to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One controller hands-on: the next generation of rumble

Your comments on our articles.

Motorised triggers give it a real kick

Microsoft's newly-announced Xbox One doesn't move far away from the design of the Xbox 360 pad, and for good reason. It's widely held to be one of the best, and defines modern gaming to the point where even Nintendo had to build an approximation of it for the Wii U.... read more

Xbox One controller hands-on: the next generation of rumble

Postby SidTheSloth » 22 May 2013, 09:56

Aesthetically i don't think it looks quite as good, but i seriously couldn't give a toss as long as the thing is comfy/works as well as the 360 one. The rumble triggers sound pretty cool, and should be a nice addition if done right. The one thing i was wondering about was some sort of force feedback in the analogue sticks, maybe i ask for too much though - can only imagine the inclusion would push the cost through the roof too!
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 53

Re: Xbox One controller hands-on: the next generation of rum

Postby bobknight1 » 22 May 2013, 10:11

Ive noticed that the connector for the microphone seems to have changed does this mean my TurtleBeach head set isnt going to work anymore?
bobknight1 31

Postby SidTheSloth » 22 May 2013, 10:13

bobknight1 wrote:Ive noticed that the connector for the microphone seems to have changed does this mean my TurtleBeach head set isnt going to work anymore?

Oh... Now that's a good spot and question... Not in their interests for it to work i guess, but another annoyance/expense if they don't work - hadn't even thought of that! :|

Now i'm wondering about fightsticks, steering wheels etc too (although not worried too much by the latter, it's about time they brought out a good new one to rival the PS wheels!)
SidTheSloth 53

Postby TinnoUnited » 22 May 2013, 10:29

SidTheSloth wrote:
bobknight1 wrote:Ive noticed that the connector for the microphone seems to have changed does this mean my TurtleBeach head set isnt going to work anymore?

Oh... Now that's a good spot and question... Not in their interests for it to work i guess, but another annoyance/expense if they don't work - hadn't even thought of that! :|

Now i'm wondering about fightsticks, steering wheels etc too (although not worried too much by the latter, it's about time they brought out a good new one to rival the PS wheels!)

You would think someone would bring out an adapter if it didn't work with the new controller (much like iPhone 5 connectors). And yes, hope they bring out a new wheel, and a solid one rather than one you hold in the air....
TinnoUnited 29

Postby SidTheSloth » 22 May 2013, 10:37

TinnoUnited wrote:And yes, hope they bring out a new wheel, and a solid one rather than one you hold in the air....

Posted this somewhere else yesterday, if they don't bring one out with Forza that's the nuts, they've missed a very easy/obvious trick!!

Presumably though that air-wheel thing is also useless with 'one' as it's using the old wireless technology - they may have been sneaky and included the new stuff too, but i doubt it...

Sure someone will bring a headphone adapter of some sort - sure Turtle Beach et al don't want to go the next six months without selling any more headphones for example?
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 22 May 2013, 11:31

I remember playing Code Veronica on The Sega Dreamcast and the Visual Memory unit in the controller would display your health which was a cool idea at the time.

It would be interesting if future horror games did away with the on screen health display and the Characters heartbeat was reflected in the vibrations of the controller. Strong vibrations means your healthy and weak barely noticeable vibrations mean you're not far off knocking on heavens door.

Mixed with character animations it could be a very effective way to breath new life into a genre that's lost its edge
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby CunningSmile » 22 May 2013, 11:35

Johnbhoy69 wrote:It would be interesting if future horror games did away with the on screen health display and the Characters heartbeat was reflected in the vibrations of the controller. Strong vibrations means your healthy and weak barely noticeable vibrations mean you're not far off knocking on heavens door.

Mixed with character animations it could be a very effective way to breath new life into a genre that's lost its edge

Nice idea but I think they'd need to flip that over. If you had a strong vibration when healthy could you imagine how annoying that would be after a few hours of play? Strong vibrations for being near death I think would have a bigger impact as you'd start to panic more the stronger it got.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Grummy » 22 May 2013, 11:40

The only thing I can think of every time I look at the new pad is 'This isn't even my final form!'.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 22 May 2013, 11:58

CunningSmile wrote:Nice idea but I think they'd need to flip that over. If you had a strong vibration when healthy could you imagine how annoying that would be after a few hours of play? Strong vibrations for being near death I think would have a bigger impact as you'd start to panic more the stronger it got.

Good point, Maybe the vibrations would only come into effect for a short time after dealing with an enemy as a reminder of your health situation. Its a bit gimmicky I know but on screen displays really kill the atmosphere in horror games
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby CadX » 22 May 2013, 12:18

The overall style of it sort of looks like the original Xbox controller, and the 360, I like it!

Does anyone know whether or not that although the wireless connectivity of the 360 controllers are not 'good enough', thus not being able to use them, can you use a 360 controller via a wired connection?
CadX 26

Postby Gazisdaman » 22 May 2013, 12:59

Does the new connection mean that I can slightly shake it now without it disconnecting?
Gazisdaman 35

Postby CunningSmile » 22 May 2013, 13:04

Gazisdaman wrote:Does the new connection mean that I can slightly shake it now without it disconnecting?

How hard are you shaking it?! I've dropped mine before now without a problem, and my dog once grabbed it out my hands a run down the garden with it. Still connected when I got it back.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 22 May 2013, 13:08

CunningSmile wrote:
Gazisdaman wrote:Does the new connection mean that I can slightly shake it now without it disconnecting?

How hard are you shaking it?! I've dropped mine before now without a problem, and my dog once grabbed it out my hands a run down the garden with it. Still connected when I got it back.

So....did the dog get a higher score than you?
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby CunningSmile » 22 May 2013, 14:06

FishyGinger wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:How hard are you shaking it?! I've dropped mine before now without a problem, and my dog once grabbed it out my hands a run down the garden with it. Still connected when I got it back.

So....did the dog get a higher score than you?

No, but she has a respectable gamerscore for someone with no opposable thumbs

http://www.xboxgamertag.com/search/SabrinaTDog/
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby msbhvn » 22 May 2013, 14:07

CunningSmile wrote:
FishyGinger wrote:So....did the dog get a higher score than you?

No, but she has a respectable gamerscore for someone with no opposable thumbs

http://www.xboxgamertag.com/search/SabrinaTDog/

Battle Fantasia

Last played at Mon, 01 Jan 1753 00:00:00 GMT

Your dog's apparently a time traveller too. :shock:
#SaveOXM
msbhvn 69

Next