to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

An hour with Saints Row 4: Inflate-o-Rays, ice guns and paro

Your comments on our articles.

Volition takes "Presidential powers" a bit too literally

Volition has done it. It's topped itself. Saints Row: The Third, in case you've forgotten, was an open-world crime game with a Tron parody, a zombie outbreak, a mission in which you calmed down an angry tiger by doing powerslides, and another in which objectives were handed out to you by an autotuned pimp. It let you choose between battering people to death with a giant, purple dildo, or shooting sea creatures at them from something called the Mollusk Launcher. It was stupid, delirious madness.... read more

An hour with Saints Row 4: Inflate-o-Rays, ice guns and paro

Postby Wow » 11 May 2013, 13:20

Wow, I love your reference to how THQ just blew a raspberry to Rockstar, and also how you insultingly apologize to them, when this SR3 Is one of the most controversial games to their fanbase as about half of them absolutely hated that and about one forth of their fanbase gave up on the series, and Im guessing that other forth when they see no apologetic game or change and a cookie cutter copy of SR3 that Is as bitter as the graphics(If possible). So Im guessing when you "apologized" to Rockstar they silently chuckled In their heads knowing they now owned half of a fanbase and were developing a game that has a 99% chance of being better than all SR games combined, so I think you mean "thank you" Rockstar for delivering games that aren't developed In a little over a year(pathetic).
Wow 1

Re: An hour with Saints Row 4: Inflate-o-Rays, ice guns and

Postby SilentDark » 11 May 2013, 14:09

Wow wrote:Wow, I love your reference to how THQ just blew a raspberry to Rockstar, and also how you insultingly apologize to them, when this SR3 Is one of the most controversial games to their fanbase as about half of them absolutely hated that and about one forth of their fanbase gave up on the series, and Im guessing that other forth when they see no apologetic game or change and a cookie cutter copy of SR3 that Is as bitter as the graphics(If possible). So Im guessing when you "apologized" to Rockstar they silently chuckled In their heads knowing they now owned half of a fanbase and were developing a game that has a 99% chance of being better than all SR games combined, so I think you mean "thank you" Rockstar for delivering games that aren't developed In a little over a year(pathetic).

Saint's Row tried to be a GTA beater, but they failed, let's face it GTA can't be beaten, just like CoD can't be beaten as a realistic FPS, many have tried, all have failed so Volition did something that all these other companies should take note of, they changed, they took the open world premise and injected their own brand of humour into it. Some people didn't like the new humour, some felt they went too far with SR3, sure it's juvenile but with the new Superpowers and wacky guns Saint's Row can truly say it has carved it's own identity. GTA 5 will be a big hit, make Rockstar a lot of money, I'll probably get it myself at some point, but I'm more excited about this game. When Spiderman 2 came out for the PS2/Xbox/gamecube it was probably one of the best recieved superhero games at the time, many Spiderman titles would return to the open world gameplay afterwards. This is basically what that would be like if you were playing as a supervillain instead, and to me that is awesome. Saint's Row shouldn't have lasted past the first game, it has and offers a genuine alternative to GTA, it's not a GTA beater, it's a different experience for a different mindset.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 65

Postby benjedimaster » 11 May 2013, 15:45

SilentDark wrote:Saint's Row tried to be a GTA beater, but they failed, let's face it GTA can't be beaten, just like CoD can't be beaten as a realistic FPS, many have tried, all have failed..

*Ahem* Gonna have to stop you right there... CoD is REALISTIC?! Don't make me laugh, a game where you need to shoot a clip into a window to shatter it and a 50.cal bullet is shot into a guy's torso and he shrugs it off and shoots you down with 2 bullets from an SMG? And don't get me started on the knife which seems to be made of rubber and the lack of bullet drop.
Battlefield on the other hand does all this so much better and more realistically, each bullet does varying damage depending on the hit placement, it doesn't have ridiculous hit hit-boxes where a throwing knife/hatchet doesn't hit thin air by your hand and kills you by grazing your skin. To round up, CoD isn't realistic, it's an arcade shooter that I can't stand due to it's unrealistic nature and the frequented by a bunch of potty mouthed children. Anyway, rant over, carry on.
-B
benjedimaster 8

Postby Metalrodent » 11 May 2013, 16:06

benjedimaster wrote:
SilentDark wrote:Saint's Row tried to be a GTA beater, but they failed, let's face it GTA can't be beaten, just like CoD can't be beaten as a realistic FPS, many have tried, all have failed..

*Ahem* Gonna have to stop you right there... CoD is REALISTIC?! Don't make me laugh, a game where you need to shoot a clip into a window to shatter it and a 50.cal bullet is shot into a guy's torso and he shrugs it off and shoots you down with 2 bullets from an SMG? And don't get me started on the knife which seems to be made of rubber and the lack of bullet drop.
Battlefield on the other hand does all this so much better and more realistically, each bullet does varying damage depending on the hit placement, it doesn't have ridiculous hit hit-boxes where a throwing knife/hatchet doesn't hit thin air by your hand and kills you by grazing your skin. To round up, CoD isn't realistic, it's an arcade shooter that I can't stand due to it's unrealistic nature and the frequented by a bunch of potty mouthed children. Anyway, rant over, carry on.
-B

