Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next genera

Your comments on our articles.

A massive 5000 word dissection based on exclusive pre-reveal access

Tonight, Microsoft's Xbox Reveal presentation finally took the wraps off the company's vision for the future of home entertainment: the hardware, the services and a glimpse at the games. Earlier this month, we were invited to Microsoft's Redmond headquarters to see the machine and discuss it in detail.... read more

Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next genera

Postby samuel6885 » 21 May 2013, 19:52

Thankfully, yes. Does not seem anything to be happy about that lots and lots of gamers can't use a console because it can't play offline. This better be backwards compatible otherwise i'll have to have a hard think to get the next-gen console. :?
samuel6885 29

Re: Xbox One revealed: OXM's definitive guide to the next ge

Postby Thos. » 21 May 2013, 20:03

I was travelling home during the announcement, so read a synopsis, and was unaffected by flashing lights and pretty pictures. Based on the facts I'd say I'm about 85% sure I won't get this console.

If Steambox doesn't crash and burn I may get that, otherwise it'll be my first PlayStation purchase since the PS1
Thos. 46

Postby TheRealLegohead » 21 May 2013, 20:06

Microsoft have made a HUGE mistake not letting this console be backwards compatible, it's made alot of potential customers turn away. I'm considering the same. I have new releases up for pre-order that are going to be released towards the end of the year, I don't want to have to buy them AGAIN, just for the sake of me getting an XBO, and as for the harddrive, they could have at least put it to 1TB.
TheRealLegohead 1

Postby Thos. » 21 May 2013, 20:19

TheRealLegohead wrote:Microsoft have made a HUGE mistake not letting this console be backwards compatible, it's made alot of potential customers turn away. I'm considering the same. I have new releases up for pre-order that are going to be released towards the end of the year, I don't want to have to buy them AGAIN, just for the sake of me getting an XBO, and as for the harddrive, they could have at least put it to 1TB.

So true. Whenever I buy a new console I take a sledgehammer and smash my old one. Because, you know, I couldn't possibly imagine having two consoles connected to a single TV. Idiot.
Thos. 46

Postby Metalrodent » 21 May 2013, 20:19

Thos. wrote:
TheRealLegohead wrote:Microsoft have made a HUGE mistake not letting this console be backwards compatible, it's made alot of potential customers turn away. I'm considering the same. I have new releases up for pre-order that are going to be released towards the end of the year, I don't want to have to buy them AGAIN, just for the sake of me getting an XBO, and as for the harddrive, they could have at least put it to 1TB.

So true. Whenever I buy a new console I take a sledgehammer and smash my old one. Because, you know, I couldn't possibly imagine having two consoles connected to a single TV. Idiot.

hey don't be an arse - space is a real issue for some people
People get confused when a sentence doesn't end the way they potato.

Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Postby Thos. » 21 May 2013, 20:30

Metalrodent wrote:
Thos. wrote:So true. Whenever I buy a new console I take a sledgehammer and smash my old one. Because, you know, I couldn't possibly imagine having two consoles connected to a single TV. Idiot.

hahaha, brilliant! - I knew people had an issue with 10 square feet of space for a Kinect - I never realised "alot (sic) of potential customers" couldn't accommodate something the size of a shoebox!
Thos. 46

Postby Windowlicker79 » 21 May 2013, 20:38

Microsoft have just announced a truly incredible new console, and you guys are bitching about it not playing your old games? Really?? How many of you honestly still play Xbox Original games on your Xbox 360? Did you moan just as much when your DVD player didn't play VHS cassettes? Or when your SNES didn't play NES games? Or that your Nokia 3210 doesn't run 3D games downloaded over 4G?? This complaining about backwards compatibility is nothing short of idiotic. If you want to play old games, keep your old console. Backwards compatibility is not a standard feature of games consoles. It never was and it never will be. Get over it.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 55

Postby Thos. » 21 May 2013, 20:44

Forget backwards compatibility, why has no-one here picked up on this:

"We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later"

"enable"? Apparently you have to pay a fee to play second hand games.

Now THAT'S a dealbreaker
Thos. 46

Postby OXM ETboy » 21 May 2013, 21:05

Which rumour stories are you referring to, lazercut? Jonty went to see the new Xbox week before last, and he kept everything under his hat till this weekend, so I've only just got to grips with the truth of the matter, really.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby PonderingWalrus » 21 May 2013, 21:08

lazercut123 wrote:I don't mean to be a dick, but I am actually quite angry with OXM right now.
It's not the fact that you knew about the console and didn't tell us about it, I understand that it is confidential; it's the fact that for weeks you have been saying things like "Xbox will have 1tb hardrive - rumour", yes, you do put the word rumour in it, but why report something you KNOW to be false, what is the point. BBC news doesn't report that some guy said New York had been hit by a nuclear bomb if they know that it is false.

