to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft: expect "lots of surprises" at next Xbox reveal, "

Your comments on our articles.

"E3 is all about the games," says Aaron Greenberg

Microsoft's next Xbox reveal will be more about hardware, according to Interactive Entertainment Business boss Aaron Greenberg, while its E3 show will be more about games. Not just any games, though, my darlings. We're talking "tonnes of exclusives".... read more

Microsoft: expect "lots of surprises" at next Xbox reveal, "

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 20 May 2013, 11:36

It's almost like they're saying, 'Don't worry if the hardware doesn't impress... The games will!' Makes you wonder if they're concerned about some possible backlashes against what the hardware can and cannot do, and what it will and won't require. Getting the excuses out before the reveal is slightly concerning.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Re: Microsoft: expect "lots of surprises" at next Xbox revea

Postby squirrelofDoom » 20 May 2013, 11:52

AllusiveTurtle wrote:It's almost like they're saying, 'Don't worry if the hardware doesn't impress... The games will!' Makes you wonder if they're concerned about some possible backlashes against what the hardware can and cannot do, and what it will and won't require. Getting the excuses out before the reveal is slightly concerning.

I must be missing something, because I can't see what you mean. Unless you mean the bit about E3 being all about the games, which in mind it should be.
It looks like the reveal will be all about the hardware with a few games in the mix, which is good, then they can dedicate a lot of time at E3 to the big guns.
squirrelofDoom 26

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 20 May 2013, 12:01

squirrelofDoom wrote:
AllusiveTurtle wrote:It's almost like they're saying, 'Don't worry if the hardware doesn't impress... The games will!' Makes you wonder if they're concerned about some possible backlashes against what the hardware can and cannot do, and what it will and won't require. Getting the excuses out before the reveal is slightly concerning.

I must be missing something, because I can't see what you mean. Unless you mean the bit about E3 being all about the games, which in mind it should be.
It looks like the reveal will be all about the hardware with a few games in the mix, which is good, then they can dedicate a lot of time at E3 to the big guns.

I was more thinking that he's really talking up E3, but saying little about the 'reveal'. Can't help but wonder just how much is going to be revealed at the 'reveal'. I'm probably just being sceptical after the damp squib that was the PS4 reveal and all the talk of always online, not being backward compatible and more of an 'entertainment' console rather than a games console that has seen numerous headlines leading up to this event. His comments make me suspect that we might get the name and new logo and then be told to wait for E3 to see more.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 20 May 2013, 13:28

I've just read another article that states that Microsoft intends to drop the word 'gaming' in relation to its new console, so it will no longer be referred to as a games console, but as an entertainment console instead. To be honest, if this is the case (and everything is pointing to it being so), then I might be tempted in to buying a PS4 instead, as their focus is on gaming, not attempting to monopolise all boxes beneath our TV sets. Firstly, I have a Virginmedia box set, and I very much doubt that anything that Microsoft reveals will come close to matching the number of channels that they provide, and secondly, it needs to be remembered that anyone outside America is considered a lower priority; America already gets more services on the 360 than we do (and pay less for a console than we do as well!), and I very much doubt that will change with the next iteration.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby CunningSmile » 20 May 2013, 13:33

AllusiveTurtle wrote:I've just read another article that states that Microsoft intends to drop the word 'gaming' in relation to its new console, so it will no longer be referred to as a games console, but as an entertainment console instead. To be honest, if this is the case (and everything is pointing to it being so), then I might be tempted in to buying a PS4 instead, as their focus is on gaming, not attempting to monopolise all boxes beneath our TV sets. Firstly, I have a Virginmedia box set, and I very much doubt that anything that Microsoft reveals will come close to matching the number of channels that they provide, and secondly, it needs to be remembered that anyone outside America is considered a lower priority; America already gets more services on the 360 than we do (and pay less for a console than we do as well!), and I very much doubt that will change with the next iteration.

They did that about three years ago. The 360 has been referred to as nothing other than an Entertainment Console since they first started adding media apps. Despite that there are still as many games for the 360 as the PS3, and Sony are adding just as much media as MS, or did you miss the part about being able to instantly upload your videos in the PS4 announcement. I see no reason why the Gertrude will be any less a games console than the PS4 will be an entertainment console.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 20 May 2013, 13:58

Yes but I don't want the ability to order a panna cotta via an xbox app so no one should be allowed to. Ever.

I don't really care if they call it a Goosebury Flagellation Contraption so long as it plays games and does a few other bits and bobs like iplayer and whatnot.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 20 May 2013, 14:10

CunningSmile wrote:They did that about three years ago. The 360 has been referred to as nothing other than an Entertainment Console since they first started adding media apps. Despite that there are still as many games for the 360 as the PS3, and Sony are adding just as much media as MS, or did you miss the part about being able to instantly upload your videos in the PS4 announcement. I see no reason why the Gertrude will be any less a games console than the PS4 will be an entertainment console.

Granted, but I suspect that there will be a different emphasis with Gertrude, and I suspect that when this console is advertised, that it will be all about its prowess as a television medium, a music hub, the ability to surf the net, download films, basically being a PC under your TV, oh... and it can play games as well...!

