to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Rumour: Microsoft to kill off Microsoft Points for next gen

Your comments on our articles.

Sources suggest shift to cash transactions and gift cards

Microsoft is getting rid of Xbox 360's long-running Microsoft Points system, according to sources close to the Verge. The manufacturer will announce the demise of Points at E3, we're told, following the reveal of the next generation Xbox console on 21st May.... read more

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 15 May 2013, 13:31

It makes sense really - just pay in real world currency. Will the available point stash that you have will they be redeemable in some form or another though?
Vulgar Plebeian 47

Postby Windowlicker79 » 15 May 2013, 13:31

Good. They've been committing daylight robbery all these years by only making them available in denominations that don't actually match the cost of DLC and XBLA games. Its never made any sense.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 54

Re: Rumour: Microsoft to kill off Microsoft Points for next

Postby Chameleon » 15 May 2013, 13:48

The only issue I can see is the currency rate conversion. MS has screwed UK (and Europe to a lesser extent, I think) prices with Games on Demand, and I can't see them changing the habit. I can see DLCs priced at £10 in the UK selling for $10 in the US. Maybe the transparency will get them to think about pricing a little more? One can only hope.
Chameleon 44

Postby CunningSmile » 15 May 2013, 14:01

How will the Rewards work if they can't give us points?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby TheHypocrite07 » 15 May 2013, 14:02

not a big fan of having my card connected to my xbox because the last time I had an account connected it was hacked and i would have lost a lot of money if I hadn't caught it right away
TheHypocrite07 14

Postby Windowlicker79 » 15 May 2013, 14:14

TheHypocrite07 wrote:not a big fan of having my card connected to my xbox because the last time I had an account connected it was hacked and i would have lost a lot of money if I hadn't caught it right away

Your account was hacked? Do you mean you fell for that phishing scam a couple of years ago? That is the only way your account could have been illegally accessed, unless you have a very simple password, like "password" or "xbox".
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 54

Postby msbhvn » 15 May 2013, 14:25

Windowlicker79 wrote:
TheHypocrite07 wrote:not a big fan of having my card connected to my xbox because the last time I had an account connected it was hacked and i would have lost a lot of money if I hadn't caught it right away

Your account was hacked? Do you mean you fell for that phishing scam a couple of years ago? That is the only way your account could have been illegally accessed, unless you have a very simple password, like "password" or "xbox".

Or maybe he was a victim of the PlayStation Network hack.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby Chameleon » 15 May 2013, 15:02

Maybe it was the FIFA thing? They never (officially) came out with a reason why so many people had their xbox account accessed and a couple of FIFA achievements popped, and I refuse to believe so many people had been phished, especially those who are aware of it happening in advance. Happened to someone on my friends list too.

I wonder how many of those hacked had signed up for an EA account using the same password as their live account :roll:
Chameleon 44

Postby FishyGinger » 15 May 2013, 16:05

My password is so secure I don't even remember it.

But you will be able to buy money cards just like you can for ms points, money for the psn, the nintendo virtual shop and the steam wallet making almost no difference to what you would do now, other than it's in your currency rather than points.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Sandbwoy » 15 May 2013, 17:44

CunningSmile wrote:How will the Rewards work if they can't give us points?

That's my only concern. Does this mean the Rewards scheme will become extinct? I hope not.
Sandbwoy 24

Postby Crisco » 15 May 2013, 18:01

I've heard of a few people being hacked (From what I can gather the 'hackers' use various social engineering techniques to get the victim's details) and they've had problems getting their account back and removing their card from the account.

But if we could buy cards to top up I would be all for it. I imagine the rewards could work almost the same, apart from instead of getting a 2% rebate in points, it would just add money to your account.
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 40

Postby PonderingWalrus » 15 May 2013, 18:17

Sandbwoy wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:How will the Rewards work if they can't give us points?

That's my only concern. Does this mean the Rewards scheme will become extinct? I hope not.

Surely they would just add rewards to your account as money credit?
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby condemmedman » 16 May 2013, 11:13

Lets hope live goes free or alot cheaper . Think im done with paying to play unless they offer some thing like psn with free games. I been paying since the 360 started and on the original xbox near the end .Ms needs to adapt or lose my money
condemmedman 35

Postby CunningSmile » 16 May 2013, 11:57

condemmedman wrote:Lets hope live goes free or alot cheaper . Think im done with paying to play unless they offer some thing like psn with free games. I been paying since the 360 started and on the original xbox near the end .Ms needs to adapt or lose my money

The number of active Gold accounts has risen by 18% in the last six months. In which paralell universe is MS going to be motivated to give it away for free? It's far more likely that PSN will stop being free, only reason it wasn't before is because they needed an edge to catch up with the 360 market lead.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby BattleAvenger5 » 18 May 2013, 00:00

Phew they will keep gift cards because I don't like putting my credit card
BattleAvenger5 9