to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

The OXM Breakdown - Game Marketing

Your comments on our articles.

Log penetrates the seedy world of selling things

Game marketing's been the subject of some controversy of late, thanks to Sega's alleged misrepresentation of Alien: Colonial Marines and Deep Silver's decision to sell Dead Island: Riptide's boobtastic Zombie Bait statue despite being "deeply sorry" for it. We originally planned to commission some serious, Watergate-style investigative reporting on the subject, but that turned out to be really, really hard. So we asked Log to make a video about it instead.... read more

The OXM Breakdown - Game Marketing

Postby CunningSmile » 17 May 2013, 13:17

Is it my imagination or is Log's beard getting even bigger in some of those scenes!
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Re: The OXM Breakdown - Game Marketing

Postby Tug » 17 May 2013, 13:34

What happened to Log's brother's genitals?
Tug 27

Postby Muppetman51 » 17 May 2013, 13:51

I think this might have finally broken Log. I could've sworn steam was about to starting whistling out of his ears to the tune of "It's the End of the World as We Know It"...
I summon bigger fish to crush Bubble
Muppetman51 42

Postby Insaneyokel » 17 May 2013, 14:01

You know that there is a marketing team who are even now taking some of the ideas from here and refining them for the launch of their new games :D :D
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 48

Postby FishyGinger » 17 May 2013, 14:04

Can you get this on xbox? I know they had that outside xbox with Traitor McSneakychops (I'm sure I saw a review on cvg for a ps3 some time ago...) and something recently called for the win which was soulless and horrible but I liked watching these on the xbox.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby OXM Jonty » 17 May 2013, 14:40

We do provide video to Xbox, but the Breakdown tends to be a bit too contentious for them to run. You can watch us on the YouTube app, though...
Editor

Email: jon.hicks@futurenet.com
Xbox Live: OXM Jonty
OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 17 May 2013, 15:28

TippiestRook99 wrote:
OXM Jonty wrote:We do provide video to Xbox, but the Breakdown tends to be a bit too contentious for them to run. You can watch us on the YouTube app, though...

Can I just ask why do you have to sign in to see it.Its not really a problem.It justs takes a tiny bit longer.On Youtube.

I've wondered that as well. I've never set up a YouTube account and so it makes it impossible to watch on the Xbox app so I usually don't bother.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 17 May 2013, 15:34

So is it only through youtube then? I know there was a separate section almost within games for you guys, outside xbox and some EA related things which seems to have disappeared to now WTF which is rubbish and the occasional outside xbox.

IGN and gamespot get their own apps, seems strange there isn't something like that for you given you're generally better and xbox specific.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby PCG The_B » 17 May 2013, 16:45

CunningSmile wrote:
TippiestRook99 wrote:Can I just ask why do you have to sign in to see it.Its not really a problem.It justs takes a tiny bit longer.On Youtube.

I've wondered that as well. I've never set up a YouTube account and so it makes it impossible to watch on the Xbox app so I usually don't bother.

YouTube generally makes people sign up in order to be allowed to watch adult content to protect younger viewers. How it usually works is that when uploading a video you can submit to them if you think it contains content not suitable to minors. You can choose not to flag it up, but if you do choose not to warn them and enough people flag it up, then YouTube will take it down until you do, so it's better to err on the side of caution.

Fishy Ginger wrote:So is it only through youtube then? I know there was a separate section almost within games for you guys, outside xbox and some EA related things which seems to have disappeared to now WTF which is rubbish and the occasional outside xbox.

IGN and gamespot get their own apps, seems strange there isn't something like that for you given you're generally better and xbox specific.

As Jonty mentions, some stuff does go up, but for similar reasons to YouTube putting it behind the sign-in thing, MS tend to err on the side of safety when it comes to content on the dashboard and keeping it to family friendly stuff (only really using the family controls when the game mentioned within a video is a mature game), and again the content in Breakdowns often skirts on the side of risque. An app might be possible in the future, but I believe someone at OXM/Future would have to create said app, rather than MS doing it for them, so it's probably more a case of when/if they can spare the resources to do so.
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 66

Postby msbhvn » 17 May 2013, 17:13

If you use Keepvid to download YouTube vids, you don't need to sign in/up at all. It uses Java though, so if you're security conscious you might want to try another site.

Back on topic, another great video from Log. As Log says towards the end, they are an easy target, but some of the stuff they come up with, you have to wonder what they were drinking/smoking/injecting when they thought it up.

There really has to be something like a movie premiere for games. Something to get the game noticed without resorting to f***ed up publicity stunts to try and make the Daily Mail sell your game for you.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby Plamsa wing » 17 May 2013, 17:16

A new OXM Breakdown? Huzzah!

Didn't think this one was good as the others, it was still highly entertaining though. Now the question is, when's the next Breakdown? :wink:
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby SidTheSloth » 17 May 2013, 18:47

Log, you are my hero, if i knew how, i'd put a nomination in for you on the queens honours list for services to 'work skive enabling'! I ended up watching most of the old ones again too, brilliant! :)
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby OXM Jonty » 18 May 2013, 18:29

PCG The_B wrote:As Jonty mentions, some stuff does go up, but for similar reasons to YouTube putting it behind the sign-in thing, MS tend to err on the side of safety when it comes to content on the dashboard and keeping it to family friendly stuff (only really using the family controls when the game mentioned within a video is a mature game), and again the content in Breakdowns often skirts on the side of risque. An app might be possible in the future, but I believe someone at OXM/Future would have to create said app, rather than MS doing it for them, so it's probably more a case of when/if they can spare the resources to do so.

Pretty much! An OXM app is on the to-do list, but it's no small undertaking and Xbox Live will evolve with the new console anyway. We'll see how things go once the future is confirmed.
Editor

OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Postby OXM Jonty » 18 May 2013, 18:30

Plamsa wing wrote:Now the question is, when's the next Breakdown? :wink:

Hopefully in less time than this one. Although I can guarantee that not a lot is going to happen this side of E3.
Editor

OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Postby Insaneyokel » 18 May 2013, 20:04

I still don't think you can top the ones on women and sex, they still make me cry with laughter. I one day aspire to be able to master the Log style rant :D
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 48

Next