I for one would love it if they offered a choice of buying either gaming console or an entertainment console, but they won't, and so in order to carry on gaming, I am going to be pushed into buying a product that is way over spec for what I want or need, cost much more than I need to be paying, and worse still, will be paying more for a product than our American cousins and yet not get the same standard of service as they get. I just don't get that impression with the PS4.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby SilentDark » 20 May 2013, 15:00

AllusiveTurtle wrote:I've just read another article that states that Microsoft intends to drop the word 'gaming' in relation to its new console, so it will no longer be referred to as a games console, but as an entertainment console instead.

This reminds me of what happened to WWE where it went from Pro Wrestling to Sports Entertainment and Wrestlers became Superstars. It's almost as if they are ashamed of being associated with gaming.

MS: Don't worry guys, you won't be like those unwashed perma-virgin gamers because this is an entertainment console. It is a totally different thing, so you don't have to worry about people thinking you're an antisocial loser.

Sadly though this approach does seem to work :(
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby joeyraccoon » 20 May 2013, 17:17

I didn't go ps3 because I didn't need a blue ray player . . .
And guess what else I don't need . . . an entertainment centre/pc . . . because I already have a PC . . . it streams all the stuff I need or want . . . YouTube - check . . . Facebook - check . . . downloads, internet, movies, etc etc . . . and it does all these things better (by a long way) than my internet enabled Xbox
What it doesn't do so well . . . is run Xbox games . . . that's what my Xbox is for . . . it's the one and only reason it has a spot near my TV . . . GAMES . . . the sole reason for it's existence . . . GAMES . . .
That is all
Thanks for your time.
joeyraccoon 11

Postby Metalrodent » 20 May 2013, 17:20

hopefully they'll be nice suprises
Last edited by Metalrodent on 20 May 2013, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 70

Postby SidTheSloth » 20 May 2013, 17:34

I don't get some of the logic with this stuff...

If i buy something and it does what i bought it for very well without issue, then what is the problem with it doing extra stuff?

If Mr Dyson brings out a Vacuum Cleaner with a built in beer fridge are you telling me you wouldn't buy it as it's removing the focus from hoovering?

Isn't the media stuff 'nice to haves'? I don't use it, but i don't mind it being there either...

The argument that MS aren't focusing on games is bizarre too, they've been very quiet for the past few years, but they're building a new machine and have set up several studios to make games for that machine - surely logical!?
Last edited by SidTheSloth on 20 May 2013, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Plamsa wing » 20 May 2013, 18:04

Did I miss the meeting where we agreed that games were not in fact, entertainment? Oh no, I can stream Love Film on my Xbox, the horror!
The bitterns are doing it for me.
Plamsa wing 56

Postby Crisco » 20 May 2013, 19:11

I welcome all the apps and other stuff. After getting my arse handed to me on whatever game I'm playing I can put 4OD on and eat a big bowl of chilli whilst watching 8 out of 10 cats. I fail to see how having the ability to watch TV on your xbox is a bad thing, "Damn you Microsoft for making everything more convenient!"

It's not going to have an effect on the games in anyway at all, the big developers (and probably the small ones) won't decide to stop making games and no-one will force you to use these services. Unless your significant other wants to watch a film or something but it's cheaper than going to the cinema, less of a hassle and you can watch it with a big bowl of chilli.
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 45

Postby Worthies » 20 May 2013, 20:12

Being a student next year, without the money to spend on both a games console and TV license, a more broad entertainment console is just what I need:
TV on demand function for keeping upto date with my favourite programmes without having to pay the extortionate £145.50 a year.
And LoveFilm instant using my parents account instead of having to rent or buy films.
Ideal!
As long as they don't detract from the main function that is gaming.

No word of a release date as if yet?
Worthies 30

Postby SilentDark » 20 May 2013, 22:14

SidTheSloth wrote:I don't get some of the logic with this stuff...

If i buy something and it does what i bought it for very well without issue, then what is the problem with it doing extra stuff?

If Mr Dyson brings out a Vacuum Cleaner with a built in beer fridge are you telling me you wouldn't buy it as it's removing the focus from hoovering?

Isn't the media stuff 'nice to haves'? I don't use it, but i don't mind it being there either...

The argument that MS aren't focusing on games is bizarre too, they've been very quiet for the past few years, but they're building a new machine and have set up several studios to make games for that machine - surely logical!?

As the old saying goes, a jack of all trades is a master of none. It doesn't do the internet as well as a PC, my Wii is a better platform for the Youtube app (seriously, the number of times my xbox youtube app crashed out is insane) I suppose I wouldn't mind it doing all the xtra stuff if it acctually did it well. As it is if I can't play Robot Unicorn Attack on my xbox then it might as well not even bother putting Internet Explorer on it. It's all very well positioning yourself as the total entertainment package but when you offer a poor man's version of this entertainment then I'd rather all the money directed into these media apps be used to improve the stability of the base system so we don't end up with another RROD type situation.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Next