to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft: Xbox One game locking is "no different to how dis

Your comments on our articles.

"Think about how you use a disc that you own of an Xbox 360 game."

Speaking to Eurogamer, Phil Harrison has attempted to clear up some of the confusion that arose over Xbox One game ownership in the aftermath of yesterday's Xbox One reveal.... read more

Microsoft: Xbox One game locking is "no different to how dis

Postby unabatedshagie » 22 May 2013, 10:33

I understand why they are doing this but right now I can loan my disk to a friend and they can play it but from my reading of this the only way they could do that with the One would be to sign in with my account unlike now when they can play it as long as they have the disk.

Also how does it work with multiple consoles in the house? Say my son and I both have One's, I buy a game and install it on mine, he want to play it in his room, by reading this again it doesn't seem like this is possible?
unabatedshagie 17

Re: Microsoft: Xbox One game locking is "no different to how

Postby Bubblebeard JS » 22 May 2013, 10:59

buy the sounds of it, you can play any game you own on any xbox one, AS LONG as you sign in as your own profile on the console you want to play it on.

BUT if you want to play it on another console (like your sons) and he signs in on HIS OWN profile then you will need to pay for a licence.

hope this helps. :)
Bubblebeard JS 39

Postby CunningSmile » 22 May 2013, 11:13

So what if my hypothetical son (or in the real world my girlfriend) wants to play this game on her console with her profile? At present I just lend her the disc and she plays it (we quite often go halves on games for this reason) Now she needs to pay extra? Seems a little stupid.

Even stupider if the only solution is to COMPLETELY uninstall from your console everytime your son wants to go upstairs and play. Can you imagine getting in from work, sitting down to play Generic Shooter X that you've been really looking forward to only to find little Johnny has gone down the park without unistalling it from his machine?

And what does he mean by 'anyone who has permission to use my console can play it'? Can they play it on their own profile, or will little Johnny have to use my profile?
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby B3DDO3 » 22 May 2013, 11:43

May only be me but I am reading this as whoever has a profile on your xbox one has permission to play the game. So you could have your son's, girlfriend, dog, wife and or friends profile on your xbox then they essentially own the game as well, enabling them to load it up on their console and play without fee.

The fee comes into place when you sell your game to some randomer, that person will then have to pay to be able to play the game. May only be me reading it like this but I do the same thing I have my family members profiles on my console and when I play a game they load their profile up and their save info and everything comes with on the cloud.
B3DDO3 31

Postby FishyGinger » 22 May 2013, 11:46

CunningSmile wrote:So what if my hypothetical son (or in the real world my girlfriend) wants to play this game on her console with her profile? At present I just lend her the disc and she plays it (we quite often go halves on games for this reason) Now she needs to pay extra? Seems a little stupid.

Even stupider if the only solution is to COMPLETELY uninstall from your console everytime your son wants to go upstairs and play. Can you imagine getting in from work, sitting down to play Generic Shooter X that you've been really looking forward to only to find little Johnny has gone down the park without unistalling it from his machine?

And what does he mean by 'anyone who has permission to use my console can play it'? Can they play it on their own profile, or will little Johnny have to use my profile?

From what it sounds like then yes your ladyfriend would need to pay again for her console and her profile. I would gather that the 'right' to play is possibly something to do with parental controls and age ratings, so as your lady is under 5ft she wouldn't be allowed to play games for normal sized humans only on her profile on your console.

This is all fairly confusing and they really need to come out and say exactly what is and isn't allowed/doable.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby CunningSmile » 22 May 2013, 11:48

FishyGinger wrote: I would gather that the 'right' to play is possibly something to do with parental controls and age ratings, so as your lady is under 5ft she wouldn't be allowed to play games for normal sized humans only on her profile on your console.

You realise my girlfriend is armed, and lives ten minutes up the road from you don't you? :wink:
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby SLBruinScotty » 22 May 2013, 12:03

No harrison that is NOT how discs operate today. Also, the one will require an internet connection? So what about the sections of your market who don't have one or have poor ones? For most of the time i've had my xbox i haven't had an internet connection to go with it, this never stopped me enjoying games, particularly preowned games, but the xbox one would have because i wouldn't have been able to digitally pay for an unlock/installation code.

There are still questions that need to be cleared up, like can the one run games from the disc instead of the hdd? Have they thought about how big these games are going to be? I own a lot of games, i doubt i'd be able to install all my 360 games on a 500gb hard drive, and these bigger next gen games are bound to take up even more space, so what if your hdd runs out of space? Will heavy gamers be constantly unistalling and reinstalling on their consoles? If you have to remove a game, will the machine think the disc is preowned and therefore charge you if you try to reinstall said game?

I can't say i'm particularly liking what i'm hearing about this new console, or the look for that matter, it looks like and old vcr/dvd player, surely they could have styled it just a little better.
SLBruinScotty 9

Postby squirrelofDoom » 22 May 2013, 12:25

I can see what they're trying to do by installing the games onto the hard drive so you don't need to change discs, but it throws up to many variables.
If they just kept to the 360 way of having the disc in the drive at all times we wouldn't be talking about this. They could have the game install on my friends X1 (yeah, I'm calling it that, I'm hip and cool) through the disc, and when I take it home it gives them the option to download a license instead of the whole game, which makes sense.
This is an unnecessary problem for a little bit of convenience. Not to mention the fact that this probably more to do with stopping people just sharing games.
One way of getting past the sharing problem maybe, is to have the ability to give a friend permission through Xbox live, by way of a trial period of say 30 days and transferring the license onto their gamer tag. Again, a complicated solution to a simple problem. Whatever way you look at it, someone will lose out.
squirrelofDoom 26

Postby FishyGinger » 22 May 2013, 12:37

CunningSmile wrote:
FishyGinger wrote: I would gather that the 'right' to play is possibly something to do with parental controls and age ratings, so as your lady is under 5ft she wouldn't be allowed to play games for normal sized humans only on her profile on your console.

