to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Ryse confirmed as Xbox One exclusive - "controller-based gam

Your comments on our articles.

Ancient Roman countdown clock appears on Crytek's website

Crytek has reannounced Ryse as an Xbox One exclusive, confirming widely disseminated rumours that the game would skip its intended Xbox 360 release. A countdown clock on the developer's site suggests that you "fight as a soldier", "lead as a general" and "rise as a legend". The clock's in Roman numerals, incidentally. Anybody here take GCSE Latin?... read more

Postby msbhvn » 22 May 2013, 14:05

Didn't do Latin at school, I did French and German. You know, languages that people still speak. :wink:

Google Translate says Filius Romae Venit means "son came to Rome".
Massively Multiplatform since ever, fanboys!
msbhvn 69

Re: Ryse confirmed as Xbox One exclusive - "controller-based

Postby OXM ETboy » 22 May 2013, 14:08

Bet you anything the Romans speak Cockney English in-game, not Latin.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby squirrelofDoom » 22 May 2013, 14:10

If my mind serves me, it blacks out sometimes, the guy explaining the controller said you can move the controller to throw up a shield. A roman shield maybe?
Kinect+controller games intrigue me much more than Kinect only, especially with driving or flying games where you could use it almost like a steering wheel. Also if Kinect can read your heartbeat, then the possibility of a horror game that responds to your state could be terrifying.
squirrelofDoom 26

Postby CunningSmile » 22 May 2013, 14:13

Interesting that this has now become a hybrid, even with the new all singing all dancing Kinect, as this was one that MS originally held up as the Kinect game for the hardcore. Guess yet another developer has failed to work out basic movement without making it either on rails or controlled with a pad.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Plamsa wing » 22 May 2013, 14:13

Oh look a game! :roll:

Controller, supported by Kinect you say? I hopeing they'd go for Kinect support instead of full Kinect. Hopefully it'll end up being good though.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 56

Postby FishyGinger » 22 May 2013, 14:27

msbhvn wrote:Didn't do Latin at school, I did French and German. You know, languages that people still speak. :wink:

Google Translate says Filius Romae Venit means "son came to Rome".

People don't speak german though. When england beat them at that game of worldywar the anglo-german surrenderisation rules meant they had to speak english. So my gcse in Latin is more useful. Ecce Romani was also a very good read. That Sextus was a sinister one though.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby msbhvn » 22 May 2013, 15:27

ROMANI ITE DOMUM! Now copy that one hundred times! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8
Massively Multiplatform since ever, fanboys!
msbhvn 69

Postby CunningSmile » 22 May 2013, 15:37

msbhvn wrote:ROMANI ITE DOMUM! Now copy that one hundred times! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8

Made me chuckle when I found that written all over a canyon wall in Fallout New Vegas
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Grovyle » 22 May 2013, 21:03

Okay I actually do Latin GCSE, I had my translation paper today strangely enough... The slogan means 'The son of Rome comes', because venit has the -it at the end the person doing it is he/she/it and since filius is son it will be he. Romae has an -ae ending and it's a first declension noun so it could be either genitive, locative and dative. So it could translate as 'of Rome' (genitive) 'to Rome' (dative) or 'in/on/at/by Rome' (locative). Yeah, so basically, The son of Rome comes. This game looks good sorry to bore you with the grammar, it had to be said though.
Gamertag: grovylethethief

Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon, ye who enter here.”
Grovyle 27

Postby CunningSmile » 23 May 2013, 09:59

Grovyle wrote:Okay I actually do Latin GCSE, I had my translation paper today strangely enough... The slogan means 'The son of Rome comes', because venit has the -it at the end the person doing it is he/she/it and since filius is son it will be he. Romae has an -ae ending and it's a first declension noun so it could be either genitive, locative and dative. So it could translate as 'of Rome' (genitive) 'to Rome' (dative) or 'in/on/at/by Rome' (locative). Yeah, so basically, The son of Rome comes. This game looks good sorry to bore you with the grammar, it had to be said though.

Don't apologise, you've done a much better job than we managed with Google translate (and my Latin GCSE was 20 years ago)

It's not even the strangest post we've ever had on here.
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Sandbwoy » 23 May 2013, 10:15

I never got round to buying Kinect so I'm looking forward to playing around with it next gen. In particular, I'm looking forward to Ryse and UFC.
Sandbwoy 24

Postby CunningSmile » 23 May 2013, 10:18

Sandbwoy wrote:I never got round to buying Kinect so I'm looking forward to playing around with it next gen. In particular, I'm looking forward to Ryse and UFC.

You didn't miss much. Kinect 1.0 was so stripped back to keep costs down that it barely worked unless you lived in an empty warehouse with perfect lighting, and apart from a few clever voice commands on Mass Effect and Skyrim it was Wii Ware all the way. Kinect 2.0 looks much more promising, and the fact it comes with every Gertrude gives developers more reason to include it in their design and be smart with how to use it.
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby vadersmyfather » 23 May 2013, 10:29

CunningSmile wrote:You didn't miss much. Kinect 1.0 was so stripped back to keep costs down that it barely worked unless you lived in an empty warehouse with perfect lighting, and apart from a few clever voice commands on Mass Effect and Skyrim it was Wii Ware all the way. Kinect 2.0 looks much more promising, and the fact it comes with every Gertrude gives developers more reason to include it in their design and be smart with how to use it.

Space was/is a big issue for me. My living room isn't small by any means but I do own furniture and do not wish to rearrange it every time I turn the XBO on.

Also, I'm pretty lazy and in all honesty too fat to be leaping around the room in front of the window while shouting at the screen.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 47

Postby Grummy » 23 May 2013, 14:29

Grovyle wrote:Okay I actually do Latin GCSE, I had my translation paper today strangely enough... The slogan means 'The son of Rome comes', because venit has the -it at the end the person doing it is he/she/it and since filius is son it will be he. Romae has an -ae ending and it's a first declension noun so it could be either genitive, locative and dative. So it could translate as 'of Rome' (genitive) 'to Rome' (dative) or 'in/on/at/by Rome' (locative). Yeah, so basically, The son of Rome comes. This game looks good sorry to bore you with the grammar, it had to be said though.

No need to apologise dude, you get points for a great explanation. Keep this up and you'll be gladly welcomed into the family. Because, y'know, that's totally what you really want. Take a stop by the forums and get involved some time.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby j85360 » 26 May 2013, 13:33

OXM ETboy wrote:Bet you anything the Romans speak Cockney English in-game, not Latin.

No they will all have a mixture, good romans cockney, and bad romans evil alan rickman accents
j85360 3

Next