Just for the record, Battefield isn't exactly realistic either - the bullet drop is far too exagerated and you can still be killed by getting shot repeatedly in the foot
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby SilentDark » 11 May 2013, 17:27

benjedimaster wrote:

-B

By realistic I meant more the setting, real world, actual weapon models and makes that do exist, as opposed to blatantly sci fi shooters like Halo or even fantasy shooters like Heretic (showing my age there :) ). A poor choice of words I admit. :oops:
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 65

Postby Drainwater » 11 May 2013, 20:31

Wow wrote:Wow, I love your reference to how THQ just blew a raspberry to Rockstar, and also how you insultingly apologize to them, when this SR3 Is one of the most controversial games to their fanbase as about half of them absolutely hated that and about one forth of their fanbase gave up on the series, and Im guessing that other forth when they see no apologetic game or change and a cookie cutter copy of SR3 that Is as bitter as the graphics(If possible). So Im guessing when you "apologized" to Rockstar they silently chuckled In their heads knowing they now owned half of a fanbase and were developing a game that has a 99% chance of being better than all SR games combined, so I think you mean "thank you" Rockstar for delivering games that aren't developed In a little over a year(pathetic).

Well they might have lost half of their fanbase with Saints Row 3, but I'd be willing to bet they made up those losses with new fans. I hadn't even touched the Saints Row series until 3 because I saw it for what it was...a GTA knock-off with a different plot. I'd played the first one at a buddy's house and I was most definitely not impressed. When 2 came out I didn't even look twice at it. Then 3 came out and I happened to go to that buddy's house when he was flying the Sci-Fi looking hoverbike around. That caught my interest so I watched him play some more (about 3 hours) and decided to take the plunge and get it. I am very glad I did as it was probably the most fun in an open world game I'd had. GTA (well San Andreas anyway) will probably always be my favorite open world crime drama game, but as I pointed out in another thread Saints Row has went off on a surprising and fun tangent. If I want some serious open world action, I have GTA. If I want fun open world action, I have Saints Row. Different flavors of open world goodness and I like them both...it's way better than just being some knock-off brand now. And for the record, I did go back and play Saints Row 2 after beating 3. It was ok, but really had nothing of its own to offer. Sure it was dramatic, but it didn't beat out GTA in my mind. Now, the series doesn't have to as I don't even compare them anymore. They're just both 3rd person open world games that are very fun for very different reasons.

SilentDark wrote:Saint's Row tried to be a GTA beater, but they failed, let's face it GTA can't be beaten, just like CoD can't be beaten as a realistic FPS, many have tried, all have failed so Volition did something that all these other companies should take note of, they changed, they took the open world premise and injected their own brand of humour into it. Some people didn't like the new humour, some felt they went too far with SR3, sure it's juvenile but with the new Superpowers and wacky guns Saint's Row can truly say it has carved it's own identity. GTA 5 will be a big hit, make Rockstar a lot of money, I'll probably get it myself at some point, but I'm more excited about this game. When Spiderman 2 came out for the PS2/Xbox/gamecube it was probably one of the best recieved superhero games at the time, many Spiderman titles would return to the open world gameplay afterwards. This is basically what that would be like if you were playing as a supervillain instead, and to me that is awesome. Saint's Row shouldn't have lasted past the first game, it has and offers a genuine alternative to GTA, it's not a GTA beater, it's a different experience for a different mindset.

This.
Drainwater 35

Postby Alan Tryth » 12 May 2013, 13:12

From a Dreamer's point of view (well, this Dreamer anyway), the first game was definitely trying to be GTA. I've never been a huge GTA fan (though I did finally start getting into Vice City and San Andreas), and as such, I didn't care too much for the original Saint's Row either. Saints Row II on the other hand is one of the few games I'd recommend to anyone. If you play Saints Row II and you aren't having fun, you're playing it wrong. It was wacky, it was wild, and it basically flipped the middle finger to reality and embraced its nature as a video game, something far too few games really seem to do these days. Playing GTAIV after that was ... unpleasant. Reality, as far as I'm concerned, is far too over-rated in video games. I did like Saints Row the third, but I'd be lying if I said I preferred it over Saints Row II. I'm not sure what it is; Stillwater just felt as though there was more there to do: More ramps, more hidden caves and secret areas ... I remember how shocked I was when I discovered the massive underground mall. Still, I did have a blast, and to me that's what the Saint's Row series is all about; having fun. I'm sure Saints Row 4 will deliver this in droves, and honestly hope they can capture that strange magic from Saints Row II again.

From starting off trying to ape the competition, Saints Row has branched out as the wacky alternative to the more serious GTA series. GTA fans will say GTA is better, Saints Row fans will say Saints Row is better, but it's really down to what kind of gaming experience you're looking for: Over the top wild action vs gritty realism. While realism isn't my thing, Rockstar's work outside the GTA universe has impressed me to the point that I thank both companies for their work.
Alan Tryth 2

Postby Sir Twinkleton » 04 Jun 2013, 21:17

Jesus Christ I came here to hear about saints row not people whining and starting wars you think gta 5 is going to be better than SR4 but that's your opinion somebody else might think that SR4 will be better than gta 5 but who cares these are just opinions no need to fight over which is better.its like ps3 vs xbox they're both just as good but it depends on your opinion.
Sir Twinkleton 1