to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Six reasons the next Xbox will genuinely be better with Kine

Your comments on our articles.

Motion gaming's on the way back, argues Ed

A new version of Kinect is unlikely to top many next generation Xbox announcement wishlists. Though a consistent seller and the basis for the odd exceptional release, Microsoft's much-toted peripheral has proven a disappointment by and large in terms of so-called "core" games such as first-person shooters.... read more

Six reasons the next Xbox will genuinely be better with Kine

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 16 May 2013, 13:31

I'm not convinced, its seems like more of a gimmick than anything really worthy of a regular gamers time. A bit like movies in 3D, just an excuse to raise the ticket price.
Johnbhoy69 54

Re: Six reasons the next Xbox will genuinely be better with

Postby SilentDark » 16 May 2013, 13:44

Okay one reason the next xbox won't be better with Kinect. Motion controls suck.

I have been a Wii owner since 2008, the motion controls were a stupid addition, Nintendo liked to say they added immersion to the game, I say no, go back and play SSX Blur, it was the least intuitive SSX game ever to come out. Motion control is a gimmic, will only ever be a gimmic and the sooner everyone realises that gimmics are not a great long term investment the better things will be. Using motion controls tend to be less accurate than a controller input so no, no no no no no. Gimmics work once, for a short time, then that's it, stop treating this like it's the next evolution of gaming rather than the stupid tact on gimmic it is, you know like 3D.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby Droidsbane » 16 May 2013, 14:17

Next-Gen most certainly wont be better with Kinect, Kinect 1.0 has and always be an overhyped Eye-Toy and I doubt itll be much different with V2.0, in fact if its integrated into the console I don't feel comfortable having to pay whatever extra cost that gimmick adds onto the console, Microsoft either offer a kinectless version of the console or ill be moving to Sony-land
Droidsbane 33

Postby Xu En » 16 May 2013, 14:30

Are they paying you to write this stuff?

..erm..

ork - how much are they paying you? and where do I sign up..
Xu En 18

Postby OXM ETboy » 16 May 2013, 14:31

Xu En wrote:Are they paying you to write this stuff?

..erm..

You really think Microsoft would pay me to write an article about Kinect which begins by calling Kinect a disappointment?

Read the piece. Respond to the arguments. Spare me your conspiracy theories.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby squirrelofDoom » 16 May 2013, 15:46

In most gamers eyes Kinect is bad, because we love our games to be controller, console, screen - done!.

But when you look at the Wii, which sold far more than Xbox, and is now been replaced, Microsoft thinks it can take a slice of that "wave your hands in the air" pie. If Kinect can do what is rumoured then it's going to be a huge hit with social and family gamers, which is big business.

Hardcore console gamers have to realise their a smaller fish and stuff like this is going to happen. Don't underestimate the want for bouncing around and chasing things that aren't really there. It's called being a kid.
Kid+parants+money= cha ching!!
squirrelofDoom 26

Postby Xu En » 16 May 2013, 15:59

OXM ETboy wrote:
Xu En wrote:Are they paying you to write this stuff?

..erm..

You really think Microsoft would pay me to write an article about Kinect which begins by calling Kinect a disappointment?

Read the piece. Respond to the arguments. Spare me your conspiracy theories.

Ouch.

I think you are butt-hurt because you know kinect is a POS nobody wants that basically doesn't work, but you have to write a fundamentally positive article because it's your job.

I apologise though
Xu En 18

Postby OXM ETboy » 16 May 2013, 16:13

On the contrary, Xu En, I genuinely like Kinect. I like The Journey, I like Steel Battalion, and I like the augmented stuff in ME3, Skyrim, etc. It's quite inconvenient, really, as it's basically a great way of ensuring that everybody thinks I'm corrupt. :) The truth is, I just have terrible taste in games. By all means rag on me for that.

