to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Call of Duty outsells Mario this generation, Activision 2012

Your comments on our articles.

Assassin's Creed tops Halo, which tops Battlefield

Activision's commitment to a small number of strong-selling franchises might be risky long-term, but the publisher's cleaning up in the here and now. According to data published by Ubisoft, via GamesIndustry.biz, Activision accounted for 19.5% of worldwide boxed video game sales in 2011, up from 15.7% in 2011, and Call of Duty is this generation's best-selling franchise.... read more

Call of Duty outsells Mario this generation, Activision 2012

Postby CunningSmile » 17 May 2013, 10:14

I'm amazed that Sonic managed to cling on with the top franchises. When was the last Sonic game that wasn't awful? Apart from the Werehog thing and XBLA re-releases of old games have there even been any Sonic games this gen?

And I'm surprised FIFA has sold so many more than Madden. I know very few people outside the US care about Madden but the Yanks make up about half the Xbox community worldwide and I know it's a huge franchise over there (not bad for a series built around a coach widely regarded as the reason drugs are now used in sports)
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: Call of Duty outsells Mario this generation, Activision

Postby SilentDark » 17 May 2013, 12:08

CunningSmile wrote:I'm amazed that Sonic managed to cling on with the top franchises. When was the last Sonic game that wasn't awful? Apart from the Werehog thing and XBLA re-releases of old games have there even been any Sonic games this gen?

Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations are the latest two entries in the Sonic "canon" the former for the Wii & DS the latter for the PS3 360 and 3DS.

There was also that awful 2006 game that encouraged furries, Sonic 4 on the VC/PSN/XBLA, Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic and the Black Knight on the Wii, depending on your definition on Sonic game there has been Sega Superstars Tennis, Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing and Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed.

So ignoring re-releases and only counting "core" sonic games there have been at least seven Sonic games released this gen.

Pedantic SilentDark, serving all your pedantic needs. :D
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62

Postby CunningSmile » 17 May 2013, 12:14

SilentDark wrote:So ignoring re-releases and only counting "core" sonic games there have been at least seven Sonic games released this gen.

Pedantic SilentDark, serving all your pedantic needs. :D

Pedantry appreciated. Looks like I've managed to block out the existance of 7 games (although most seem to be Wii so I'm pleading innocent on those)
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby SilentDark » 17 May 2013, 12:26

CunningSmile wrote:
Pedantry appreciated. Looks like I've managed to block out the existance of 7 games (although most seem to be Wii so I'm pleading innocent on those)

It's a shame, Sonic Colours is the game that broke the so called polygon ceiling for Sonic games. I must admit to some bias though, the Japanese announcer for Sonic Colours in the voice of the Gaia Memories on Kamen Rider W.

Can't blame you for blocking out Sonic 2006 though. I wish I could do that :cry:
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62