Thief preview: the first great next gen stealth game

Your comments on our articles.

The man who wasn't there

It's the self-awareness that stands out. Even watching somebody else play, Thief has a physicality that makes you acutely aware of your place in the shadows of its pestilent medieval City. This isn't a game in which you have a gun, arrow or other bit of sharp metal bobbing in a gentle figure-of-eight at the bottom of the screen, signifying that your chief interaction will be hurting people. As master thief Garrett, you lead with your hands.... read more

Thief preview: the first great next gen stealth game

Postby xPearse » 18 May 2013, 15:23

Stealth games are really dead now, I mean REAL stealth games that actually allow you to finish without getting caught. Give me a new tenchu game, that's what I really want. Tenchu Z was really shunned when it came out but it's not that bad and it was made in 2006 and for the year it was a pretty good game.
xPearse 26

Re: Thief preview: the first great next gen stealth game

Postby Dave GD78 » 18 May 2013, 16:46

pretty sweet trailer, though I prefer 3rd person games, in regards to stealth etc..

easier to judge your cover, run about etc... 1st person should be kept to games like Halo/CoD/BF etc... certain kinect games :lol:

just my opinion.
Dave GD78 24

Postby Alaric14 » 18 May 2013, 17:43

The return of Thief is something I'm genuinely happy about, but I'd be reluctant to say that Dishonored has stolen any of its thunder. Dishonored was a reminder to gamers and fans of stealth games that subtlety can go a long way to building an experience.

Most of what I'm reading here is good news. No visibility gem, but a similar visibility indicator, so that's alright. Different routes to take, harder options to explore? Excellent. Equipment from the original games that has seen some helpful improvements; very good to know indeed.

Now, Mr. Hicks, I am concerned about two things and two things only at the present time. Firstly, the 'Focus' ability that enables QTE take downs on enemies. Why put this in a Thief game? Second, to judge from the screenshots it looks as if the third-person perspective will be making a return. Say this isn't so! Stealth games benefit from the claustrophobia of the first-person perspective, that sensation of being squeezed into a virtual body whose well-being depends on one's ability to hide very bloody well. Third-person angles let us see around corners without looking through the character's eyes, allowing us to separate ourselves from the sensation of vulnerability and 'scout' without engaging in the game world.

There are other things, too, but most of these can wait. Things such as mission briefings, equipment purchasing, the general fleshing out of the Thief world through finding books and documents to read as well as conversations to overhear, and that supernatural element that saturated the atmosphere of the original games. We'll see if Eidos Montreal can earn Thief veterans' respect in due course...
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby OXM Jonty » 19 May 2013, 14:27

xPearse wrote:Stealth games are really dead now, I mean REAL stealth games that actually allow you to finish without getting caught. Give me a new tenchu game, that's what I really want. Tenchu Z was really shunned when it came out but it's not that bad and it was made in 2006 and for the year it was a pretty good game.

You might also like Dark. It's pretty ropey, but it looks more like classic get-seen-get-killed stealth than the more action-focused stuff we have nowadays.
Editor

Email: jon.hicks@futurenet.com
Xbox Live: OXM Jonty
OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 19 May 2013, 16:36

Having really enjoyed both Deus Ex and Dishonored, I'm going to get this game methinks. 8)
Vulgar Plebeian 47

Postby Drainwater » 19 May 2013, 21:01

Looks neat. I never played any of the others but I might have to give this one a go. As others have said, good stealth games are thin on the ground.
Drainwater 35

Postby Insaneyokel » 20 May 2013, 07:43

Very much looking forward to this, hopefully the producers won't try and make it too gimmicky
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 48

Postby Dave2123 » 31 May 2013, 08:33

Pressing A to get from cover to cover, QTEs, a special sight a la Assassin's Creed, Hitman, Far Cry, Splinter Cell etc.. It seems to me that this game has been giving a dumbing down like most games nowadays and it won't be that much of a challenge. It is a shame that most developers feel that they have to cater to the majority who aren't particularly intelligent, because that means, for those of us who are, games feel too short and easy. I recently completed Dishonored and I don't think it was as good as every says it is. Playing a full ghost, no kills walkthrough really wasn't that challenging on a normal difficulty and there was something about it that meant I didn't love it like most people. I might just be picky as in the last 8 games I've played I've only really like AC2 and AC3 (AC3 coming out on top) and New Vegas although it is so dated for 2010 with its poor graphics, AI and all the bugs and glitches. Dishonored and Bioshock 2 were okay, but just weren't anywhere near as good as I thought they would be and I didn't enjoy them that much.
Dave2123 29