and races that done right (and not like Dragon Age 2) I think you could still have a lot of that sense of wonder and exploration.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby Darquess » 10 May 2013, 18:00

Thats because of the fact that Dragon Age: Origins is an actual, full length Role Playing game, with just about every race (icluding darkspawn in dlc) as playable characters, massive dialogue option, of which none are vioced so you can believe that you are that person (hence the ROLE-PLAY part of RPG).

Mass Effect is not an RPG in that sense. You do not role play. You take control of a character called Shepard, who either is an evil twat or a boy scout (and add in a female version for not much difference).
His/Her vioce is spoken through actors, not you. The options you pick are spoken differently by the character, thus breaking immersion.

So in this sense, Mass Effect is not an RPG game at all, more of a Space Opera game where there is space magic, in depth moral choices... but very little in the way of role-play because you are not playing a role as much as you are locked into playing one of two roles... a pargon or a renagade.
Darquess 15

Next