to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next genera

Your comments on our articles.

A massive 5000 word dissection based on exclusive pre-reveal access

Tonight, Microsoft's Xbox Reveal presentation finally took the wraps off the company's vision for the future of home entertainment: the hardware, the services and a glimpse at the games. Earlier this month, we were invited to Microsoft's Redmond headquarters to see the machine and discuss it in detail.... read more

Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next genera

Postby samuel6885 » 21 May 2013, 19:52

Thankfully, yes. Does not seem anything to be happy about that lots and lots of gamers can't use a console because it can't play offline. This better be backwards compatible otherwise i'll have to have a hard think to get the next-gen console. :?
samuel6885 29
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 22 Feb 2013, 23:43

Re: Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next ge

Postby lazercut123 » 21 May 2013, 19:58

WOW :!:
"I fear being nothing, I fear having no thought, no feeling, no joy or sadness, I fear nothingness. And spiders." - Me.
User avatar
lazercut123 54
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 20:04

Re: Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next ge

Postby Thos. » 21 May 2013, 20:03

I was travelling home during the announcement, so read a synopsis, and was unaffected by flashing lights and pretty pictures. Based on the facts I'd say I'm about 85% sure I won't get this console.

If Steambox doesn't crash and burn I may get that, otherwise it'll be my first PlayStation purchase since the PS1
User avatar
Thos. 43
 
Posts: 621
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 09:32
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next ge

Postby TheRealLegohead » 21 May 2013, 20:06

Microsoft have made a HUGE mistake not letting this console be backwards compatible, it's made alot of potential customers turn away. I'm considering the same. I have new releases up for pre-order that are going to be released towards the end of the year, I don't want to have to buy them AGAIN, just for the sake of me getting an XBO, and as for the harddrive, they could have at least put it to 1TB.
TheRealLegohead 1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 21 May 2013, 20:03

Re: Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next ge

Postby Thos. » 21 May 2013, 20:19

TheRealLegohead wrote:Microsoft have made a HUGE mistake not letting this console be backwards compatible, it's made alot of potential customers turn away. I'm considering the same. I have new releases up for pre-order that are going to be released towards the end of the year, I don't want to have to buy them AGAIN, just for the sake of me getting an XBO, and as for the harddrive, they could have at least put it to 1TB.


So true. Whenever I buy a new console I take a sledgehammer and smash my old one. Because, you know, I couldn't possibly imagine having two consoles connected to a single TV. Idiot.
User avatar
Thos. 43
 
Posts: 621
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 09:32
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next ge

Postby Metalrodent » 21 May 2013, 20:19

Thos. wrote:
TheRealLegohead wrote:Microsoft have made a HUGE mistake not letting this console be backwards compatible, it's made alot of potential customers turn away. I'm considering the same. I have new releases up for pre-order that are going to be released towards the end of the year, I don't want to have to buy them AGAIN, just for the sake of me getting an XBO, and as for the harddrive, they could have at least put it to 1TB.


So true. Whenever I buy a new console I take a sledgehammer and smash my old one. Because, you know, I couldn't possibly imagine having two consoles connected to a single TV. Idiot.

hey don't be an arse - space is a real issue for some people
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 67
 
Posts: 4227
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next ge

Postby Thos. » 21 May 2013, 20:30

Metalrodent wrote:
Thos. wrote:So true. Whenever I buy a new console I take a sledgehammer and smash my old one. Because, you know, I couldn't possibly imagine having two consoles connected to a single TV. Idiot.

hey don't be an arse - space is a real issue for some people


hahaha, brilliant! - I knew people had an issue with 10 square feet of space for a Kinect - I never realised "alot (sic) of potential customers" couldn't accommodate something the size of a shoebox!
User avatar
Thos. 43
 
Posts: 621
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 09:32
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next ge

Postby Windowlicker79 » 21 May 2013, 20:38

Microsoft have just announced a truly incredible new console, and you guys are bitching about it not playing your old games? Really?? How many of you honestly still play Xbox Original games on your Xbox 360? Did you moan just as much when your DVD player didn't play VHS cassettes? Or when your SNES didn't play NES games? Or that your Nokia 3210 doesn't run 3D games downloaded over 4G?? This complaining about backwards compatibility is nothing short of idiotic. If you want to play old games, keep your old console. Backwards compatibility is not a standard feature of games consoles. It never was and it never will be. Get over it.
Image
ಠ_ಠ
User avatar
Windowlicker79 54
 
Posts: 640
Joined: 23 May 2009, 16:06
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next ge

Postby Thos. » 21 May 2013, 20:44

Forget backwards compatibility, why has no-one here picked up on this:

"We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later"

"enable"? Apparently you have to pay a fee to play second hand games.

