to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Why you don't want to know about Watch Dogs multiplayer

Your comments on our articles.

Some mysteries are best left... mysterious

As I wrote in our recent Watch Dogs preview, the game's online and multiplayer features are shaping up to be its key departures from obvious influences such as Grand Theft Auto and Assassin's Creed. That's bad news for Ubisoft in some ways, however, because the strength of the online offering appears heavily reliant on secrecy, on rousing the player's curiosity. How on Earth, then, will the publisher preview this aspect of the experience without castrating it? I joined creative director Jonathan Morin for a dance on the PR tightrope.... read more

Postby PaladinRonin » 14 May 2013, 18:49

I reall like how they used an old trailer, but put a diffrent point of view to it and explained why there is so much sercurty around.
"I am justice incarnate: Brought to this world by forces beyond your comprehension. A cleansing storm to sweep across the land and purge it of your foul presence. I am Dust."
PaladinRonin 32

Postby Mohammad Khan » 14 May 2013, 19:16

Pardon me, but I resent your comparing of Watch Dogs with GTA and Assassin's Creed. Although the game is brought from the same studio as Assassin's Creed, it is not similar due to the fact that you are not really out to kill everyone whenever you feel like it until it's required like with Joseph DeMarco. Second it's not GTA because it's not crime related. However, you are given a choice to either do what is right or what is bad given the fact that the content and interpretation of the game's events are for you to decide as to how you want to play it. You can be stealthy or openly aggressive, be non-lethal or the other, intervene to stop a crime or let it happen with out you doing anything. People claiming it to be scripted may want to read the articles of those websites that have actually witnessed the 45 min demo of the game. You will see that a robbery will never happen the same way as it did before in your previous attempt, it will just fold onto itself and even the creators don't know when such events will unfold and exactly how, where and when. Bottom line is, it's your game with you holding the pen. So the real question is, how will you shape the story of Watch Dogs?
Mohammad Khan 2

Re: Why you don't want to know about Watch Dogs multiplayer

Postby OXM ETboy » 14 May 2013, 19:51

I was among those who attended last week's hour-long gameplay demo in Paris, Mohammed. From what I've seen, the comparisons are perfectly valid, and the developers were happy to acknowledge this in interviews. See my earlier preview for more on that front. That's not to say Watch Dogs is merely a clone, of course, but it's less of a clean break than it appears.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby TomAZ600 » 15 May 2013, 08:25

"Its a mix of GTA and Assassins Creed", You mean its's just a GTA where you can be a good guy? AC has just become GTA but just in a period setting. I mean look at Brotherhood and Revelations, you weren't even sticking to your name sake (Assassinating) and when you were you had no idea why, and I'm one to try and find a story where other people would lose interest. Yeah Watch Dogs looks good, even though it does look like a mismatch of GTA, period GTA, Mindjack and Deus Ex. But lets be honest, it's going to be an 18 so there is no point in me getting excited about it.
TomAZ600 35

Postby Crisco » 16 May 2013, 01:17

Why do you think there's no point getting excited over it because it will have an 18 rating, Tom?

Edit: Ah sorry, I'm assuming you're under 18. You could probably still get it from somewhere.
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 46

Postby FishyGinger » 16 May 2013, 08:57

Crisco wrote:Why do you think there's no point getting excited over it because it will have an 18 rating, Tom?

Edit: Ah sorry, I'm assuming you're under 18. You could probably still get it from somewhere.

That's a very irresponsible thing to say. If he/she/it is under the age rating you shouldn't be saying he/she/it should get it. Naughty pooch. You'll turn him/her/it into a hardened murderer/murdereress/murd.....something.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby CunningSmile » 16 May 2013, 09:23

TomAZ600 wrote:"Its a mix of GTA and Assassins Creed", You mean its's just a GTA where you can be a good guy? AC has just become GTA but just in a period setting. I mean look at Brotherhood and Revelations, you weren't even sticking to your name sake (Assassinating) and when you were you had no idea why, and I'm one to try and find a story where other people would lose interest. Yeah Watch Dogs looks good, even though it does look like a mismatch of GTA, period GTA, Mindjack and Deus Ex. But lets be honest, it's going to be an 18 so there is no point in me getting excited about it.

Assuming you won't get it because you're under 18 congratulations on being the only responsible teenage gamer out there. You have my ultimate respect.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Crisco » 16 May 2013, 19:04

FishyGinger wrote:
Crisco wrote:Why do you think there's no point getting excited over it because it will have an 18 rating, Tom?

That's a very irresponsible thing to say. If he/she/it is under the age rating you shouldn't be saying he/she/it should get it. Naughty pooch. You'll turn him/her/it into a hardened murderer/murdereress/murd.....something.

:lol:

The way I see it, more time spent playing violent games = less time spent murdering (I'm not saying you're a murderer, Tommo (Can I call you Tommo?) just trying to justify giving bad advice).
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 46

Postby Gazisdaman » 16 May 2013, 19:51

Up until this point I hadn't realized that this is essentially Person of Interest in game format.
Gazisdaman 35

Postby Dave101 » 27 May 2013, 02:20

i resent you resenting the comparison, why its also similar to pac mac, you control a character achieving objectives while avoiding the bad guys, occasionally turning the tables on them by hunting them down!
Dave101 16