to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

The fame game: the eight most memorable celebrity cameos

Your comments on our articles.

Rolling the red carpet right into your console

Snoop's starring role in new XBLA game Way of the Dogg has gotten us thinking about celebrities in gaming. Here are eight A-listers who've made it onto Xbox 360, for good and in some cases, ill. Enjoy - whilst trying to figure out whose visage got off lightest during the rendering process.... read more

The fame game: the eight most memorable celebrity cameos

Postby Grummy » 18 May 2013, 17:12

If you're adding Sir Fillion into that list, you can't leave off Adam Baldwin, Alan Tudyk and Tricia Helfer they all had a part in ODST as well, plus Helfer is in the ME games.

Speaking of the ME games, we have Adam Baldwin's "Chuck" stablemate, Yvonne Strahovsky as Miranda.

Speaking of "Chuck", Zach Levi turned up in Fallout New Vegas.

Speaking of Fallout, what about Liam Neeson in Fallout 3 and of course Rob Perlman as the narrator. Bethesda get some great names in their games. Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean in Oblivion.

In Skyrim we have Michael Hogan (a Helfer stablemate from Battlestar Galactica), Joan Allen, Christopher Plummer, Max von Sydow and Linda Carter also turn up.

How about Mark Hamill as Joker in the Batman games? Although I suppose that he could be considered much like any game/film tie in actor making the cross over. I guess we could count the Ghostbusters cast in that same category despite the game not actually being a tie in rather its own story.

All things considered, it's a surprisingly large and varied number of actors who DO turn up in games.
One. Warrior. Nation.
User avatar
Grummy 65
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 8919
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 19:36
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The fame game: the eight most memorable celebrity cameos

Postby mistergrimm » 18 May 2013, 17:30

I found myself pleasantly surprised at John Noble's appearance in L.A Noire, personally. I'd been on a Fringe binge not long before playing. I also recognised Matt Parkman from Heroes in one section, but Noble is superior.
mistergrimm 33
 
Posts: 169
Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 14:31
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The fame game: the eight most memorable celebrity cameos

Postby OXM Aoife » 18 May 2013, 19:02

Grummy wrote:If you're adding Sir Fillion into that list, you can't leave off Adam Baldwin, Alan Tudyk and Tricia Helfer they all had a part in ODST as well, plus Helfer is in the ME games.

Speaking of the ME games, we have Adam Baldwin's "Chuck" stablemate, Yvonne Strahovsky as Miranda.

Speaking of "Chuck", Zach Levi turned up in Fallout New Vegas.

Speaking of Fallout, what about Liam Neeson in Fallout 3 and of course Rob Perlman as the narrator. Bethesda get some great names in their games. Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean in Oblivion.

In Skyrim we have Michael Hogan (a Helfer stablemate from Battlestar Galactica), Joan Allen, Christopher Plummer, Max von Sydow and Linda Carter also turn up.

How about Mark Hamill as Joker in the Batman games? Although I suppose that he could be considered much like any game/film tie in actor making the cross over. I guess we could count the Ghostbusters cast in that same category despite the game not actually being a tie in rather its own story.

All things considered, it's a surprisingly large and varied number of actors who DO turn up in games.


Ha, I was so close to mentioning Helfer - I'm kind of love in with her since BSG, and she voices EDI from ME and Sarah Kerrigan from SCII.
It's pretty impressive how many celebs have lent their talents to games - though I limited the list to actors who lent their likeness as well as their voice to make it a tad more interesting.

Michael Hogan though... <3 "It's in the FRAKKING SHIP!"
User avatar
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff
 
Posts: 292
Joined: 02 Apr 2013, 16:24

Re: The fame game: the eight most memorable celebrity cameos

Postby msbhvn » 18 May 2013, 19:10

Well done there, Grummy.

I'd like to add the flip-side, which is voice actors that have done a lot of different games.