Now THAT'S a dealbreaker
User avatar
Thos. 43
 
Posts: 621
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 09:32
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next ge

Postby lazercut123 » 21 May 2013, 20:59

I don't mean to be a dick, but I am actually quite angry with OXM right now.
It's not the fact that you knew about the console and didn't tell us about it, I understand that it is confidential; it's the fact that for weeks you have been saying things like "Xbox will have 1tb hardrive - rumour", yes, you do put the word rumour in it, but why report something you KNOW to be false, what is the point. BBC news doesn't report that some guy said New York had been hit by a nuclear bomb if they know that it is false.

I'm sorry, but its not right. (I bet someone is about to rant at me now)
"I fear being nothing, I fear having no thought, no feeling, no joy or sadness, I fear nothingness. And spiders." - Me.
User avatar
lazercut123 54
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 20:04

Re: Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next ge

Postby OXM ETboy » 21 May 2013, 21:05

Which rumour stories are you referring to, lazercut? Jonty went to see the new Xbox week before last, and he kept everything under his hat till this weekend, so I've only just got to grips with the truth of the matter, really.
User avatar
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff
 
Posts: 3167
Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 18:07

Re: Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next ge

Postby PonderingWalrus » 21 May 2013, 21:08

lazercut123 wrote:I don't mean to be a dick, but I am actually quite angry with OXM right now.
It's not the fact that you knew about the console and didn't tell us about it, I understand that it is confidential; it's the fact that for weeks you have been saying things like "Xbox will have 1tb hardrive - rumour", yes, you do put the word rumour in it, but why report something you KNOW to be false, what is the point. BBC news doesn't report that some guy said New York had been hit by a nuclear bomb if they know that it is false.

I'm sorry, but its not right. (I bet someone is about to rant at me now)


I'm not going to rant at you but will say that I am pretty sure most of the rumours were published BEFORE they saw the Xbox One. Meaning they had no idea about their validity.

EDIT: I mean, what Ed said. He knows the score.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
User avatar
PonderingWalrus 42
 
Posts: 677
Joined: 26 Nov 2012, 22:12
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next ge

Postby Darquess » 21 May 2013, 21:27

no backwards compatibility


NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

So I have to re-play the Mass Effect Trilogy, every single Rockstar game and Crackdown 2....again? To 100% completion?
I hate you microsoft. Now I will HAVE to keep my 360.

Also...does this mean they will have to re-re-release all the HD remakes?
I see why EA is dealing with Microsoft...(they both appear to be after our cash...all of it)

EDIT: I have just thought... son't you have to rename the magazine XBOX One now? Isn't that going to be...well...terrible?
Darquess 15
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 09 Jun 2012, 10:47
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next ge

Postby senote » 21 May 2013, 21:29

Metalrodent wrote:
Thos. wrote:So true. Whenever I buy a new console I take a sledgehammer and smash my old one. Because, you know, I couldn't possibly imagine having two consoles connected to a single TV. Idiot.

hey don't be an arse - space is a real issue for some people


It's taken MS almost 10 years to get this many people on XBL, and since a lot of those wont be rushing to buy a new xbox people like me face a choice, play a game on the XB1, or the 360, play with one group or another. The only way this could be any worse is if things like party chat etc is limited to console types i.e. you can't party chat between people on one and 360.

Perhaps a more simple perspective, doesn't having to have two consoles really ruin Microsofts idea of being the one entertainment machine in your living room?
User avatar
senote 24
 
Posts: 74
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 13:04
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next ge

Postby KernowDevil23 » 21 May 2013, 21:41

Darquess wrote:I have just thought... son't you have to rename the magazine XBOX One now? Isn't that going to be...well...terrible?


At the moment, it's "Xbox 360: The Official Xbox Magazine", so to simply swap out the 360 part for the word One is hardly terrible is it?! :lol:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
User avatar
KernowDevil23 56
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 21:53

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]