to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Ask a pro-gamer: getting started, women in eSports and big c

Your comments on our articles.

Zak "Riddlez" Tallis talks getting paid to win

Professional gaming is subject to many preconceptions - and as Aoife discovered during her stint at a recent Call of Duty tournament in Los Angeles, many of those preconceptions are grossly unfair. Often dismissed as a nerdy backwater pursuit, pro-gaming is, on the contrary, a bustling and prosperous sporting culture that demands every bit as much commitment and focus as a "real-world" sport. As part of Turtle Beach's "Britain's Got Gamers" competition to support emerging pro-gamer talent, OXM spoke to eSportsman Zak Tallis (aka "Riddlez") about how he got started, key titles and the industry at large.... read more

Postby Metalrodent » 12 May 2013, 10:34

no matter what they may say, 'professional gamer' is still not a job :lol:
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Silence Sean » 12 May 2013, 10:41

Seems like the women in gaming thing is similar to athletic sports.

I managed to get into the world cup final for women's football in London. Where was this prestigious event held, you probably aren't asking?

You'd probably assume Wembley. Nope, not even close, the stadium for Leyton Orient.
Silence Sean 22

Re: Ask a pro-gamer: getting started, women in eSports and b

Postby mygoditsASH » 12 May 2013, 11:43

Metalrodent wrote:no matter what they may say, 'professional gamer' is still not a job :lol:

See this is where your wrong! eSports has been around for years on PC and there use to be some amazing tournaments back in the early 2000's with CPL, WCG, ESWC etc (some of which are still going today) and there are still & have been players who have been provided with full time team accomodation to live, eat & practice with to bring them closer together as a team, full expenses paid travel & hotel for all the events, the obvious prize money (look at NiP with CS over the years, specially with CS:GO - they have won EVERY main tournament going minus one & with a good couple of thousand pounds prize money at each event, between 5 thats a LOT of money throughout the year) and not to mention actual player SALARIES! So eSports has become a very real life job for some & as eSports continues to grow, so will the job!

Just look at Korea etc.. for a professional gamer there, the salary is actually far ABOVE national average :)
mygoditsASH 2

Postby fracturedrich » 12 May 2013, 15:12

Ime still wondering why i was not snapped up ages ago,i spend more time gaming than an athlete spends training,its because ime shit at cod,no ime ok really.I could not spend all that time on one game,i like variety to much for that.I do take my hat of to them though,i prefer starcraft 2 to call of duty but i hope that the future brings more for pro gamers as i learn a lot from them for my casual gaming and i enjoy to sit back and watch a tournament every now and then.
fracturedrich 47

Postby Crisco » 12 May 2013, 19:29

It's great for people who are good at games but I'm not and probably never will be. Like Fracturedrich I like to play a lot of different games, I don't play one certain game, or type of game, enough to ever be better than half decent. I think it's like playing an instrument, you'll be terrible at first but if you practice enough you will get better.

Also I don't believe that fella's first headset was a pair of Turtle Beach X1s, but fair play to him for bigging up the sponsors :)
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 46

Postby Insaneyokel » 12 May 2013, 22:13

:roll: oh girl gamers, what an anonomaly :roll: yes girls plays games stop making such an issue over it :lol:
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby Plamsa wing » 13 May 2013, 00:01

Don't lie Yokel, they're as rare as a North Korean warmonger. :wink:
I've bitten off more than I can choux.
Plamsa wing 56

Postby Maverick_McCool » 13 May 2013, 04:00

O.K , lets put this into perspective a little bit.......

First off , the guy's comments are in the main completley redundant , this guy freely admits to being a COD player , just a COD player saying "epsorts are gonna be massive soon!". It's like Wayne Rooney commenting on Sumo Wrestling , it means nothing.

I have nothing against COD , I don't play it and I don't care about it but because It's the most popular game in the world it's viewed as a flagship as this whole "esport" phenomenon (if this article is to be believed.) and by proxy , if you are great at COD , I mean really great at COD , you will win money by being a "pro-gamer" and that's cool right? Right?

Well , yeah , it is kind of cool , but for this guy to declare his opinions on gaming as sport purely on the basis of his knowledge and skill at one game , or even one type of game screams of arrogance and an ignorance of just what being a "gamer" actualy is.

To give another example , it's no different than Sir Alex Ferguson after his recent retirement , deciding to coach the next Olympic figure skating team. "Hey it's sport , they are all the same , if you're good at one you're good at them all yeah?"