It's an industry joke that you can't have a game without Nolan North doing one of the voices. Skyrim was one of the only major releases of 2011 that didn't have him in it, until Valve did a rather strange Portal 2 crossover mod which addressed the issue.

Then there's people like Fred Tatasciore, Steve Blum, John DiMaggio, Jennifer Hale and Simon Templeman, who have done many games.

Claudia Black of Farscape fame has done quite a bit of video game work lately, she was in Mass Effect 2 and 3 as Matriarch Aethyta, but not many people recognised her because she put on an American accent. Interestingly the British accent she usually speaks with is put on as well, as her normal accent is Australian.

One person I know of who's crossed over from video games to a prominent role on TV is Anna Gunn. She was the voice of the murdered Balance guardian Ariel in the Legacy of Kain games and played the main character's wife in Breaking Bad.
#SaveOXM
User avatar
msbhvn 68
 
Posts: 4300
Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 19:10
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The fame game: the eight most memorable celebrity cameos

Postby Crisco » 18 May 2013, 19:18

Stephen Fry in Fable. Probably loads of other people too.
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
User avatar
Crisco 45
 
Posts: 222
Joined: 20 Jan 2013, 17:59
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The fame game: the eight most memorable celebrity cameos

Postby Plamsa wing » 18 May 2013, 20:07

There's quite a few of them in Fable 3, Michael Fassbender, John Cleese and Ben Kingsley to name a few. Plus the already mentioned Stephen Fry.

Hmm, can you really count voice talent though? These days you'd be hard pressed not to find a big name thrown into the mix.

msbhvn wrote:Claudia Black of Farscape fame has done quite a bit of video game work lately, she was in Mass Effect 2 and 3 as Matriarch Aethyta, but not many people recognised her because she put on an American accent. Interestingly the British accent she usually speaks with is put on as well, as her normal accent is Australian.


Shouldn't go without mention that she also voiced Morrigan from Dragon Age.
The bitterns are doing it for me.
User avatar
Plamsa wing 56
 
Posts: 2975
Joined: 19 Oct 2011, 13:59

Re: The fame game: the eight most memorable celebrity cameos

Postby Insaneyokel » 18 May 2013, 20:16

Dwight Schultz of the A team has been in few
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47
 
Posts: 918
Joined: 06 Mar 2013, 10:02

Re: The fame game: the eight most memorable celebrity cameos

Postby Grummy » 18 May 2013, 20:50

OXM Aoife wrote:
Grummy wrote:If you're adding Sir Fillion into that list, you can't leave off Adam Baldwin, Alan Tudyk and Tricia Helfer they all had a part in ODST as well, plus Helfer is in the ME games.

Speaking of the ME games, we have Adam Baldwin's "Chuck" stablemate, Yvonne Strahovsky as Miranda.

Speaking of "Chuck", Zach Levi turned up in Fallout New Vegas.

Speaking of Fallout, what about Liam Neeson in Fallout 3 and of course Rob Perlman as the narrator. Bethesda get some great names in their games. Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean in Oblivion.

In Skyrim we have Michael Hogan (a Helfer stablemate from Battlestar Galactica), Joan Allen, Christopher Plummer, Max von Sydow and Linda Carter also turn up.

How about Mark Hamill as Joker in the Batman games? Although I suppose that he could be considered much like any game/film tie in actor making the cross over. I guess we could count the Ghostbusters cast in that same category despite the game not actually being a tie in rather its own story.

All things considered, it's a surprisingly large and varied number of actors who DO turn up in games.


Ha, I was so close to mentioning Helfer - I'm kind of love in with her since BSG, and she voices EDI from ME and Sarah Kerrigan from SCII.
It's pretty impressive how many celebs have lent their talents to games - though I limited the list to actors who lent their likeness as well as their voice to make it a tad more interesting.

Michael Hogan though... <3 "It's in the FRAKKING SHIP!"


Well Helfer did add her likeness in ODST and Strahovsky added hers to ME.

