to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Camera Obscura: Why the Project Zero series should be revive

Your comments on our articles.

Take a walk through Himuro's forgotten halls

Torch gripped tightly in hand, I ascend the mouldering stairs of the mansion and slide the tearing paper partition to. A room, deathly quiet and lit by a single, stuttering candle greets me. It's empty, but for a second I could have sworn I saw a twisted face framed with long, lank hair staring back at me from the shadows. I ready my camera.... read more

Camera Obscura: Why the Project Zero series should be revive

Postby harkking » 11 May 2013, 12:47

Without a doubt it should be remade , with all the bells and whistles of the next gen consoles....it would have been worth it on this gen.... the second game on the old xbox scared the crap out of me...my heart rate would increase at every corridor .......... on the subject of old games that need a re-boot , how about Toy Commander from the Dreamcast...
harkking 34

Re: Camera Obscura: Why the Project Zero series should be re

Postby michaelhill2110 » 11 May 2013, 14:11

scarily me and my mate were discussing this very topic, and indeed this game. we both came to the same conclusion, monsters, serial killers, aliens, not scary... just get something big and heavy and start swinging. but to fight something that you can't hit/shoot/trap etc. THAT is scary.

Project zero made you feel basically powerless. against things that can only be fought off 1 way, instead of 5 ways. a remake would be something to truly make me go back to horror.
michaelhill2110 35

Postby SilentDark » 11 May 2013, 14:14

Personally I don't get the clamour for remakes of old games with the sexier graphics. They were fine as they are, I would love a Project Zero 5 (since Tecmo and Nintendo couldn't come to terms on releasing PZ 4 in the west) but I really don't get the remake games we've already played thing (I have a lot of hate towards the FFVII crowd because of this kind of attitude, but they do tend to be a little crazier than most :) )
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 63

Postby TomAZ600 » 11 May 2013, 14:49

If only this was backward compatible. But another one to be remade is Call of Cthulu, which is backward compatible, if ridiculously hard to find. With that fear and sanity meter, that made the game scary. My friend was talking about Amnesia on Steam which was meant to be scary, we should get a port of that. Personally I have been playing White Noise to get my scares, and then getting others to play it while I watch and laugh at their reactions.
TomAZ600 33

Postby Metalrodent » 11 May 2013, 16:11

The Project Zero games were/are terrifying, recently played through most of the wii remake of 2 and it is so tense and fear installing (even if they did make the combat stupidly overhard).

The xbox (and hopefully nextbox) needs more of it's ilk, I grow tired of zombies and dead space style repetetive gore horrors being the only recent releases for horror.
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 70

Postby CunningSmile » 13 May 2013, 09:55

I'm not entirely sure if a new Project Zero would work to be honest. Love the first game (and was too frightened to play the second :oops: ) but I think one of the things that's killed the survival horror is that the consoles are too powerful now.

As Aoife argues in the Graphics hot topic, and mentions above, a lot of the older survival horrors including Project Zero benefit from the grainy textures, fixed camera angles and poor lighting. In most cases these were design choices to get around limitations of the console and the CRT TV you were playing it on. Switch to the current crop of hinted at next gen games and we have photo realistic, well lit games with free roaming cameras. Gone for good are the "What was that?" moments, because the image won't have been lo-res enough on your 50 inch HDTV home cinema system to leave you in any doubt, and no developer will release a game with a fixed camera or poor lighting because they'll worry that complaints from internet idiots who miss the point about it will lower their metacritic score.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator