to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Twitch TV launches Xbox Live app, will host next Xbox reveal

Your comments on our articles.

Major Nelson to host a special next gen post-reveal show exclusively via the streaming service

Twitch have launched a new app that allows Xbox Live Gold subscribers to view gaming livestream content through their Xbox 360. It's only available in the US so far (boo, hiss) and as yet, you can only view, not broadcast. Could that be about to change with whatever revelations Microsoft unveil come 21st May? Our home page countdown clock ticks ever closer to the moment of truth.... read more

Postby Sandbwoy » 15 May 2013, 17:58

I've only recently heard of Twitch TV (I know, where have I been?), but I like it
Sandbwoy 24

Postby Crisco » 15 May 2013, 18:11

I'm confused, I too have only recently heard of Twitch and I haven't got a clue what it is, I'm guessing it's sort of like Youtube but for games?

If you can only view and not broadcast then what would you be viewing? Sorry for the complete lack of knowledge about this.
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 40

Re: Twitch TV launches Xbox Live app, will host next Xbox re

Postby Sandbwoy » 16 May 2013, 00:15

From what I can gather, it really is just like a YouTube for games. Users can create their own channels on which they upload videos of themselves talking about games or even live-streaming as they play. It is also used to screen gaming tournaments and other gaming related stuff. Looks like the next Xbox might allow gamers to broadcast their channel right from their console.
Sandbwoy 24

Postby Crisco » 16 May 2013, 01:13

Cheers. It could be awesome if used in the right way. I wouldn't want to watch every half decent 13 year old live streaming Call of Duty but it would be really good for people doing walkthroughs and stuff
Crisco 40

Postby OXM Aoife » 16 May 2013, 09:07

Sandbwoy wrote:From what I can gather, it really is just like a YouTube for games. Users can create their own channels on which they upload videos of themselves talking about games or even live-streaming as they play. It is also used to screen gaming tournaments and other gaming related stuff. Looks like the next Xbox might allow gamers to broadcast their channel right from their console.

Essentially, yeah. It's mostly gaming capture or picture in picture, but they stream a lot of really great tournaments with higher production value too. You can support/donate money to certain channels (like pro player streams) by subscribing. I'd put money on a fully functional broadcasting app becoming available for next gen.
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby OXM Aoife » 16 May 2013, 09:09

Crisco wrote:Cheers. It could be awesome if used in the right way. I wouldn't want to watch every half decent 13 year old live streaming Call of Duty but it would be really good for people doing walkthroughs and stuff

People doing speed runs of Ocarina of Time whilst blindfolded are worth a watch too.
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby Metalrodent » 16 May 2013, 09:31

OXM Aoife wrote:
Crisco wrote:Cheers. It could be awesome if used in the right way. I wouldn't want to watch every half decent 13 year old live streaming Call of Duty but it would be really good for people doing walkthroughs and stuff

People doing speed runs of Ocarina of Time whilst blindfolded are worth a watch too.

video link NOW :lol:
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Crisco » 16 May 2013, 18:56

Wow, I searched 'Ocarina of time blindfolded' and there were more results than I expected. I also found a blind person who was really good at Abe's Oddysee.
Crisco 40