You realise my girlfriend is armed, and lives ten minutes up the road from you don't you? :wink:

To quote Robin....Holy shit, Batman....

You know I don't like tiny people, they're quick to anger. Especially armed ones! I would say my ladyfriend would protect me but apparently she's allergic to pain.

I must admit it is nice on steam having a whole range of games, 30+ large games, that you can start up straight away but as you say DoomRodent I'd rather have an easier to use/trade system the 360 has. I rarely swap games with my brother, I've maybe done it...twice now in how ever many years but it's still nice.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby SkinnerChinner » 22 May 2013, 12:41

What are the implications on rental services? Not that I've ever used them much...but from this it seems it'd pretty much kill rentals off, with 'tied' licenses...and Blockbuster aren't doing too well as of late!

And it's not how discs work at the moment you foo'! It's pretty self bloody explanitory you and your friend/better half/fruit of your loins etc... can't both play at the same time with one copy, what I can do is let them borrow the physical disc to play on their own profile, at their own accord, and be free to use mine to play something else. If I lend my brother a game, or visa versa (as we occassionally do) do we have to using each other's profile/console?
SkinnerChinner 36

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 22 May 2013, 12:57

I own over 350 360 games, every one of them brought new (over 100 of them still sealed!), and both my sons often borrow my games to play on their systems. There are four 360 consoles in my house, I have one downstairs, my two sons have one each, and I have one set up in my bedroom. It looks very much like not only will my sons not be able to borrow my games an more, but playing my own games on my second console might create issues, which is a real pain.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby msbhvn » 22 May 2013, 13:24

I posted something similar on another thread, but I think MS will allow game licence sharing under the Xbox Live Family Pack.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby lawsond28 » 22 May 2013, 13:26

I'm sitting in the 'Rather disappointed' camp on the whole Xbox One reveal and the continuing lack of clarity over the scenarios whereby a game disc can be used on other consoles or by other family members is going to put off a lot of potential buyers who simply want to play games. Most people can't be arsed with all of the pissing around with deinstalling games, changing gamer profiles etc, they just want to turn on the machine and play whatever game they happen to be into at that moment. Gone are the days of being able to lend your copy of a game to your mate while he lends you one of his. Gone are the days where you could rent a game for a few weeks from LoveFilm. From now we're going to be over the barrel, being forced to pay for a 'license' that will allow us to play a previously loved game. 'License' on these terms is a euphemism for 'fine'....the price paid for not buying the game from new.
I don't care about Blu Ray, Kinect, TV streaming, NFL games and Skype calls via the console. I already own the gizmos that allow me to do all of those things, besides the Kinect...which like NFL, really isn't for me. Xbox has gone the way of the mobile phone in that's it's trying way too hard to be a digital Swiss Army knife.
The games at launch are continuations of the franchises from this console generation, with Assassin's Creed 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Forza 5 and more FIFA nonsense. I've been playing those games for the last 7 years. I want my next gen console to give me new experiences, not just some shinier experiences that I've already had.
The lack of backwards compatibility is also a sin. As is the thought of a Halo based TV show produced by Spielberg. Have you seen 'Terra Nova' and 'Falling Skies'? Exactly.
Never trust a dog to watch your food.
lawsond28 33

Postby AnonX1 » 22 May 2013, 13:47

I think what this article is suggesting is that the game licence is locked to your profile not the box/disc combo, so that if the one game disc were to be installed on another machine you would have to log in as your profile you registered the game with.
Whilst I understand why people are upset about their freinds not being able to play the game, even if they have the disc, you can understand why Microsoft have done this, I myself have lent games to friends who really wanted to play said game, this is revenue that the developers and publishers will not recieve, and a sale they are unlikely to then make as their audience has already expereince the game and may therefore not need to purchase it.
As for the rental shops not being able to offer Xbox One games you have to ask why would Microsoft care? They can and almost certainly will have their own online offering and makes perfect sense as a business revenue stream.
Overall I'm slightly disappointed that the focus is towards a general entertainment system, the need for MS to future proof the console does however make sense and broadens the appeal (this is why the console looks so restrained in it's design as it will likely feature in living rooms more than bedrooms), but at the same time puts them in competition with other manufacturers.
AnonX1 1

Postby squirrelofDoom » 22 May 2013, 13:59

The only positive I can see with this is digital downloads. If I purchase a AAA title like COD on my X1(lower the price first though!), I can't obviously share it physically. If I go round a friends house I can log in and download it onto theirs (you would need a superfast connection really) with all the DLC and save games, and we can play multiplayer or whatever. When I leave then it then gives the option for my friend to buy it, or delete. This could work with Arcade, free to play etc.
I've seen quite a few developers come out and say digital is the way to go, and whoever embraces it will win the next gen. Personally, It's to soon for this kind of thing and like I posted before it should be like the 360 with this digital option.
With the rise of Steam, origin and the excessive use of "Cloud" in Microsoft and Sony reveals, it does look like this is the way things are going.
squirrelofDoom 26

Next