Also worth a nice big mention to the legend, the awesome, Michael Ironside in C&C (pretty sure that had Helfer AND Grace Park in it too).
One. Warrior. Nation.
User avatar
Grummy 65
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 8919
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 19:36
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The fame game: the eight most memorable celebrity cameos

Postby Tug » 19 May 2013, 10:23

Michael Jackson's Sega Megadrive game perhaps??????
Not really a cameo but still, it's awesome.
Last edited by Tug on 19 May 2013, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Tug 27
 
Posts: 80
Joined: 02 Mar 2013, 14:52

Re: The fame game: the eight most memorable celebrity cameos

Postby Dom Coates » 19 May 2013, 11:46

Michael Hogan, as well as in Skyrim was in ME3 as Captain Bailey
Martin Sheen (the american one) as The Illusive Man
As has been said before Christopher Plummer, Max von Sydow, Joan Allen, Lynda Carter, Vladimir Kulich and Michael Hogan were all in Skyrim
Marine Sirtus in ME1 as the traitor Matriarch
Dwight Schultz as Commander Pressley in ME
Keith David, Armin Shimmerman, Adam baldwin, Michael Dorn...
Halo had Tricia Helfer, Nathan Fillion, Adam Baldwin, Alan Tudyk,...
Gears of war jon diMaggio, Ice-T (also san andreas) and many more

This article is so narrow, so many more worthy actors could have been on it.

NB Im sure Hugh Laurie has done something in a VG but i Just couldnt find it
Dom Coates 2
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 19 May 2013, 11:32

Re: The fame game: the eight most memorable celebrity cameos

Postby Insaneyokel » 19 May 2013, 11:52

Kate Mulgrew in Dragon age, she just is Flemeth and i hope she returns in Dragon Age 3
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47
 
Posts: 918
Joined: 06 Mar 2013, 10:02

Re: The fame game: the eight most memorable celebrity cameos

Postby Jordan Tough » 19 May 2013, 11:59

Plamsa wing wrote:There's quite a few of them in Fable 3, Michael Fassbender, John Cleese and Ben Kingsley to name a few. Plus the already mentioned Stephen Fry.

Hmm, can you really count voice talent though? These days you'd be hard pressed not to find a big name thrown into the mix.

msbhvn wrote:Claudia Black of Farscape fame has done quite a bit of video game work lately, she was in Mass Effect 2 and 3 as Matriarch Aethyta, but not many people recognised her because she put on an American accent. Interestingly the British accent she usually speaks with is put on as well, as her normal accent is Australian.


Shouldn't go without mention that she also voiced Morrigan from Dragon Age.


Fable III also has Jason Manford, Jonathon Ross, Zoe Wannamaker
Jordan Tough 7
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 08 Feb 2013, 13:39

Re: The fame game: the eight most memorable celebrity cameos

Postby Metalrodent » 19 May 2013, 16:50

the first 2 aren't even cameos - they're starring roles
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 70
 
Posts: 4922
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: The fame game: the eight most memorable celebrity cameos

Postby CunningSmile » 20 May 2013, 12:28

In addition to Armin Shimerman playing almost every salarian in Mass Effect, virtually the entire cast of Star Trek Deep Space 9, Next Gen and Voyager have cropped up at some point in Bioware's output. Not sure if Bioware are fans of Trek, or if games are an obvious transition after being in a SciFi show.

Plus lets not forget Shimerman won an award for voicing Andrew Ryan in Bioshock.
Why all the fuss about Dragon Age? Gears of War had a gay character years ago and no one complained...wait, you mean Marcus was straight :shock:
User avatar
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 10489
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The fame game: the eight most memorable celebrity cameos

Postby Captain_Chao5 » 20 May 2013, 13:42

Jason Bradbury (of Gadget Show fame) is in Assassins Creed.
You don't stop playing because you get older; you get older because you stop playing.

GT = Captain Chao5 on Xbox 360 and Xbox One
Image
User avatar
Captain_Chao5 57
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: 20 Sep 2011, 09:44
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]