to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Ubisoft will release sequels "more and more regularly" next

Your comments on our articles.

Promises this won't come at the expense of quality, new IPs

Not only does Ubisoft think it's conquered the dreadful spectre of franchise fatigue with Assassin's Creed - the publisher is convinced it can release both more frequent and higher quality sequels on next generation consoles. That's according to CEO Yves Guillemot, via Gamespot.... read more

Ubisoft will release sequels "more and more regularly" next

Postby SilentDark » 16 May 2013, 13:27

Assassins Creed in the Modern Age....ok, so it's just more of the same free running which we've had since Sands of Time then.

Ever thought of trying something different guys, I mean free running is getting old ever thought of doing something with your Tom Clancy licence that wasn't blatant warfare, like being a CIA spook, doing investigations to protect Eagleland or something.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr.
SilentDark 65

Re: Ubisoft will release sequels "more and more regularly" n

Postby Theron284 » 16 May 2013, 13:31

And do they have proof that this move won't diminish quality? Because the last truly awesome AC game I played was ACII. I'll give them credit where it is due, ACIII was an improvement over Revelations, but it still didn't live up to the standards set by the second game.
Theron284 5

Postby vadersmyfather » 16 May 2013, 13:51

I don't have a particular issue with regular sequels, if they are treated like DLC. It is the price point that I might take issue with.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 47

Postby Maximus T » 16 May 2013, 21:46

vadersmyfather wrote:I don't have a particular issue with regular sequels, if they are treated like DLC. It is the price point that I might take issue with.

Either the economy gets much better so that people can buy these more frequent releases, if they are full-priced, or more likely, they will be cheaper so that Ubisoft can guarantee decent sales. Though it will also depend on the games being good. I hope AC4 makes AC fun again.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 69

Postby Worthies » 16 May 2013, 22:01

I haven't bought an Assassins Creed game since Brotherhood, because the yearly rehash has meant the games are fairly similar, and I have no real incentive to buy them until the price is right for me.

If they keep up with the 'Activision inspired' yearly release cycle, soon enough a large section of their customers might end up doing the same as me.
Worthies 30

Postby PonderingWalrus » 16 May 2013, 22:45

Oh dear god no...
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby TomAZ600 » 18 May 2013, 10:03

SilentDark wrote: ever thought of doing something with your Tom Clancy licence that wasn't blatant warfare, like being a CIA spook, doing investigations to protect Eagleland or something.

Well, they just cancelled Rainbow Six Patriots or rebooted it for next gen, either of which means I won't be getting it since I'm not buying a 720 only for my rather large collection of backwards compatible Xbox originals to stop working. But one game which I really liked which had the spook element was The Bourne Conspiracy. Yes it got bad review scores but with the other three films to tap into and other games to take inspiration from, (namely SCC) you could make one really good Bourne game.
TomAZ600 35

Postby Grummy » 18 May 2013, 13:15

I'm fine with this. Yearly releases of good franchises can lead to healthy revenue stream that allow developers to create new games. The success of Assassin's Creed has allowed them to make a new installment in the Far Cry series, plus make a quirky spin off in Blood Dragon. It has also allowed them to develop Watch Dogs. Plus, whilst AC3 was poor on many points, it was clear that it had had a few years of development to be a new and different AC game, not 12 months like Brotherhood/Revelations did. Ubisoft is able to do both, and I like that. I enjoy the AC games and if more AC games means more new titles I don't see a down side.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator