to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft's next Xbox reveal event: what we're hoping to see

Your comments on our articles.

OXM staffers gaze into the light at the end of current gen's tunnel

At the time of writing, there are four days and five hours to go till the announcement of the next generation Xbox - an object of fear, awe and reverence. This also means there's a gaping void of Xbox-related news right now. Join us as we shout into that void, filling it with our next gen daydreams.... read more

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 17 May 2013, 14:20

The next console has to have Blu rays as I'm really hoping the incoming re-reveal of Final Fantasy Versus 13 will be multi platform and disc changing is nothing but an annoyance. Maybe FFV13 will be shown on Monday, my wishful thinking I know but anyhoo...

I want a console that doesn't sound like a hoover when I play DVDS or hopefully Blu rays on it.

When a game updates I want to be told there and then what exactly it is updating.

A greater reward for your gamer score is long overdue.

A rechargeable controller battery included with all versions of the console on release this time.

A ridiculously impressive launch day line up
Johnbhoy69 51

Postby CunningSmile » 17 May 2013, 14:28

Most of all, though, I want absolutely everything to be explained in full, with no room for ambiguity, so I'll never have to write "rumour", "report" or "sources" ever again.

And I will be enternally grateful to never read those words again. Also to never hear someone declare PS4 having won the next gen based upon a rumour by the staff of the Burger King that serves the milk man that once sold some cheese to EA's janitor.

And at least an hour of presentation before they mention Kinect or social media.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: Microsoft's next Xbox reveal event: what we're hoping to

Postby FadelessRipleyX » 17 May 2013, 14:38

Log's specs and vision of freer apps, Aoife's backwards compatibility and Edwin's games lineup = more or less my perfect console. Blu Ray will clear up so much hassle, and free up some previously restricted titles.

Games wise, a decent Final Fantasy title (not that I completely hated FFXIII - I almost lost friends valiantly defending it) tops my list. Mirror's Edge 2 would make my year. From what's confirmed, top 5 in no particular order would be:

Beyond Good & Evil 2
Watch Dogs
Human Element
Dragon Age 3: Inquisition
Thief

Other than that, scrapping MS points is actually becoming more appealing. I have a credit card set up with my account anyway, why make me purchase points with it and THEN be able to buy content? Bit daft.
FadelessRipleyX 32

Postby Alex Nagy » 17 May 2013, 15:43

Is Edwin on some illegal narcotic? Xbox to be in a TV? Fallout 4 to be third-person by default? If those were the cases, I wouldn't buy either of them
Alex Nagy 10

Postby OXM ETboy » 17 May 2013, 15:53

Not illegal, no.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Wadium_Arcadium » 17 May 2013, 15:53

A console with good games as it's priority. Hopefully a Blu Ray Player too as I've let my parents have mine for the moment.
"The lord of silver fountains, the king of carven stone. The king beneath the mountain shall come into his own. And the bell shall ring in gladness at the mountain king's return, but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."
Wadium_Arcadium 38

Postby Grummy » 17 May 2013, 16:14

Had a long chat with a buddy of mine about this recently and we concluded that we just had no idea what could come up. The key piece of information is that Microsoft's time slot for the reveal is only an hour long, Sony used 2 for the PS4, so the 360 one is going to be much more streamlined. We agreed that Microsoft would be stupid to focus too heavily on hardware details, Kinect and them multimedia side of things. People know that Microsoft have a hard-on for the multimedia now, the last few years they never really needed to focus on games as they had a decent games library to work with that was already established, so they worked on the multimedia, getting it to be part of the package that people buy into for the future. Well, now is the beginning of that future, people know about the multimedia, what they want now is games, in the space of one hour, they can't get through everything, but they CAN have a great showing for games, which is what they need the most.

The question is, what will they show? This is where we got stuck, we couldn't think of anything at all. Perhaps a Forza, perhaps a new Fable, but Halo? Naah, it's too early for Halo, plus Halo doesn't have the draw it used to, its getting stale. Gears of War? Again, no, too early, plus there's a chance GoW may not make the transition to next gen anyway, it's had its run this generation, 4 games, I can see people being somewhat bored of it.

So, what could it be? Our opinion is that they need a big game and a big name that will wow people, something that can really show the new hardware at work, but it needs to be an in house game, it can't be a 3rd party game as that raises questions of Microsofts ability to create new first party IPs. I could only think of 3 possibilities, a new FPS IP, a game like Heavy Rain that can really show off the graphical quality and...Crackdown. It seems an odd suggestion, but a LOT of people love Crackdown and want to see it make a proper, real return, not that half assed joke of a game Crackdown 2 was. The advantage with Crackdown is that it is a recognized name that is first party and not over exposed, as a headline next gen game it has the potential to show off a lot of what the new hardware con do, it can, in short, look spectacular and would score a lot of points for MS.

