to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft tackles core misgivings: "do you really want an Xb

Your comments on our articles.

Don Mattrick defends broader entertainment offering

Speaking to OXM a few weeks prior to last night's Xbox One reveal event, Microsoft's Don Mattrick has delivered a spirited defence of the company's decision to promote broad entertainment consumption alongside videogames, insisting that Xbox One will be an "amazing core games box".... read more

Postby zacho 666 » 22 May 2013, 16:40

Yeah one question: "WHERE WAS NHL EA?" :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
CANADA BABY!
zacho 666 25

Re: Microsoft tackles core misgivings: "do you really want a

Postby MrT666 » 22 May 2013, 16:52

Microsoft..... " Do you really want a console that plays games?"
MrT666 18

Postby SeanSMEGHEAD » 22 May 2013, 16:56

So they knew a few weeks before the reveal that it wouldn't go down well to some people.
Well at least that's something.....
That first quoted paragraph was just a load of silly babble, I don't think people want Microsoft to pull a miracle
out of the bag for a start, the concern is it seem to be a games console second and a super dupper media hub internet machine first..

Again second quoted paragraph is the same silly arrogant anti consumer rubbish, of course a core games console could still connect to this ''community'' he speaks of
''I kind of think of myself as a core gamer'' oh please, goes on to explain hes spent a brief 25 years at EA which explains this annoying arrogant trend to attack the consumers who don't lap this stuff up without criticism

''I have a hard time over-indexing on the point you're trying to debate'' well firstly thank you to the journalist Jon Hicks for bringing up these points at OXM, its really scary since from the tone of what he says is that he is not used to journalists asking him questions that challenge his view on how people should accept what Microsoft puts on the table.

Yes we want more value for our money (of which no mention of how much wonga this or the number of premium services the xbox one will cost) but the overall concern is about what it is at its core, he has gone in to this 'debate' as he puts it, clearly trying to either reassure or affirm that it provides an ''amazing core games box'' and he does that by defending why its a internet-media hub????
SeanSMEGHEAD 35

Postby Currambo » 22 May 2013, 16:58

Have to link to this Kinect 2.0 tech demo. Never been that impressed by kinect, but just the example of auto sign in and multi-person tracking is very cool. Can definitely see they've ironed out some of the kinks!
WHY DIDN'T they show this at the conference?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi5kMNfgDS4
Currambo 54

Postby vadersmyfather » 22 May 2013, 17:00

SeanSMEGHEAD wrote:So they knew a few weeks before the reveal that it wouldn't go down well to some people.

Whatever they did it wouldn't go down well with some people.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 48

Postby SeanSMEGHEAD » 22 May 2013, 17:10

vadersmyfather wrote:
SeanSMEGHEAD wrote:So they knew a few weeks before the reveal that it wouldn't go down well to some people.

Whatever they did it wouldn't go down well with some people.

Hmm, going on any internet page open to discussion from readers shows a mostly negative response. I know it might be in trend to hate Microsoft as it is to hate CoD, but there are a few main concerns out of the internet storm that people are up in arms about.

Anyway, same could of been said about the PS4 reveal, it couldn't please everyone but this really is a different response entirely.
SeanSMEGHEAD 35

Postby vadersmyfather » 22 May 2013, 17:16

SeanSMEGHEAD wrote:Hmm, going on any internet page open to discussion from readers shows a mostly negative response. I know it might be in trend to hate Microsoft as it is to hate CoD, but there are a few main concerns out of the internet storm that people are up in arms about.

Anyway, same could of been said about the PS4 reveal, it couldn't please everyone but this really is a different response entirely.

I think the problem is that MS focused (as expected) on what they hope will be the general experience of XBO, which obviously included features that people are interested in to varying degrees.

When you look at it I think MS are in a good position in that they have a machine which seemingly offers as much power as the PS4 but - as far as we know so far - a wider array of other features too.

MS isn't saying XBO isn't a core gamer console, they are saying they're a core gamer console and this, this and this...
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 48

Postby SeanSMEGHEAD » 22 May 2013, 17:27

vadersmyfather wrote:
SeanSMEGHEAD wrote:Hmm, going on any internet page open to discussion from readers shows a mostly negative response. I know it might be in trend to hate Microsoft as it is to hate CoD, but there are a few main concerns out of the internet storm that people are up in arms about.

I think the problem is that MS focused (as expected) on what they hope will be the general experience of XBO, which obviously included features that people are interested in to varying degrees.

When you look at it I think MS are in a good position in that they have a machine which seemingly offers as much power as the PS4 but - as far as we know so far - a wider array of other features too.

MS isn't saying XBO isn't a core gamer console, they are saying they're a core gamer console and this, this and this...

Yeah I hope you're correct.
Microsoft need to clearly address and affirm some points. Lots of mixed messages including how much of the machines power will be able to be utilized for games and not all the apps, operating systems and what the engineering team had in mind in terms of power and its utilization.

They also need to do this in a way that doesn't alienate the people who have criticisms.
SeanSMEGHEAD 35

Postby harkking » 22 May 2013, 17:43

What a moron ....misgivings!!!! The console looks like an old SNES on steroids....and while everyone was waiting to hear about GAMES what did we get , a load of crap about american football ...that will really help sell it in Japan and Europe....And when GAMES were mentioned.....well theres Forza 5 as an exclusive and thats it really...I just can't see what all the fuss is with the bloody Kinect...I don't want to be talking to my console and waving my arms around to change the channel, I can push 1 button on my remote and as if by magic the channel is changed...I never have lost my remote control Ever...what man has ???..Surely the new xbox should all be about great GAMES with all the other stuff as a bonus...I for one will not be getting it until I see some real exclusives ...very very very disappointed !!!!!
harkking 35

Postby msbhvn » 22 May 2013, 17:54

The thing I really want to know about Kinect 2.0 is: what happens when you do jazz hands? :lol:
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby SLBruinScotty » 22 May 2013, 17:58

This is a ludicrous question, the xbo doesn't need to ignore the web, but it shouldn't be dependant on it either, i have a computer for the internet, i have a tv to watch tv and a remote control that i'm perfectly well versed in using to change channels, i have an iphone for music and communication, my xbox doesn't need to do all these things, it needs to PLAY MY GAMES! And occasionally dvds, i've spent money setting up all my other media, why would i cast all that aside for something i only want for a singular purpose?
SLBruinScotty 9

Postby HadoukenMorris » 22 May 2013, 18:43

Microsoft: ''Do you really want an Xbox that ignores the web?'' Yes, yes I do. Next question.
HadoukenMorris 34

Postby Th3 Katman » 22 May 2013, 18:57

Why didn't anyone use the controller to showcase real games actually being played. It is a games console first and foremost i was led to believe, now i think its just a multimedia box with games as an addition.
Th3 Katman 29

Postby voodoo1102 » 22 May 2013, 19:04

I tried using Internet Explorer on my Xbox for the first time last week, simply because my phone was on the other side of the room and I wanted to check a film's cast list on IMDB. It took me 3 times as long to enter the search text using the controller, and it promptly crashed back to the dashboard soon as I hit enter. Not impressed.

Ignoring the new casing, which looks like the bastard offspring of a freeview box and a Wii, there were really only two things in the reveal that interested me. 1) The new Xbox has a blu-ray player at last, allowing for higher capacity discs just in time to watch the death of physical media and 2) Forza 5 was announced. I want a games console. I couldn't care less about the Media Hub stuff - I already have devices that fulfill all necessary tasks, without having one machine try to do them all in a half-arsed fashion.

I await E3 to see what games are actually planned, but if Microsoft insist on fixing what isn't broken, they're gonna start losing ground to companies who aren't afraid of making a games console that - and I realize this might be shocking - JUST PLAYS GAMES. The horror, I know. Someone at Microsoft really needs to learn, quickly, that the jack of all trades is the master of none.
voodoo1102 36

Postby Sonic Brew Dan » 22 May 2013, 19:46

A one-of-a-kind architecture.

Xbox One was built by gamers, for gamers. The perfect balance of power and
performance, Xbox One takes gaming to a whole new level. Stunning realism.
Advanced AI that adapts to the way you play. And a new generation of multiplayer
that is both smarter and faster. Xbox One is simply the best gaming console
we’ve ever made.

Xbox One was designed to be the most advanced gaming console ever, and the best entertainment console. To make that possible, we did something unprecedented. For the first time ever, we created a state-of-the-art gaming OS and fused it together with a powerful Windows OS. So you get the best of both worlds, without compromise. Forget about having to switch inputs to watch TV or play a game. Now you can run a host of apps right alongside your game without any loss of performance.

Straight from the xbox website, there's a tonne of money to be made in the gaming industry and who loves money more than microsoft :mrgreen: , all the hardcore gamers myself included need not panic about xbox one being less of a games console than the 360, it may not have been the perfect pitch to generate hysteria among the gaming masses but don't forget it was a reveal of the hardware not the games so writing it off before E3 is just crazy! xbox one is just going to be more bang for your buck in my opinion!
Sonic Brew Dan 25

Next