to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

BioWare talks possible Mass Effect spin-offs - Garrus, Illus

Your comments on our articles.

"There's so much that could be told in the Mass Effect universe."

BioWare may be done with Commander Shepard, but there are plenty of other candidates for the role of Mass Effect lead. Speaking to OXM in our new issue, on sale now, the developer's Casey Hudson, Mac Walters, Dusty Everman, Mike Gamble and Preston Watamaniuk have discussed a few of the spin-off games that might yet be.... read more

BioWare talks possible Mass Effect spin-offs - Garrus, Illus

Postby Tug » 12 May 2013, 13:11

They should make a Blasto spin-off.
Last edited by Tug on 18 May 2013, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
Tug 27

Re: BioWare talks possible Mass Effect spin-offs - Garrus, I

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 12 May 2013, 13:24

Saren and the events that led up to him being contacted and then subsequently indoctrinated by Sovereign would be pretty cool. Everyone loves playing the bad guy
Johnbhoy69 54

Space Scoundrels

Postby Alan Tryth » 12 May 2013, 13:25

I'd like to see something akin to Firefly; we've already played a polished military man (or woman); I want to play a scruffy nerfherder scoundrel and his vagabond crew. Maybe throw in an upgradable ship, and not like Mass Effect 2: Let me customize the heck out of my ship.

Saving the universe is a good goal, but don't forget that the ever alluring call of wealth and fame can be just as exciting a motivation to go adventuring through the cosmos, especially if there are some interesting road blocks in the way; new alien species, space pirates (yes, oh god PLEASE space pirates), Maybe even some Doctor Who-esque problems here and there.
Alan Tryth 2

Postby fracturedrich » 12 May 2013, 13:35

It would be a waste to leave it alone,it is a universe with endless possible story's to be told.I would count being made a spectre as the best moment in video gaming history ever,mass effect will go down as the best created universe i have ever come across ,my opinion anyway.I love the krogan,so for me i would like it round the time of the great krogan wars but with new races and planets.I would like saren when he was a good guy in his spectre days.To be honest the further they went back the better,or to make a stand alone game made around the universe of mass effect without any one we no,with new story lines and races,i am game for both as long as its good and not just a cash in.
fracturedrich 47

Postby Adam Acuo » 12 May 2013, 16:40

Not to be negative, but we're talking about EA here... any "spin off" series is going to be sent to some backwater studio, given a budget to match and try to cash in on any remaining positive sentiments we may have toward the franchise or the characters.
Adam Acuo 5

Postby Insaneyokel » 12 May 2013, 17:12

I found that Garrus was the best character for me. Another character that could be worth a look would be thane, I think his back story souls be very interesting
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby OXM ETboy » 12 May 2013, 17:14

Just me who's rooting for Miranda, then?
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Metalrodent » 12 May 2013, 17:17

OXM ETboy wrote:Just me who's rooting for Miranda, then?

depends what her outfit is ;)
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 70

Postby captainhetty » 12 May 2013, 18:03

Oh Miranda, mistress of my soul.

On a serious note, though, I'd really like to see something set before Shepard's story. Krogan Rebellion, First Contact War. Maybe as far back as the Protheans. There's so much they could do with it, it'd be a shame to not to.
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 58

Postby harbinger50 » 12 May 2013, 18:21

Just thought of it- what about an anti-hero spin-off, you know the badasses taking the lead? Keep Garrus in it even though he's less renegade than the rest of 'my team' - Jack, Javik, and Grunt. I'd have added Thane if possible. A story involving those three, plus Garrus serving the role of leader/conscience COULD be amazing in a post Reaper universe... that means Red ending. Yep. No way around. You can only do a good spin-off/sequel with the Red ending. Of course, I've always thought that no human lead means no big audience (read- no big payday on the business side of this) so I may have to work this story to fix that...
harbinger50 1

Postby SilentDark » 12 May 2013, 20:29

Personally I like the PI on the citadel thing. Taking characters who we've already seen and know what happens to them, well you can't make any danger in the game seem real. You know how it ends, it's like reading the last five chapters in a book and then going back to the begining. It's not nearly as satisfying.

One thing I really want in any future Mass Effect is greater character customisation, more races, more classes not just the same old Fighter/Mage/Thief setup we got here and more options for characters, something like the feats system in D&D or the Perks system in fallout. Giving us more options will allow us to create a character that is truly unique.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 63

Postby Waffles2541 » 12 May 2013, 21:07

Garrus Noire!!! Everyone's favourite Turian investigating the many crimes and conspiracies that the Citadel has to offer.
I had fun once, it was awful.
Waffles2541 40

Postby OXM ETboy » 12 May 2013, 21:11

Waffles2541 wrote:Garrus Noire!!! Everyone's favourite Turian investigating the many crimes and conspiracies that the Citadel has to offer.

Needs Photoshop.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Insaneyokel » 12 May 2013, 21:32

That would be totally cool. The only problem with Miranda would be what would her story actually consist of? Apart from the tendency to wear various provocative costumes
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby Metalrodent » 12 May 2013, 21:40

Insaneyokel wrote:That would be totally cool. The only problem with Miranda would be what would her story actually consist of? Apart from the tendency to wear various provocative costumes

who needs a story xD
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 70

Next