to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Gamestop: Xbox One's lack of backwards compat makes trade-in

Your comments on our articles.

"Trade-ins allow for a seamless transition."

GameStop president Tony Bartel has declared that his company expects pre-owned on the next generation Xbox to work out pretty much as it has on Xbox 360, following confused reports from Microsoft's Xbox One reveal event last night.... read more

Gamestop: Xbox One's lack of backwards compat makes trade-in

Postby schwepterbrowser » 22 May 2013, 13:23

I'm already trading my 360 games in towards whatever console I may choose. Got £60+ so far and shelves of games remain.
schwepterbrowser 54

Re: Gamestop: Xbox One's lack of backwards compat makes trad

Postby TinnoUnited » 22 May 2013, 13:40

It'll be interesting to see how quickly the price you get for games goes down. Does anyone know how they price the games? Is it priced on individual titles, or is it based on how many people are trading it it/how many copies they already have or something similar?
TinnoUnited 29

Postby CunningSmile » 22 May 2013, 13:45

TinnoUnited wrote:It'll be interesting to see how quickly the price you get for games goes down. Does anyone know how they price the games? Is it priced on individual titles, or is it based on how many people are trading it it/how many copies they already have or something similar?

With Game I'm pretty sure they pluck a price out their arses and then add a tenner judging by the cost of most of their used games (seriously, it's normally cheaper to buy new) I think CEX base it on nationwide popularity, so a game that's hard to get offers more in trade and costs more to buy but a game they aren't shifting (FIFA from three years ago for example) will be dirt cheap to buy and the person trading it in will get about 50p.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby schwepterbrowser » 22 May 2013, 13:46

I think it's based on their stock of each individual game and how many they shift. If they already have a stack of, lets say, Aliens: Colonial Marines and they aren't shifting them because nobody wants them, you're going to get a pittance for it.
schwepterbrowser 54

Postby TinnoUnited » 22 May 2013, 14:02

CunningSmile wrote:
TinnoUnited wrote:It'll be interesting to see how quickly the price you get for games goes down. Does anyone know how they price the games? Is it priced on individual titles, or is it based on how many people are trading it it/how many copies they already have or something similar?

With Game I'm pretty sure they pluck a price out their arses and then add a tenner judging by the cost of most of their used games (seriously, it's normally cheaper to buy new)

:lol: So true
TinnoUnited 29

Postby squirrelofDoom » 22 May 2013, 14:32

A few years back at GAME, I was told I couldn't trade in something because they had too many in stock. I'm not sure if this still applies, but I would start rushing those unused games in soon, otherwise you could have some fancy glass mats later on.
squirrelofDoom 24

Postby scham81 » 23 May 2013, 10:50

schwepterbrowser wrote:I'm already trading my 360 games in towards whatever console I may choose. Got £60+ so far and shelves of games remain.

I'd trade what games you can now so that you get the maximum for them and get the money put on a gift card. Also if you have the game app id scan your games on that first because it gives you a date with the price, if you trade in before that date the have to honour the app price not their random one.
scham81 31

Postby ezeejay » 23 May 2013, 16:46

What i really want to know is, will new games stop coming out on xbox360 when xboxone is released.
Microsoft did it when 360 came out in order 2 force people 2 upgrade
ezeejay 7