Microsoft: "we're committed to Japan" with Xbox One

Your comments on our articles.

"We'll continue building on our investment," says Mattrick

Xbox 360 may have struggled to hit the bigtime in Japan, but Microsoft won't take the opportunity to retreat and focus on other territories with Xbox One.... read more

Microsoft: "we're committed to Japan" with Xbox One

Postby squirrelofDoom » 23 May 2013, 13:08

Japanese are fiercely loyal to Sony, so it doesn't matter what Microsoft does. The same way Americans are extremely patriotic and will buy anything with an American flag stamped across it, so the Xbox will sell big.
squirrelofDoom 26

Re: Microsoft:

Postby CunningSmile » 23 May 2013, 14:04

The main problem the X1 will have in Japan is the main problem the 360 had.

As Squirrel said the Japanese are fiercely loyal to their own products (and why not?) but there's also the fact that Americans just don't understand any culture other than their own, and Japan has a VERY different culture.

Examples? Americans tend to like games that are accessible and straight forward like CoD. The Japanese don't feel like they've done something unless they've had to work at it, which is why their most popular games are 140 hours of RPG grind.

American's like their heroes to be square jawed and thick necked rebels fighting for personal glory, hence Gears of War. The Japanese believe the nail that stands out should be hammered down, hence the host of JRPG characters fighting for their community, normally in largish groups.

American's like to game at home hence the 360, the Japanese like to game in local cafe's and whilst they commute hence the 3DS.

The Americans have really big living rooms, hence the Kinect. The Japanese don't hence the Kinect guideance strip that was twice as long as the average Japanese living room.

Until MS realise that just because something works in the States doesn't mean that it'll work internationally they'll never crack Japan.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby msbhvn » 23 May 2013, 14:18

CunningSmile wrote:Until MS realise that just because something works in the States doesn't mean that it'll work internationally they'll never crack Japan.

Yeah, I was a bit annoyed about the whole NFL thing during the reveal. They obviously don't realise that nobody else likes their stupid "rugby in riot gear" game that they stole the name of a better game for. :lol:
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby SilentDark » 23 May 2013, 14:27

You know this is funny because the Xbox One reveal was so geared towards a US audience I seriously question why it was even broadcast worldwide. Sure we'd have all found out about it anyway but seriously, nothing about it seemed to be geared towards Japan or Europe at all. The game reveals were hardly groundbreaking. New EA sports titles, well that was a given, new CoD, again a given, and lets face it while there might be "exclusive features" for the X1 these games will be coming to the PS4 regardless of what Sony has in store regarding DRM so not exactly games that are going to shift the system really. As Cunning says America doesn't "get" Japan, nor will they ever. They think having one really good JRPG will shift systems over there? Somehow I don't think so.

msbhvn wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:Until MS realise that just because something works in the States doesn't mean that it'll work internationally they'll never crack Japan.

Yeah, I was a bit annoyed about the whole NFL thing during the reveal. They obviously don't realise that nobody else likes their stupid "rugby in riot gear" game that they stole the name of a better game for. :lol:

Although not a big fan of the rugby myself (which is quite weird considering my, ahem "nationality") I have to say nothing is worse than seeing another nation steal it and make it all namby pamby with padding.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 67

Postby -D-C-D- » 23 May 2013, 19:45

I absolutely couldn't agree more with the above comments. As a British consumer, I couldn't for the life of me understand why or how Microsoft could have expected me to engage with a product which was so blatantly geared at the American market. Showcasing programs like The Price Is Right, and sports franchises such as the NBL and the NFL was, for me, a big mistake. I actually felt FIFA and COD were shoehorned in in a feeble attempt to placate the rest.

"What other things can we show for the rest of the world who maybe don't fully appreciate the greatness of American sports and TV?"

"Umm, FIFA and COD. Everyone plays those!!"

The whole of Europe (who were watching in anticipation) had very little to get on board with, and ultimately I was left feeling excluded from the console I've supported since the original in 2001.

E3 is your last chance for me, Microsoft. I really, really want to get on board, but so far I have literally nothing. Zero.