Microsoft does not own this magazine - we simply use their branding, and report on their platform. We work with them, obviously, but they have no control over our editorial policies.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby msbhvn » 16 May 2013, 16:17

Kinect failed for two reasons:

One, it doesn't work properly because of cheaper components substituted prior to launch and a lack of system resources to process the input.

Two, it's relatively expensive (although the Wii U gamepad will give it a run for its money) and has had proportionally low uptake meaning bigger developers are less likely to risk limiting their audience.

Bundling an improved Kinect with the next Xbox will encourage people to give it a try and encourage developers to add Kinect features into games because everyone will have one. The problem I'll have is that while my living room is big enough to use Kinect, the spare bedroom where I have my 360 is tiny. :(
Massively Multiplatform since ever, fanboys!
msbhvn 69

Postby OXM ETboy » 16 May 2013, 16:23

Indeed, I hope they sort out the minimum room size problem. I have to sit in the hallway outside my apartment to play The Journey. :(
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Insaneyokel » 16 May 2013, 16:28

I tried the kinect when I had a flat and it just didn't work all that well, much for the same reason you found Ed. Now we are in the house and I have a tech savvy 2 yr old I am reluctant to use it as he is already proficient with touch screen technology :D
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby FishyGinger » 16 May 2013, 16:41

I tried a kinect demo of some dancing game and it was complete garbage. It didn't register anything I did and was a total waste of time. They'd probably tell me I'd have to buy a kinect for the demo to work but in that case it's a poor demo.

And you're soooo paid to write this stuff aren't you Edwin! I bet it hasn't even crossed your mind to work unpaid has it, you salary-wanting whore.

In other news the yorkshire terrier got to me again last night. Started licking my face. Their tongues are surprisingly soft.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby OXM ETboy » 16 May 2013, 16:42

The one thing I don't like about The Journey (well, other than the motion recognition problems) is the horse-cleaning. Call me unconventional, but I don't play games to clean horses.

And you're soooo paid to write this stuff aren't you Edwin! I bet it hasn't even crossed your mind to work unpaid has it, you salary-wanting whore.

It's true. My heart is black as midnight.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Thos. » 16 May 2013, 17:10

What I don't get about Illumiroom is your TV will take up about 2 feet of room space, then you need a good 6 foot of space in front of your TV before you have a projector on a coffee table. Say the table's 3 feet deep, you then need another 5 foot of clear area to stand in to wave your arms around.

I think in the UK that's about .1% of living rooms

Here's an Illumiroom setup: http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/illumiroom.jpg
Thos. 45

Postby SilentDark » 16 May 2013, 17:26

Well working on an official magazine looks nice on a CV, but there are downsides with every job. Ed's just seem to be that he'll always run into people who suspect him of being in the pocket of the maf...I mean Microsoft :lol:

I see where you're coming from Ed with regards to that who being a kid thing, thing is by appealing to that market Nintendo alienated their core market from previous years. I can see how it made sense, they essentially created a whole new customer base and casual (god I hate those words "casual" and "hardcore") gamers seemed to be less savvy and more willing to drop huge amounts of money on gmaes that anybody with sense would tell you wasn't all that good. However now they've decided they want to try and have their cake, eat it and the feed the five thousand with it. Trying to make the Wii U appeal to casual and hardcore gamers at the same time doesn't seem to be working out too well for them. It does seem that one market or the other basically has to become the periphery market with the focus being on one or the other.

Another concern I have. Forced kinect functionality. The Wii's early titles, for the first couple of years at least really pushed waggle, after all that was kind of the central theme, with it being the bundled in function after all. Many titles were released (A great deal of the PS2 ports) with waggle features they simply did not need. Developers might feel obligated to put kinect features in titles because if they don't they fear reviews marking them down for "not taking full advantage" of the hardware and before anyone says this would never happen. One complaint in ONMs review of Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn is that it doesn't make use of the Wii's features, how exactly do you impliment "flailing your arms wildly like a demented spider monkey" into a turn based strategy game I would very much like to know.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Next