I'm sorry, but its not right. (I bet someone is about to rant at me now)

I'm not going to rant at you but will say that I am pretty sure most of the rumours were published BEFORE they saw the Xbox One. Meaning they had no idea about their validity.

EDIT: I mean, what Ed said. He knows the score.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby Darquess » 21 May 2013, 21:27

no backwards compatibility

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

So I have to re-play the Mass Effect Trilogy, every single Rockstar game and Crackdown 2....again? To 100% completion?
I hate you microsoft. Now I will HAVE to keep my 360.

Also...does this mean they will have to re-re-release all the HD remakes?
I see why EA is dealing with Microsoft...(they both appear to be after our cash...all of it)

EDIT: I have just thought... son't you have to rename the magazine XBOX One now? Isn't that going to be...well...terrible?
Darquess 15

Postby senote » 21 May 2013, 21:29

Metalrodent wrote:
Thos. wrote:So true. Whenever I buy a new console I take a sledgehammer and smash my old one. Because, you know, I couldn't possibly imagine having two consoles connected to a single TV. Idiot.

It's taken MS almost 10 years to get this many people on XBL, and since a lot of those wont be rushing to buy a new xbox people like me face a choice, play a game on the XB1, or the 360, play with one group or another. The only way this could be any worse is if things like party chat etc is limited to console types i.e. you can't party chat between people on one and 360.

Perhaps a more simple perspective, doesn't having to have two consoles really ruin Microsofts idea of being the one entertainment machine in your living room?
senote 27

Postby KernowDevil23 » 21 May 2013, 21:41

Darquess wrote:I have just thought... son't you have to rename the magazine XBOX One now? Isn't that going to be...well...terrible?

At the moment, it's "Xbox 360: The Official Xbox Magazine", so to simply swap out the 360 part for the word One is hardly terrible is it?! :lol:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Pompey78 » 21 May 2013, 22:05

Jesus, some of us have got a bit angry about this !

Not buying it because it won't play 360 games? really, ok, fair enough I guess but that's not an issue for me, I've got 20 odd games i hardly have time to play at the moment so not really bothered about not playing them on the next gen console. And why would you want to replay Mass Effect on a new console just to get the same achievements? you've already got them.

Anyway how do you know that achievements will be the same on the one? limited to 1,000? doesn't appear so....

So far from what we know it looks like a really cool piece of kit. It plays games ( a bit of a must), has the media content that we've already got on the 360 and apparently will enable some kind of interactions with friends online with their 360's - I'm guessing, online status, chat, party chat etc.

Bigger questions to be answered at E3 or after for me are:

Price - rumoured to be $499-$599 in the US, and as most of the rumours to date have been true more or less that would probably translate in the UK as £499-£599. That for me put's my purchase on hold to sometime in 2014 although the rumoured lower cost subscription model might be of interest.

Kinect, now that's my real concern at the moment. For all of the slick voice commands and gesture commands on the presentation tonight I'm still worried and not convinced by Kinect for a typical UK living space, let alone those in Japan ! I purchased Kinect for the 360 and promptly sold it within 6 months because it just couldn't work in our living space. Yes I got suckered in to the marketing on the Kinect for 360 and I won't be making the mistake with the One and it's reliance on Kinect until I've seen it in action in small spaces or unless it has some kind of limited return policy that if it doesn't work within your living room set up you can get your money back. Yes I know that won't happen !

Overall very impressed with what we've seen so far, interactive TV, - cancel my SKY subscription !, Skype, cancel my phone package......

The interactive TV functions including stuff shown tonight like the fantasy NBA team look great but I'm sceptical as to how and who would implement for the UK and Europe - so is this going to be USA centric (again) with limited functions and appeal to the wider world? time will tell....

Will you be able to pay to access USA content outside of the US? I bloody hope so.... no more crap netflix UK or lovefilm, now that would be nice.
Gamertag MattHayward
Getting my kids into gaming to justify an Xbox One purchase :)
Pompey78 33

Postby MiniMitch2305 » 21 May 2013, 22:16

I may have dreamed this, but did Microsoft not say there would be ways for 360 Users and One Users to communicate over Live? So you can still communicate with your friends, even if they haven't "upgraded?"

Also, how would your account work once your transferred it to the One? Would you still be able to play games and earn achievements? (If this is the case non backwards capability will not be a problem).
MiniMitch2305 4

Next