Not one thing ;)
-D-C-D- 18

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 23 May 2013, 20:36

If a Lost Odyssey Sequel ever gets green lit please don't make it full of annoying kids and a pensioner who still calls his mother 'momma'

Im suspecting that Microsoft may have managed to secure an Xbox One version of Final Fantasy Versus 13 even more now
Johnbhoy69 56

Postby SidTheSloth » 23 May 2013, 21:16

I hope they do commit to a few more J-RPG's again, they're sadly missed from the machine imo - but as mentioned, it'll take more than just that to get them a foot in the door. In my own humble opinion if they want an easy win they should go and batter down capcoms door with an empire state building sized ram made of solid gold and offer it as a 'gift' in return for them bringing out Monster Hunter on the one - if ever there was a game that'd help drive sales over there it's something like that...

Can't see it happening though.
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Drainwater » 24 May 2013, 00:06

Well it may have been geared toward American audiences, but it sure wasn't aimed at my demographic. I couldn't care less about about watching sports or really even TV in general. I just want to play some games...
Drainwater 35

Postby FishyGinger » 24 May 2013, 09:40

SidTheSloth wrote:I hope they do commit to a few more J-RPG's again, they're sadly missed from the machine imo - but as mentioned, it'll take more than just that to get them a foot in the door. In my own humble opinion if they want an easy win they should go and batter down capcoms door with an empire state building sized ram made of solid gold and offer it as a 'gift' in return for them bringing out Monster Hunter on the one - if ever there was a game that'd help drive sales over there it's something like that...

While Monster Hunter seems to be a system seller, Cunning and Squirrel are right, it isn't going to sell regardless as it isn't japanese so there really isn't any point in microsoft trying.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby CunningSmile » 24 May 2013, 09:46

Johnbhoy69 wrote:If a Lost Odyssey Sequel ever gets green lit please don't make it full of annoying kids and a pensioner who still calls his mother 'momma'

'momma' was a bad translation of a Japanese word that doesn't really mean anything in English but is used to respectfully refer to any older lady. The fact he was a pensioner doesn't change the fact she was older and still deserved the title.

And the annoying kids thing is another Japanese cultural thing that westerners will never understand to add to my above list. The Japanese probably wouldn't buy it if it didn't have kids in.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby SidTheSloth » 24 May 2013, 09:50

FishyGinger wrote:
SidTheSloth wrote:I hope they do commit to a few more J-RPG's again, they're sadly missed from the machine imo - but as mentioned, it'll take more than just that to get them a foot in the door. In my own humble opinion if they want an easy win they should go and batter down capcoms door with an empire state building sized ram made of solid gold and offer it as a 'gift' in return for them bringing out Monster Hunter on the one - if ever there was a game that'd help drive sales over there it's something like that...

While Monster Hunter seems to be a system seller, Cunning and Squirrel are right, it isn't going to sell regardless as it isn't japanese so there really isn't any point in microsoft trying.

I don't think it'd ever outsell the Sony/Nintendo machines, but if they made a lot more games that appealed to japanese gamers instead of making 'by the numbers' j-rpgs they could do better than their half arsed attempt with the 360 - their approach with just throwing smacked of arrogance to me so it's no wonder it failed. I don't think they ever expect to be the dominant force there - at least i hope not - but it'll be interesting to see what they do differently this time.

It was interesting that one Lost Odyssey was finished, Mistwalker seemed to get as far away from MS as they could do, doesn't suggest a good working relationship?
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Metalrodent » 24 May 2013, 09:54

Hm, so their conference was squarely aimed at the US market, followed by them declaring themselves "committed to Japan" (a place clearly dominated by Sony and Nintendo) - yet still no mention of the European market.

Nice going MS, nice to know you care about us
People get confused when a sentence doesn't end the way they potato.

Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 24 May 2013, 12:17

CunningSmile wrote:
Johnbhoy69 wrote:If a Lost Odyssey Sequel ever gets green lit please don't make it full of annoying kids and a pensioner who still calls his mother 'momma'

'momma' was a bad translation of a Japanese word that doesn't really mean anything in English but is used to respectfully refer to any older lady. The fact he was a pensioner doesn't change the fact she was older and still deserved the title.

And the annoying kids thing is another Japanese cultural thing that westerners will never understand to add to my above list. The Japanese probably wouldn't buy it if it didn't have kids in.

Time has passed and hopefully Sed has died and the kids have grown up, Problem solved :D
Johnbhoy69 56