Or , if you want an "esport" related example , I went through Classic/Ironman on X-com without breaking a sweat , I've beaten Ozma on FFIX more times than I care to think of , to say nothing of Emerald/Ruby Weapon on FFVII. I've smashed through Ninja Gainden Black and Ninja Gainden 2 with barely a struggle and my win percentage on every fighter I've played online is well above %60 , oh , and I'm ranked 32 in the world in Injustice Survivor mode.

None of that matters of course , because , put me in an fps , and for some reason I turn into a complete moron!

My point is , if you are lucky enough to be good enough at a game and it's publishers and sponsers want to give you money for being so , I wish you all the best and have nothing against that at all.

But don't presume you speak on behalf of all gamers when you only play one game.

And on the subject of female gamers , personaly , I could care less what sex my opponent/partner is as long as they are fun to play with (oo-err).
I used to make arrow in the knee jokes , then Arm Fall Off Boy kicked me in the balls....... Come on Boon , quit teasing us with DLC characters we don't want , give us Arm Fall Off Boy dammit! Or at least give us Detective Chimp........
Maverick_McCool 45

Postby Savoci » 13 May 2013, 09:48

Metalrodent wrote:no matter what they may say, 'professional gamer' is still not a job :lol:

Agreed. There's no such thing. It's simply some (failing) plan to have games "taken seriously" by the media and by the public. Stop trying to make games into a sport, they're not :D
Savoci 18

Postby FishyGinger » 13 May 2013, 10:10

Savoci wrote:

Agreed. There's no such thing. It's simply some (failing) plan to have games "taken seriously" by the media and by the public. Stop trying to make games into a sport, they're not :D

Ha, what's your job? Playing games...no really what's your job?

I suppose you'd get employee of the month for a monster kill. Now I'm off to earn my salary as an architect. Minecrafts great isn't it.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby Melllow » 13 May 2013, 16:24

Savoci wrote:

There's some truth in what you've said. Generally Pro Gaming is thrown around as a name that refers to the top level of gaming competition in an effort to make the whole thing appear more glamourous. In mainstream media it's often exaggerated how much the players can or do earn also for whatever reason. That being said, there are legitimate professional gamers out there and the sums of money Zak talks about are legitimate and a fair representation of what he has earned. If someone earns their money playing and competing then by definition they are a professional gamer. In the same way a teacher is a professional teacher because they earn their salary from doing so. I agree that games are not a sport and never will be, but a professional doesn't have to be a paid sportsman. A professional is simply defined as a person who is engaged in a certain activity as means of livelihood. If that activity is gaming then by definition they are a professional gamer. :D

Also to the guy talking about shout outs to the sponsors, I can see that it will appear like that is the case but actually the TB X1s were the first headset of many, many players who compete regularly on games on Xbox 360. The X1 headset became hugely popular because of its quality vs price and was the go to hardware for lots of gamers, especially on Call of Duty 4. It just so happens that Turtle Beach are now targeting the higher end of the competitive gaming spectrum with this new headset.
Melllow 1

Postby Savoci » 14 May 2013, 16:05

There's some truth in what you've said. Generally Pro Gaming is thrown around as a name that refers to the top level of gaming competition in an effort to make the whole thing appear more glamourous. In mainstream media it's often exaggerated how much the players can or do earn also for whatever reason. That being said, there are legitimate professional gamers out there and the sums of money Zak talks about are legitimate and a fair representation of what he has earned. If someone earns their money playing and competing then by definition they are a professional gamer. In the same way a teacher is a professional teacher because they earn their salary from doing so. I agree that games are not a sport and never will be, but a professional doesn't have to be a paid sportsman. A professional is simply defined as a person who is engaged in a certain activity as means of livelihood. If that activity is gaming then by definition they are a professional gamer. :D

Also to the guy talking about shout outs to the sponsors, I can see that it will appear like that is the case but actually the TB X1s were the first headset of many, many players who compete regularly on games on Xbox 360. The X1 headset became hugely popular because of its quality vs price and was the go to hardware for lots of gamers, especially on Call of Duty 4. It just so happens that Turtle Beach are now targeting the higher end of the competitive gaming spectrum with this new headset.

I respect your opinion, but disagree :) I can never see gaming as "professional" and I don't see why people should be paid for doing so. Sitting there while shooting virtual guns or whatever isn't a profession. To be able to get multiple, quickscope, backflip headshots won't contribute to society like, to use your example, a professional teacher would so, for that reason, I can't accept professional gaming.
Savoci 18