to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Why I'm looking forward to Xbox One

Your comments on our articles.

Step away from the controversy and look at the platform

On Tuesday, Microsoft unveiled Xbox One. In a not-unusual turn of events for console reveals, quite a lot of people don't like it.... read more

Postby KernowDevil23 » 23 May 2013, 19:53

Excellent read Jonty!

Nice to hear a reasoned view on the console and it's future now the dust has settled. Initially, I was leading the chorus calling for all Xbox employees to be publicly flogged but now I've had a few days to digest the information and think about the direction MS are going, I think we can ALL benefit.

The aim is pretty clear. MS want as wider demographic as possible to buy the console, not just "core gamers", which in theory would increase MS's market share by a huge amount. By targeting "just gamers", this audience - however loyal and important- would be greatly reduced.

I'm now looking forward to E3 to see what the games are going to be like but already, I'm thinking that if it's priced right, I'll be picking one up if not on launch day, maybe soon thereafter.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Windowlicker79 » 23 May 2013, 19:58

A great post Jon. Good (and seemingly rare) to hear someone speak positively about the XB1.
I for one am really looking forward to it. I just hope they manage to sort out all this pre-owned business with a solution that everyone is happy with.

A quick question with regards to cloud processing. How much actual data do you think this will use on an average gaming session? I should be OK as I have a very quick connection and no data cap, but for someone who does have to deal with a restriction on the amount they can download it could quickly become a problem if the amount of data being sent and received is quite high.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 54

Re: Why I'm looking forward to Xbox One

Postby Darquess » 23 May 2013, 20:08

Right, so what we should basicly do is just ignore what they say about the added features to the game console like most of us did with the 360 add ons?
Seems like a plan, but it might blow up in our faces if Microsoft has the balls to over run its market feedback, critical feedback and its own developer feedback...

Which, since its working closely with EA, is completly possible...

Ah, it'll probably be fine. They are just announcing the other featuers first to get more casual gamers invested(???)
Darquess 15

Postby hazy33 » 23 May 2013, 20:10

Everyone seems to have focused on the customer destroying 2nd hand games situation.
However this has overshadowed the always on problem. Okay it now has to call home once a day. With the current economic climate as it is and with seemingly invincible companies going to the wall, who's to say MS will still be around in a couple of years? One day after they are gone your One is totally bricked as a games machine.

Is it called the One because it'll take just ONE day to brick?
hazy33 21

Postby KernowDevil23 » 23 May 2013, 20:14

hazy33 wrote:who's to say MS will still be around in a couple of years?

I take it that was a poor attempt at humor/sarcasm? :|
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Cougar BMX » 23 May 2013, 20:17

I really enjoyed reading this, echoes my feelings and then some.
There has been a fair bit of negativity the past couple of days, but whilst id say im not 100% sold (early days is early days, after all), i am very excited from what has been announced, including (gasp) Kinect 2.0

For me, its all about three words "benefit of the doubt".
Lets see what E3 brings

Let me start the ball rolling here...

Everyone seems to have focused on the customer destroying 2nd hand games situation.
However this has overshadowed the always on problem. Okay it now has to call home once a day. With the current economic climate as it is and with seemingly invincible companies going to the wall, who's to say MS will still be around in a couple of years? One day after they are gone your One is totally bricked as a games machine.

And as for the above, and please correct me if im wrong, but i was under the impression nobody had announced that it would be useless without an internet connection, just wouldn't have some of the functionality the connection brings.... something like the Xbox360?
Cougar BMX 35

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 23 May 2013, 20:19

Its still a maybe for me right now. The reveal was lacking the gaming presence I was hoping for but with E3 just weeks away I can understand that. It will take something very impressive to make me actually want the Xbox One but chances are I still wont buy it this year at all due to there being at least 5 Xbox 360 games I'm really looking forward to and also the shocking revelation that money doesn't grow on trees.
Johnbhoy69 51

Postby FishyGinger » 23 May 2013, 20:22

The always on thing has certainly f**ked Valve over, they're hardly making millions.

Good article though, it certainly feels like this was a shout out to the wider market, hopefully E3 will be for the game orientated. Will certainly be interesting to see what Sony do.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Bezza89 » 23 May 2013, 20:24

I want a new fable. And you mentioning Kojima has pricked up my ears, why mention him unless you know something you big tease.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Xbox11 » 23 May 2013, 20:29

Console is a massive let down in all departments accept the pad looks better , The end!
Xbox11 28

Postby b0dd1c3 » 23 May 2013, 20:36

Firstly enjoyable read.

Secondly I think that Microsoft is going in the right direction with Xbox One, I personally think it's future proof and a few years down the line the complaints being brought up recently will be forgotten. I do understand some issues, I live in a largely rural area and internet connection is spotty at best and I tend to struggle getting 1.5, I also know work is being done to improve the local infrastructure so I'm not so worried.

I'm a little concerned over the handling of used games but then again it is speculation at this minute in time. I suppose the new Xbox is being looked at negatively on because of the heavy focus on entertainment when the console is obviously powerful enough to focus on both entertainment and games, E3 should hopefully point this out.
b0dd1c3 38

Postby hazy33 » 23 May 2013, 20:37

KernowDevil23 wrote:
hazy33 wrote:who's to say MS will still be around in a couple of years?

I take it that was a poor attempt at humor/sarcasm? :|

Er... no. Things can change quickly for any company. Top of the world one year, gone the next. Zune was a disaster. Win 8 has driven friends of mine to Apple Macs. Has the 360 paid back it's investment yet?

Don't get me wrong I loved the first Xbox and my 360 but NOTHING is certain.
hazy33 21

Postby hazy33 » 23 May 2013, 20:40

Cougar BMX wrote:
Let me start the ball rolling here...

And as for the above, and please correct me if im wrong, but i was under the impression nobody had announced that it would be useless without an internet connection, just wouldn't have some of the functionality the connection brings.... something like the Xbox360?

It'll run blu rays and the likes without internet connection but no games. This is due to their whole handling of trading in your games. When you 'sell' them they'll be remotely removed from your profile so that copy can be sold again.
hazy33 21

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 23 May 2013, 20:45

KernowDevil23 wrote:Nice to hear a reasoned view on the console and it's future now the dust has settled.

Totally agree with that statement. Like a few other comments, E3 will be the deciding time when gamers either sit up and go "Wow" or hang on to their 360's for a while longer - not that I'll be saying goodbye to my 360 despite planning on buying the One upon release (see tweet to OXM).
Vulgar Plebeian 47

Postby KernowDevil23 » 23 May 2013, 20:48

Bezza89 wrote:And you mentioning Kojima has pricked up my ears, why mention him unless you know something you big tease.

Kojima was in the reveal video (at the start if my memory is correct), so no doubt he has plans for the XB1.
KernowDevil23 56

Next