to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One games are locked to Xbox Live accounts, but there's

Your comments on our articles.

Update: conflicting reports on access from Microsoft and journalists

Xbox One games will require mandatory installation to the console's hard drive, Microsoft has confirmed, and will be locked to the account of a single user. In addition, a variety of statements have been made regarding pre-owned games and playing games on other consoles, many of them rather ambiguous and contradictory.... read more

Postby TinnoUnited » 21 May 2013, 20:50

Well that makes it better. Though I wonder how they will know when you have sold it; what's stopping you keeping it installed? Maybe after a certain period of time, it deletes itself. Who knows. Now i'm having an argument with myself :roll:
TinnoUnited 29

Postby Cokney Charmer » 21 May 2013, 20:52

Yeah..they have finally brought across the business model they use for their OS and Office Software by charging per user license for use of games now.

Sad times, there is no positive spin on this. None at all
Twitter = @CockneyCharmer
Cokney Charmer 21

Re: Xbox One games are locked to Xbox Live accounts, but the

Postby TinnoUnited » 21 May 2013, 20:56

Cokney Charmer wrote:Yeah..they have finally brought across the business model they use for their OS and Office Software by charging per user license for use of games now.

I don't get why people are getting so worked up about it. Yes, you can't lend your mates a game, but apart from that what's the problem if they don't charge a fee? You can recover accounts at people's houses and presumably play the game. Rental could be an issue, but really it's only game-sharing that is hit.
TinnoUnited 29

Postby SidTheSloth » 21 May 2013, 20:57

Wonder how many times you can lock/unlock a game from your account? If lending a disk to a friend can you not unlock it from yours and then re-add it when you get it back for example?

The lack of information on this is making it sound much worse than it actually is i think, the lending to mates/multiple consoles inside your house aside there doesn't seem to be a terrific difference?
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby PonderingWalrus » 21 May 2013, 20:57

TinnoUnited wrote:Well that makes it better. Though I wonder how they will know when you have sold it; what's stopping you keeping it installed? Maybe after a certain period of time, it deletes itself. Who knows. Now i'm having an argument with myself :roll:

I think that, even though it will be installed, it will still require the disc for you to play it. Much like the 360.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby Malesoun » 21 May 2013, 20:58

Read as is above, I would need to pay a fee in order to let my son play the same game on the same console but with his own XBL a/c. If that is indeed the case, then it completely goes against the concept of a livingroom device. And then there is the situation where a family owns more than one console.

If the policy is as it is displayed above, it will be broken the minute Sony capitalises on it and refuses to follow suit.
Malesoun 1

Postby Windowlicker79 » 21 May 2013, 21:00

How does this affect multiple users of the same console? Me and my housemate use the same console (because its in our living room, not one in each bedroom like a child would have) and it would be pretty shitty if only one of us could play the game.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 54

Postby Cokney Charmer » 21 May 2013, 21:04

TinnoUnited wrote:
Cokney Charmer wrote:Yeah..they have finally brought across the business model they use for their OS and Office Software by charging per user license for use of games now.

I don't get why people are getting so worked up about it. Yes, you can't lend your mates a game, but apart from that what's the problem if they don't charge a fee? You can recover accounts at people's houses and presumably play the game. Rental could be an issue, but really it's only game-sharing that is hit.

This is not really about stopping you lending a game to a mate. This is preventing you from trading your game in for someone else to buy second hand

This wont be buy a game 2nd and spend 800MSP to have the online pass, this is the publisher setting the price it will cost to activate the game to play again. That would give the publisher and not a retailer, the power to set the price on the preowned game, especially with MSP being removed end of this year

They will price it in such a way that it will not be viable to buy second hand and just to buy new as is. Hell, I can see publishers like EA, only doing digital copies of their games to buy, hence the big push of using cloud storage on Xbox One

Think bigger picture
Cokney Charmer 21

Postby SidTheSloth » 21 May 2013, 21:05

Maybe they'll introduce multi-license versions like they do with software? Extra ten/twenty quid to use it on 2 consoles for example? Not saying it's what's happening, or i think it's a good idea etc, just a suggestion based on other software etc.
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby SidTheSloth » 21 May 2013, 21:07

Cokney Charmer wrote:This is preventing you from trading your game in for someone else to buy second hand

No, it specifically isn't. It states you can unlock it from your account and then someone can re-install it free of charge - ergo the only fee paid would be the second hand one (at the retailer - Game etc):

The Article wrote:when you sell the game on Microsoft will deactivate your install, meaning the next purchaser won't have to pay the second-user fee.
Last edited by SidTheSloth on 21 May 2013, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Cokney Charmer » 21 May 2013, 21:10

Windowlicker79 wrote:How does this affect multiple users of the same console? Me and my housemate use the same console (because its in our living room, not one in each bedroom like a child would have) and it would be pretty shitty if only one of us could play the game.

It would work on a per user/Account level basis..not console...so each account would have to have the license/Activation key to play the game on the same Xbox One console....as I understand it
Cokney Charmer 21

Postby Windowlicker79 » 21 May 2013, 21:13

Cokney Charmer wrote:
Windowlicker79 wrote:How does this affect multiple users of the same console? Me and my housemate use the same console (because its in our living room, not one in each bedroom like a child would have) and it would be pretty shitty if only one of us could play the game.

It would work on a per user/Account level basis..not console...so each account would have to have the license/Activation key to play the game on the same Xbox One console....as I understand it

So one license could be shared between multiple users of the same console? If that's the case then I'm OK with it.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 54

Postby CunningSmile » 21 May 2013, 21:16

So my girlfriend will need to pay to play a game we bought together because it's locked to me, but the guy I sell it to on eBay gets to play it for free? Am I the only one who thinks that's the wrong way round? I think MS really need to clarify this a bit
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Cokney Charmer » 21 May 2013, 21:16

it would mean each person would need a license to play the game on their account....even if using the same console...thats what a per user license is, not a per console license...unless they off that come launch
Cokney Charmer 21

Postby SidTheSloth » 21 May 2013, 21:19

CunningSmile wrote:I think MS really need to clarify this a bit

This. Along with a lot of other stuff. The lack of info about this stuff is the most disappointing part of the presentation tonight for me. It's not been helped by every website who got a sneak preview leaking loads of info that wasn't mentioned during the show, contradicting each other, and inevitably being chinese whispered around the internet...
SidTheSloth 53

Next