Watch Dogs' open world systems revealed - smashing GTA into

Your comments on our articles.

Not quite a completely new breed of sandbox, but pretty damn close

When Ubisoft revealed Watch Dogs at its E3 2012 conference, it was if somebody had opened an industry-sized window onto a palpably "next generation" landscape, where masked thugs play mindgames with the security systems of an entire, breathtakingly realised city. Perhaps inevitably, the realities of the project are a touch less showy.... read more

Watch Dogs' open world systems revealed - smashing GTA into

Postby scotty » 10 May 2013, 15:15

It looks and sounds really promising, while I won't be pre-ordering or buying on day one, it does look (currently) to be a definite purchase for me.
scotty 52

Re: Watch Dogs' open world systems revealed - smashing GTA i

Postby CunningSmile » 10 May 2013, 15:22

I'm about the same Scotty. I've previously happily preordered all the Assassins Creed games but felt so let down by AC3 I'm a little dubious if this will be worth it or just a thinly veiled modern day Assassins Creed. More previews and possibly reviews will make my mind up on whether to pick it up day one or wait for the price to drop. Either way I'll definately buy at some point.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby Grummy » 10 May 2013, 15:29

Assassin's Creed also contributes a progressively unlocking map, by way of which Aiden infiltrates and hacks "CTOS....

You meant Watch Dogs and not Assassin's Creed there, no?

I have the slightest twinge of disappointment that the digital age cyber-spy is actually revealing itself to be little more than a foundation to build a GTA style game from, but when I think about it, I'm not sure exactly what else we could have expected from it. Open World sandbox it maybe, but it seems to be as far away from traditional GTA as it could possibly be in that setting. I really don't know what else we could expect from the game. It appears to do all the things it should do, and makes the game intriguing and fun, It's the game I'm most excited for this year and a definite day 1 for me.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 10 May 2013, 15:31

Nah, I meant as in "AC contributes X [to Watch Dogs]". It's not very clear, I'll update that.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Xu En » 10 May 2013, 15:38

Sounds like another barrel of fun from Ubisoft - I'm reminded of the first 10 mins of Splinter Cell Conviction where Fisher first explains to his 10 year old daughter how to kill a man from the shadows before breaking the neck of an intruder who intended to rape his wife. Nice!

UBI's AAA title technology, graphics, polish, animation and so are great, but they seem to completely miss the plot when it comes to game play - eg the Assassin's Creed series developmed into an open world free running engine straight-jacketed into some of the most linear restrictive missions that have ever been made (AC:Revalations and ACIII)

I hope that they can/have/do fix this.
Xu En 18

Postby Decent_Jam » 10 May 2013, 15:55

They have my curiosity, they are yet to have my attention.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : MCC, Sunset O, Destiny, TF, Forza 5, KI - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 63

Postby cade360 » 10 May 2013, 16:34

Decent_Jam wrote:They have my curiosity, they are yet to have my attention.

I recognise that quote... Where from? I can't think :(

Seriously looking forward to this game, hopefully we see a Durango demo on May 21 :)
There is no such thing as peace in our modern world.
cade360 15

Postby OXM ETboy » 10 May 2013, 16:37

cade360 wrote:

Seriously looking forward to this game, hopefully we see a Durango demo on May 21 :)

Braveheart.

Oh wait, that's "freedom".
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby mariachi2000 » 10 May 2013, 17:56

cade360 wrote:

Django Unchained - Leonardo Di Caprio's line from the trailer
mariachi2000 37

Postby Crisco » 10 May 2013, 18:27

I'm quite excited about this. I've watched a few gameplay videos on GameTrailers and it looks outstanding. Hopefully they have a lot more secrets up their sleeves about how you can use your phone to interact with the world.
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 48

Postby fracturedrich » 10 May 2013, 20:29

Ime dubious with all this cross gen thing as i never done it last time,the games that were released on the xbox and 360, i only played them on xbox and left it there.It is going to be different this time but are these games going to be that good we will want to buy them twice,this does sound good enough for once but i will want more as ubi needs to pull one out the bag this time,after the ok only ac3.
fracturedrich 48

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 10 May 2013, 20:34

Sounds like a very promising game, but then so did Assassins Creed 3. Think I can live without it, its certainly not enough to warrant the purchase of a brand new console.

Hurry up new Xbox unveiling day
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby fracturedrich » 10 May 2013, 21:05

Ime in a good place with gaming at the moment and ive always said i like to have a good game in my collection of each type.Ime nearly there i just need gta,i even have the near perfect fighting game and i never thought that would happen.When gta drops i need someone to freeze time as next consoles can wait ime pretty into this one at the moment.
fracturedrich 48

Postby funkysideorder » 11 May 2013, 08:46

Looks good to me, I've got my eye on this one. I hope it's not too much like Assassins Creed as those games lost their appeal for me. I couldn't get into Revelations at all :( I hope it's as deep and connected as it claims to be, the idea that you might be able to 'invade' other players worlds and send them texts sounds a bit like Dark Souls which can only be a good thing. I can't believe that mechanic hasn't been used more often!

Either way, it's a definite buy at some point :D
funkysideorder 21