to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One Achievement system changes detailed by Microsoft

Your comments on our articles.

Carry over from Xbox 360, but can be updated

Microsoft has confirmed that Achievements will carry over from Xbox 360 to Xbox One, along with your Gamertag, but revealed that rather than being fixed lists they'll evolve over time.... read more

Xbox One Achievement system changes detailed by Microsoft

Postby Bugsquat » 21 May 2013, 23:01

Woe betide the OCD completionist. The greatest thing about completing a game and its achievements was knowing that a game was definitively 'finished' and you could look back and reflect upon you work with pride. When I 'finished' RDR, I took a last look around, savoured the moment, and quit that world with a huge feeling of quiet stoicism, knowing my work was done. If 3 months later they released a new batch of stuff to do, I, as an OCD completionist, would feel compelled to go back in and do them because I wouldn't be 'finished' anymore, and my sense of 'finished-ness' would be nullified.

These are just my own musings on the subject: sorry if I'm coming across as negative at all.

What I'm basically trying to say is that the sense of accomplishment is lost somewhat when achievements become a stream of things to do rather than a definite goal that you can chip away at.
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
User avatar
Bugsquat 30
 
Posts: 153
Joined: 20 May 2013, 15:19
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One Achievement system changes detailed by Microsof

Postby Roland of Gilead » 22 May 2013, 08:09

Or, you could see it as getting more for your money. Though if you're playing through a game thats become a massive drag, and you're just grinding out the last few boring achievements to get the 1000, I do see the downside. But for a game like Skyrim, or even RDR, I would always be happy to go back.

Maybe the new system will be more like the XP challenge system used in the more recent Halo games.....?
Roland of Gilead 15
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 22 Oct 2012, 13:07
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One Achievement system changes detailed by Microsof

Postby TinnoUnited » 22 May 2013, 09:21

Bugsquat wrote:Woe betide the OCD completionist. The greatest thing about completing a game and its achievements was knowing that a game was definitively 'finished' and you could look back and reflect upon you work with pride. When I 'finished' RDR, I took a last look around, savoured the moment, and quit that world with a huge feeling of quiet stoicism, knowing my work was done. If 3 months later they released a new batch of stuff to do, I, as an OCD completionist, would feel compelled to go back in and do them because I wouldn't be 'finished' anymore, and my sense of 'finished-ness' would be nullified.

Now while I 100% see your point (and agree with you), you have hit on exactly the reason while they are doing this. Previously, if 100%'ed a game, I wouldn't really think of playing it again (exception Halo 3); now if they added more achievements, I would be a lot more inclined to put the disk in and play it. Maybe it's because I didn't 100% many games, but it could certainly extend the life of a lot of games.
User avatar
TinnoUnited 29
 
Posts: 419
Joined: 20 Jan 2009, 17:45
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One Achievement system changes detailed by Microsof

Postby Captain_Chao5 » 22 May 2013, 10:17

TinnoUnited wrote:
Bugsquat wrote:Woe betide the OCD completionist. The greatest thing about completing a game and its achievements was knowing that a game was definitively 'finished' and you could look back and reflect upon you work with pride. When I 'finished' RDR, I took a last look around, savoured the moment, and quit that world with a huge feeling of quiet stoicism, knowing my work was done. If 3 months later they released a new batch of stuff to do, I, as an OCD completionist, would feel compelled to go back in and do them because I wouldn't be 'finished' anymore, and my sense of 'finished-ness' would be nullified.

Now while I 100% see your point (and agree with you), you have hit on exactly the reason while they are doing this. Previously, if 100%'ed a game, I wouldn't really think of playing it again (exception Halo 3); now if they added more achievements, I would be a lot more inclined to put the disk in and play it. Maybe it's because I didn't 100% many games, but it could certainly extend the life of a lot of games.

Surely 'extending the life' would be better achieved by new DLC? I have not completed many games 100%, but I wouldn't be rushing to play the same story again just to get a new achievement. Obviously there are some exceptions where games are THAT good, but not many.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864

GT = Captain Chao5 on Xbox 360 and Xbox One
Image
User avatar
Captain_Chao5 52
 
Posts: 975
Joined: 20 Sep 2011, 09:44

Re: Xbox One Achievement system changes detailed by Microsof

Postby FishyGinger » 22 May 2013, 10:30

Captain_Chao5 wrote:Surely 'extending the life' would be better achieved by new DLC? I have not completed many games 100%, but I wouldn't be rushing to play the same story again just to get a new achievement. Obviously there are some exceptions where games are THAT good, but not many.


But DLC is evil and even if it's good content made quite some time after the game is finished it should all be free, right?

I've never understood the 'only finished until you have all the achievements' thing. In Sonys words, the game is finished when I say it's finished.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
User avatar
FishyGinger 66
 
Posts: 3730
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: Xbox One Achievement system changes detailed by Microsof

Postby CunningSmile » 22 May 2013, 11:23

Captain_Chao5 wrote:Surely 'extending the life' would be better achieved by new DLC? I have not completed many games 100%, but I wouldn't be rushing to play the same story again just to get a new achievement. Obviously there are some exceptions where games are THAT good, but not many.


I've never been a completionist, in fact most of my games have less than 50% of the achievements unlocked as I just play the story and get what I get, but I've often replayed things like RDR or Arkham City and missed the little ping of achievements unlocking. If I could stick an old game in after a year of not playing and get a few new things for just playing through naturally I'd not complain.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
User avatar
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9331
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One Achievement system changes detailed by Microsof

Postby techn0t0ne » 22 May 2013, 14:25

There are some interesting possibilities here....and not just for developers

Imaging being able to issue and record a personal set achievement of your very own and then have it shared publicly.

:!:
techn0t0ne 17
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 15:51
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One Achievement system changes detailed by Microsof

Postby Decent_Jam » 22 May 2013, 20:36

I think it depends on the game as to how effective this is, I can certainly see it extending the life of some games for some people though.

I wonder if the new achievements will steal some of the features of Raptr, since it is so popular. If I was Microsoft I'd definitely work with them to see what makes them compelling.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
User avatar
Decent_Jam 58
 
Posts: 3292
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 10:50
Location: United Kingdom


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Metalrodent, MSNbot Media and 3 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]