Do I actually think it WILL turn up? No, but I can't think of what WILL, and Crackdown suits the needs of MS for a headline release game, so I'm going with that.

Also, Edwin, go and slap yourself very hard. Forced 3rd person for Fallout, what an insidious, offensive suggestion. I don't dispute they need to get an engine that can handle both 1st and 3rd person, but making it 3rd person is to fundamentally change the signature of these Bethesda games. They're first person open world RPGs, that's what they are, changing that is insane.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 17 May 2013, 16:30

Nonsense! It's the only way they'll sort out their animation onions, if they're obliged to think about what their characters look like on-screen all the time.

Forced third-person or I'll delete the internet. All will die.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Grummy » 17 May 2013, 17:09

OXM ETboy wrote:Nonsense! It's the only way they'll sort out their animation onions, if they're obliged to think about what their characters look like on-screen all the time.

Forced third-person or I'll delete the internet. All will die.

It's not the third person, they need to kill the gamebryo engine and use a new one instead. That gamebryo engine is dated as hell and is the reason the animations are so bad.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 17 May 2013, 17:18

Well hark at you, with your fancy "sensible suggestions" and "plausible technical insights". I like the sound of a Crackdown 3 announce, though.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby msbhvn » 17 May 2013, 17:27

OXM ETboy wrote:I'll delete the internet. All will die.

Already happened a few years back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvpuT3aoypE
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby Plamsa wing » 17 May 2013, 17:36

I'd quite like to see a larger focus on the games, I could do without multimedia and the sharing of screenshots/videos. The latter not being all that important, a nice bonus yes, but still not important.

Hopefully they've got the likes of Rare and Lionhead working on some proper games. I want to see a new next-gen Viva Pinata, Banjo Kazooie, Killer Instinct and just perhaps a proper RPG in the form of Fable 4. As Grummy suggested Crackdown 3 would be a welcome sight.

They've got shooters and racing games already covered, it's time they brought out some sims, platformers, fighters, rpg's and open-world games.

Microsoft are sitting on some great franchises that cover a whole host of genres, to not use them is a missed chance on their part. Would also like to see an XCOM style strategy.

Grummy wrote:It's not the third person, they need to kill the gamebryo engine and use a new one instead. That gamebryo engine is dated as hell and is the reason the animations are so bad.

Aren't Bethesda using the creation engine now?
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby SidTheSloth » 17 May 2013, 18:33

I'm not convinced we're going to get a huge array of shown games from MS next week to be honest, E3 is but weeks away, Sony surely haven't revealed their full hand - so it'd make sense for MS to hold some of the truly jaw-dropping stuff i'd expect... Of course they'll show some games, but expecting them to be sequel-y and primarily third party, kind of a staggered release as you will?

As for Skyrim/Fallout, i'm on the fence a bit with regards to perspective... Fallout i think is fine in FP, but the combat in Skyrim after playing other games in the genre is just average at best, boring at worst. I'm not 100% convinced how they'd ever make melee truly effective in FP, your viewpoint is narrowed - as irl - but a person can turn either their head or body quickly to compensate for this, in-game it's so much harder to do, which is where third-person (dogma/souls/amalur) has the edge.

To then completely contradict myself and support FP, i was playing (the awesome) NHL a few weeks back, and like FIFA the skills are mapped to the right-stick. It works a bit better in NHL though as the 'stick controls the stick' instead of the player etc, made me think a bit about EA stablemate 'fight night' which uses a similar system, and how maybe that could be in some way applied to skyrim, add some skill to the combat instead of just mashing the trigger? Not suggesting they add street fighter combos, but up quickly could thrust for example...? Triggers could be used for modifiers etc, maybe make magic a bit 'ocarina of time' and you have to cast the spells in a similar manner? Maybe im talking bollocks, but something like that could improve it no end (and if done badly could ruin it entirely!)
Last edited by SidTheSloth on 17 May 2013, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby msbhvn » 17 May 2013, 18:41

Plamsa wing wrote:
Grummy wrote:It's not the third person, they need to kill the gamebryo engine and use a new one instead. That gamebryo engine is dated as hell and is the reason the animations are so bad.

Aren't Bethesda using the creation engine now?

The Creation engine is just Gamebryo with a graphics overhaul. They really need to start from scratch for next gen.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby BattleAvenger5 » 17 May 2013, 23:42

I hope free xbox live gold with free online play , xbox live parties and most of the xbox live gold features for free and Blu-Ray and I hope Free To Play.
Games
TES 6
Halo 5
Call of Duty Ghosts
Fallout 4
Mass Effect game maybe that's I want
BattleAvenger5 9

Next