to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One specs are about "agility and brains", not "brute fo

Your comments on our articles.

New console is "very simple and elegant in its architecture"

Microsoft has designed the Xbox One hardware not with a view to eclipsing all known technical specifications, but to be flexible and "elegant", Microsoft hardware group general manager Leo Del Castillo has told OXM. This contrasts dramatically to the company's approach in the past, which has been more about muscle.... read more

Xbox One specs are about "agility and brains", not "brute fo

Postby mrcheesecake » 22 May 2013, 15:44

x68 architecture? That's a new one :lol:
mrcheesecake 17

Re: Xbox One specs are about "agility and brains", not "brut

Postby OXM ETboy » 22 May 2013, 15:47

It's been a long day and I'm VERY TIRED.

/edits
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 22 May 2013, 15:53

Give him a break, as far as I can make out Edwin and Co have been working for about 36 hours straight and operating mostly on coffee and adrenaline.

We really appreciate it BTW
Last edited by CunningSmile on 22 May 2013, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Grummy » 22 May 2013, 16:00

Did you guys even go home last night?

I think the tech is interesting, especially this idea of making it more malleable for developers. It's the one thing above all that caught my interest from the cloud thing last night. So many servers, plus this very dev friendly set up has the potential to allow developers to do more than the same tech structured more rigidly would allow. This is very very intriguing.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby CunningSmile » 22 May 2013, 16:04

Grummy wrote:Did you guys even go home last night?

I think the tech is interesting, especially this idea of making it more malleable for developers. It's the one thing above all that caught my interest from the cloud thing last night. So many servers, plus this very dev friendly set up has the potential to allow developers to do more than the same tech structured more rigidly would allow. This is very very intriguing.

Agreed. For all the doom mongers (yourself included to an extent) complaining that there wasn't enough games focus last night MS definately seem to have designed a console that allows developers to produce games easily, and that's what really gave the 360 an edge over the PS4 for so long. The media stuff is just icing on a cake if the X1 proves to be a console that devs want to programme on.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 22 May 2013, 16:22

Don't worry chaps, it was taken in good spirit ;)

And I did manage to go home last night. Worked till 3 in the morning getting our Xbox One mega-guide done on Monday, though.

/pause for applause
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Metalrodent » 22 May 2013, 16:24

OXM ETboy wrote:/pause for applause

na just kidding, good work - you probably need a rest now, lord knows you deserve it
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Plamsa wing » 22 May 2013, 16:27

OXM ETboy wrote:And I did manage to go home last night. Worked till 3 in the morning getting our Xbox One mega-guide done on Monday, though.

/pause for applause

I can imagine someone standing behind you with whip in hand, "Work peasant, work." "There shall be no sleep for you!"
I've bitten off more than I can choux.
Plamsa wing 56

Postby OXM ETboy » 22 May 2013, 17:06

Thanks for the nice comments all.

Jonty was away at the event yesterday, so I had to whip myself. That and loads of paracetamol are the secret to productivity.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Grummy » 22 May 2013, 18:02

CunningSmile wrote:
Grummy wrote:Did you guys even go home last night?

Agreed. For all the doom mongers (yourself included to an extent) complaining that there wasn't enough games focus last night MS definately seem to have designed a console that allows developers to produce games easily, and that's what really gave the 360 an edge over the PS4 for so long. The media stuff is just icing on a cake if the X1 proves to be a console that devs want to programme on.

I'd like to point out that I participated in no doom mongering whatsoever. I just lamented about how disastrous an event it was.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby SeanSMEGHEAD » 22 May 2013, 20:02

Hardware that has ''agility and brains'' lmao what??? that's just a silly way of saying it isn't as powerful as it could be to fool stupid people. If I had a crappy PC but I told my mates the hardware is very agile and smart I would expect a punch in the mouth.
SeanSMEGHEAD 35

Postby PonderingWalrus » 22 May 2013, 21:30

SeanSMEGHEAD wrote:Hardware that has ''agility and brains'' lmao what??? that's just a silly way of saying it isn't as powerful as it could be to fool stupid people. If I had a crappy PC but I told my mates the hardware is very agile and smart I would expect a punch in the mouth.

You are completely missing the point. The Xbox One is designed to use all the power it has effectively, rather than them just stuffing it with top-end, space-magic powered parts (which would up the price considerably) and not putting all that power to good use.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby SeanSMEGHEAD » 22 May 2013, 21:49

PonderingWalrus wrote:
SeanSMEGHEAD wrote:Hardware that has ''agility and brains'' lmao what??? that's just a silly way of saying it isn't as powerful as it could be to fool stupid people. If I had a crappy PC but I told my mates the hardware is very agile and smart I would expect a punch in the mouth.

You are completely missing the point. The Xbox One is designed to use all the power it has effectively, rather than them just stuffing it with top-end, space-magic powered parts (which would up the price considerably) and not putting all that power to good use.

Would be a valid point if we knew how much the Xbox one cost and how much it's premium services cost...
As far as putting power to good use - well that's relative to what people want out of the machine.
SeanSMEGHEAD 35

Postby CunningSmile » 23 May 2013, 09:57

On paper the PS3 was more powerful than the 360, but very few developers ever figured out how to use it properly and the majority of cross platform titles run better on the 360 (Skyrim being the most high profile example)
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby SidTheSloth » 23 May 2013, 10:04

CunningSmile wrote:

On paper the PS3 was more powerful than the 360, but very few developers ever figured out how to use it properly and the majority of cross platform titles run better on the 360 (Skyrim being the most high profile example)

On paper at least it looks like there's a bigger difference this time however, and as they share principally the same hardware there shouldn't be as much of a problem extracting the performance. How much of a difference it makes in the games themselves is open to debate, my guess is not a great deal. The MS cloud thingy though, now that really does have some potential to more than make up for any shortfall.

I'd actually prefer if performance wise they were further apart anyway, would save the majority of the games being ports, encourage diversity (hopefully) and give me more than a handful of exclusives as a reason to own both machines!
Last edited by SidTheSloth on 23 May 2013, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Next