to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Need for Speed: Rivals announced for Xbox One - release date

Your comments on our articles.

It's a spiritual sequel to Hot Pursuit, seemingly

EA has announced Need for Speed: Rivals, a current and next generation Frostbite-powered racer from Ghost Games in Gothenberg, which we outed as a Need for Speed developer in February. It will release on 19th November 2013 for current gen platforms, and will hit Xbox One and PS4 later this year.... read more

Need for Speed: Rivals announced for Xbox One - release date

Postby Currambo » 23 May 2013, 15:21

Having great visions of seeing a friend online, playing single player, thinking they're avoiding the police like a pro and I jump in as a cop and ruin their fun!!
Hope that's possible haha.
Currambo 54

Re: Need for Speed: Rivals announced for Xbox One - release

Postby OXM ETboy » 23 May 2013, 15:43

Got mixed feelings myself. I loved Hot Pursuit to bits, but I don't want a carbon copy with bloomin' drop-in multiplayer. Change it up some more, EA.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby PCG The_B » 23 May 2013, 16:14

I think this is going to feel like the "in-between" iteration. Straddling generations while not really doing much in the way of true "new-ness" so to speak. I think the more exciting NFS game will most likely be next years.

Still, I'll reserve some optimism it won't be as much of a disappointment as The Run was.
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 66

Postby CunningSmile » 23 May 2013, 16:26

PCG The_B wrote:I think this is going to feel like the "in-between" iteration. Straddling generations while not really doing much in the way of true "new-ness" so to speak. I think the more exciting NFS game will most likely be next years.

Still, I'll reserve some optimism it won't be as much of a disappointment as The Run was.

Historically that tends to be the problem I've had with most launch titles. The devs don't want to throw away potential sales by ignoring the old console so you're left with titles that are compatible with both generations and so never really showcase what's to come.

As you say wait until next year and we get to start seeing what the X1 can actually do.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Darth Mousemat » 23 May 2013, 16:37

With it being EA don't forget to buy the "Wheels for your car" DLC for 1200MP as well as the game else you won't be able to race!
Darth Mousemat 24

Postby SidTheSloth » 23 May 2013, 19:00

CunningSmile wrote:
PCG The_B wrote:I think this is going to feel like the "in-between" iteration. Straddling generations while not really doing much in the way of true "new-ness" so to speak. I think the more exciting NFS game will most likely be next years.

Historically that tends to be the problem I've had with most launch titles. The devs don't want to throw away potential sales by ignoring the old console so you're left with titles that are compatible with both generations and so never really showcase what's to come.

As you say wait until next year and we get to start seeing what the X1 can actually do.

I'd normally agree with you both here, but for me NFS was the one exception to the rule this current gen, with the original 'Most Wanted' still being my favourite out of all the 360 releases. Think Hot Pursuit had the best racing overall, but as a complete package i don't think they've got near MW since. Maybe it's because as the generation has gone on expectations have gone up and there was also little in the way of quality back then, but i frigging loved MW sooo much, and last years version, whilst a decent-ish game in its own right, just wasn't/isn't a patch on it for me.

Think this one will have its work cut out going up against a fully fledged new Forza though, even though at root i suppose they cater to different audiences. There's room for both of them in my eyes, but i'm some sort of weird obsessive compulsive who thinks games are like pokemon - as in i have to catch them all, not make them fight... :|
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 53