to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Metro: Last Light studio's terrible working conditions revea

Your comments on our articles.

Game's total budget "is less than competitors spend on cutscenes"

Former THQ president Jason Rubin has written an impassioned article over at GI on the subject of "incredible" working conditions at Metro: Last Light developer 4A Games, now a subsidiary of Koch Media. According to Rubin, the developer laboured in cramped, unheated offices in the face of frequent power outages to get the job done, not helped by "irrational" business decisions on the part of THQ producers.... read more

Metro: Last Light studio's terrible working conditions revea

Postby Metalrodent » 16 May 2013, 10:05

It's nice to know that despite hard working conditions and stiff competition in the face of bigger companies people will still strive to create the best they can

Yet Last Light's Metacritic score blows away Medal of Honor Warfighter.

Lets be honest, it's hard not to beat that turgid lump of browns score :lol:
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Re: Metro: Last Light studio's terrible working conditions r

Postby CunningSmile » 16 May 2013, 10:55

Considering the overwhelming emotion in Metro 2033 was one of hopelessness maybe this was just method acting? Give them Irrational Game's budget and they may cheer up and lose the very thing we like about Metro :wink:

In all seriousness though kudos for the guys producing so much with so little. Just proves that the spiralling costs that EA and Acti complain of aren't always necessary to produce an 80+ metacritic score, and judging by MOH actually harm it.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Drainwater » 17 May 2013, 00:05

I might have to check these Metro games out. I'm thinking of the children of course...
Drainwater 35

Postby Grummy » 18 May 2013, 17:38

I don't really have anything particular I want to know. I wasn't a particular fan of the first Metro and I doubt I'll play the new one any time soon, but that's a personal thing, not an indictment of the quality of these games themselves. If you can I'd like you to pass on my congratulations and my respect for their incredible work in such horrible conditions, it's simply amazing.

Actually, I do have one question, now they're under Koch media, have they been given a new premises or at least their current premises improved? Are they in a better position for the future? I hope so because these guys have real talent.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator