Xbox One pre-owned policy is "still being finalised", will w

Your comments on our articles.

"We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One."

In what's rapidly becoming one of the most notorious cases of muddled messaging of the past few years, Microsoft's Major Nelson has issued yet another statement as regards Xbox One's handling of pre-owned games, saying that nothing has been locked down for the moment.... read more

Postby Cokney Charmer » 23 May 2013, 10:22

Really getting bored of this "take a game to a friend's house" analogy MS people keep using to show that it isnt all bad as a pre-owned model.

Yes, today I can take a physical copy of the game to a friends house and we can play it and when I go home I would obviously take my game with me. But what if my friend likes the game and wants to try it out a bit more on his/her own whilst I am at work or playing something else or just too busy to game at all, why cant I share a great gaming experience with that friend. Its my game, I bought it and I want to let a friend share in that game

The simple fact is this, on Xbox One, if you buy a game, only YOU get full access to it. If you go to a friends house with your Xbox ONE game, you are sharing YOUR access with a friend, thats all. You are basically demoing the game on behalf of MX and the games publisher to your friends like a sales rep..and when its time to go, your friend will have to complete the deal by buying the game his/herself to carry on enjoying it

What makes gaming great is us gamers sharing our experiences with other gamers...that meant if a friend couldnt afford to play a game but wanted to, and I had it, I could let them enjoy the game I bought the way they would like to. Now I cant do that without giving them my account. I can lend a friend a DVD/Bluray or a book etc but now I cant with games?

Xbox ONE, the one stop entertainment centre for the whole family to enjoy when its streaming media..but when it comes to games...oh no, one person at a time please
Twitter = @CockneyCharmer
Cokney Charmer 22

Postby fracturedrich » 23 May 2013, 10:25

Well its not the same on the xbox is it,i borrow to and from my friend all the time and we play on our own profile unless it is just multiplayer your on about.What are you on about by the way?
fracturedrich 48

Re: Xbox One pre-owned policy is "still being finalised", wi

Postby OXM ETboy » 23 May 2013, 10:27

It's possible this is just the usual "disc must be in drive" stuff from PC, you know. You can share the game with a friend, but when you do you won't be able to play the installed files on your own Xbox One.

MS needs to work out what they're doing sharpish, because partial answers just foment more speculation.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 23 May 2013, 10:29

Cokney Charmer wrote: I can lend a friend a DVD/Bluray or a book etc...

Technically you can't. Check out the full legal disclaimer on the end of a DVD some time. Lending is expressly stated as being against the rules.
A Tweet is like an episode of Game of Thrones; there are 140 characters and something awful usually happens
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby Droidsbane » 23 May 2013, 10:29

Like a wise Youtuber said "guess were no longer their target demographic..."
Droidsbane 33

Postby battfink83 » 23 May 2013, 10:35

i like the way they keep saying there's 'confusion'... there's not, not at all. those of us with children who like to play our games in their bedrooms cant..... nothing confusing about that..... nonsense
battfink83 54

Postby techn0t0ne » 23 May 2013, 10:40

Indeed.

Technically the unauthorised distribution (this includes loaning) of any kind of personal purchased digital media is illegal anyway.

:|
techn0t0ne 17

Postby SidTheSloth » 23 May 2013, 10:40

OXM ETboy wrote:MS needs to work out what they're doing sharpish, because partial answers just foment more speculation.

I agree, it's just damage limitation right now, but they seem not to even grasp that concept and it's like they can't stop digging the hole? Every statement to 'clarify' is still made using broad strokes and is as vague as can be. If the policy hasn't been decided why on earth did they even bring it up? No-ones berating Sony for anything like this and it's entirely possible they're doing something similar - they wisely kept schtum though and are now reaping the PR benefits. Sure in a few months this'll all be forgotten, but they haven't half dropped the ball right now - although conspiracy theorists (i love how they're always on hand at times like these!) suggest it was done on purpose to gauge public reaction as to how far to go with pre-owned stuff etc. Somehow if this is true i think they have a clear response...

NB: Still looking forward to some proper OXM opinion/feedback on the reveal etc. Thought the vid was very good for pointing out some of the potential, especially for the cloud etc. but surely there's some good 'feature fodder' in comparing how the battle lines have been drawn etc? Erm, now it feels like i'm telling you all how to do your job - which certainly wasn't the intention so i'll leave it at that...!? :?
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Cokney Charmer » 23 May 2013, 10:52

CunningSmile wrote:
Technically you can't. Check out the full legal disclaimer on the end of a DVD some time. Lending is expressly stated as being against the rules.

Gee, you are a bundle of fun to be around aren't you 8)

Yes point taken, but physically you can and we all do it and without being Mr Jobsworth about it, my point stands
Cokney Charmer 22

Postby SidTheSloth » 23 May 2013, 10:53

Cokney Charmer wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:

Gee, you are a bundle of fun to be around aren't you 8)

Yes point taken, but physically you can and we all do it and without being Mr Jobsworth about it, my point stands

He's an accountant, by nature they have to be sticklers for understanding the rules (how else do you get around them?) or in essence, they're not very good accountants! :wink:
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Cokney Charmer » 23 May 2013, 10:57

OXM ETboy wrote:It's possible this is just the usual "disc must be in drive" stuff from PC, you know. You can share the game with a friend, but when you do you won't be able to play the installed files on your own Xbox One.

MS needs to work out what they're doing sharpish, because partial answers just foment more speculation.

But they have already said, all Game content must be installed to Xbox One's HDD....wont need the disc after installation, just that content needs to be "activated" for the account that wants to use it.

I think what needs to be cleared up is the pricing of this "Activation" on pre-owned titles as well as how that trading is done..online via Xbox LIVE via retailer App or direct in store with retailers etc
Cokney Charmer 22

Postby OXM ETboy » 23 May 2013, 11:07

But they have already said, all Game content must be installed to Xbox One's HDD....wont need the disc after installation, just that content needs to be "activated" for the account that wants to use it.

I'm not sure they've said you won't need the disc once you install - throw me a link?

Look, if the strategy works out as I think it's going to work, this is just a way of making sure two or more people aren't able to install and play the same game simultaneously. Also known as: avoiding piracy.

The "pre-owned fee" stuff, on the other hand, is bonkers. Hope that's bogus, or at the very least a policy they've junked following the uproar...

Sid - Jonty wants to do the first reaction piece but he's on a bloomin' plane. I'll get back to you.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby SidTheSloth » 23 May 2013, 11:15

Cheers Ed... Hardly seems much point in him coming home though with E3 so close? Surprised that isn't what he was claiming anyway! :wink:
SidTheSloth 54

Postby CunningSmile » 23 May 2013, 11:16

SidTheSloth wrote:
Cokney Charmer wrote:Gee, you are a bundle of fun to be around aren't you 8)

He's an accountant, by nature they have to be sticklers for understanding the rules (how else do you get around them?) or in essence, they're not very good accountants! :wink:

Cheers Sid, always nice to be appreciated :lol:

I've still got the feeling that after all these tooing and froing by the time of launch this will have either been removed and the party line will be "No idea what you're talking about, we never said that," or the discs will ship just like MS Office with 4 or 5 licenses attached before you need to start paying the fee.
A Tweet is like an episode of Game of Thrones; there are 140 characters and something awful usually happens
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby Cokney Charmer » 23 May 2013, 11:42

OXM ETboy wrote:
I'm not sure they've said you won't need the disc once you install - throw me a link?

Look, if the strategy works out as I think it's going to work, this is just a way of making sure two or more people aren't able to install and play the same game simultaneously. Also known as: avoiding piracy.

The "pre-owned fee" stuff, on the other hand, is bonkers. Hope that's bogus, or at the very least a policy they've junked following the uproar...

Sid - Jonty wants to do the first reaction piece but he's on a bloomin' plane. I'll get back to you.

Read a few articles on this but this is the first - http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/43523 ... e-installs

You install the game, activate it on your account via online connection and then thats it. Your account will allow you to play the game without the disc as the security check is based on your account having the rights to play that game via activation check. The taking it to your friends house just means installing it so the content is on the console you will use and your account will allow you to use it

Thats my understanding of it
Cokney Charmer 22

Next