to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One is "a games machine first and foremost", says Activ

Your comments on our articles.

Call of Duty: Ghosts to support Kinect voice commands

Activision Publishing boss Eric Hirshberg has discussed Kinect features for Call of Duty: Ghosts on Xbox One, insisting that voice commands will "make the gameplay better" rather than being bolted on for the sake of it. I can think of one, fairly obvious reason why this would be the case. Heel, Ghost Dog! Who's a good boy then? Now - Quickscope! Go prone!... read more

Postby Blastiel » 24 May 2013, 12:13

Xbox One is "a games machine first and foremost", says Activision boss - I guess the rest of the world missed that point given all we got showed was TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, Sports, Sports, Sports, Sports, TV, TV, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Dogs, Dirty Finger Nails and XBOX GO HOME.
Blastiel 20

Re: Xbox One is "a games machine first and foremost", says A

Postby CunningSmile » 24 May 2013, 12:22

Blastiel wrote:Xbox One is "a games machine first and foremost", says Activision boss - I guess the rest of the world missed that point given all we got showed was TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, Sports, Sports, Sports, Sports, TV, TV, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Dogs, Dirty Finger Nails and XBOX GO HOME.

But that's because the launch wasn't for us, it was for every non-gamer in America. E3 is for us.
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Ghostwriter » 24 May 2013, 12:25

"as though hardcore gamers don't also consume other forms of entertainment"

BLASPHEMY!

Going by the online forums "hardcore gamers" are always either shooting their virtual guns, driving their virtual cars or punching someone in the virtual face. To even suggest that they'd to anything else is an insult to their very being......or you never know, he might actually be right! :mrgreen:
Ghostwriter 10

Postby Blastiel » 24 May 2013, 12:27

CunningSmile wrote:
Blastiel wrote:Xbox One is "a games machine first and foremost", says Activision boss - I guess the rest of the world missed that point given all we got showed was TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, Sports, Sports, Sports, Sports, TV, TV, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Dogs, Dirty Finger Nails and XBOX GO HOME.

But that's because the launch wasn't for us, it was for every non-gamer in America. E3 is for us.

No E3 is for games. Massive launches of your latest console that if we are all being honest are only really watched by the hardcore, the core and the journo's are for, well....us and we want to know HOW we will be gaming not how MS want to replace my SKY+ box. Even more so when you delay it a month with the excuse that you need the time to respond to Sony and then ruck up with features no one wants.
Blastiel 20

Postby CunningSmile » 24 May 2013, 12:30

Blastiel wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:But that's because the launch wasn't for us, it was for every non-gamer in America. E3 is for us.

No E3 is for games. Massive launches of your latest console that if we are all being honest are only really watched by the hardcore, the core and the journo's are for, well....us and we want to know HOW we will be gaming not how MS want to replace my SKY+ box. Even more so when you delay it a month with the excuse that you need the time to respond to Sony and then ruck up with features no one wants.

But it wasn't for us. You only need to look at the press invited to realise that there were more New York Times and gadget mags than games magazines, and the fact MS have actually come forward and said that E3 is when they are announcing the gamer side of the X1. Rightly or wrongly as far as they were concerned this was the launch of the hardware and the media side, not the games.
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby J Meiser » 24 May 2013, 12:36

They're saving the games for E3. In hindsight, they probably should have shown a few more games or dropped a few more hints at the reveal but hey.
J Meiser 39

Postby FishyGinger » 24 May 2013, 12:36

CunningSmile wrote:But it wasn't for us. You only need to look at the press invited to realise that there were more New York Times and gadget mags than games magazines, and the fact MS have actually come forward and said that E3 is when they are announcing the gamer side of the X1. Rightly or wrongly as far as they were concerned this was the launch of the hardware and the media side, not the games.

But if it wasn't for us then why weren't we the target audience?
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby CunningSmile » 24 May 2013, 12:38

FishyGinger wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:But it wasn't for us. You only need to look at the press invited to realise that there were more New York Times and gadget mags than games magazines, and the fact MS have actually come forward and said that E3 is when they are announcing the gamer side of the X1. Rightly or wrongly as far as they were concerned this was the launch of the hardware and the media side, not the games.

But if it wasn't for us then why weren't we the target audience?

I'm blaming you. I told you that you shouldn't have taken that piss in Don Mattrick's swimming pool!
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Maximus T » 24 May 2013, 14:01

Wow. People have passed off a chance to scream at Kinect. As I have said before, voice commands are good, and it will be the first change in a call of duty game for what, five years?
#browns
Maximus T 63

Postby fracturedrich » 24 May 2013, 18:43

I don't want phone app achievements so please tell me we can turn them of or choose what kind of achievements we can have.I am hoping online and single player gaming is really going to kick on now.I am 39 in two weeks and i have been gaming since i was 5,gaming is my main passion,i go to work and game hard but how long can i keep playing for,could this be my last console ,i doubt it but if it is i am hoping for a very special time.So ms i am counting on you to deliver,please don't let us down.
fracturedrich 46

Postby SidTheSloth » 24 May 2013, 18:47

fracturedrich wrote:I don't want phone app achievements

I'd avoid CVG today then, they're carrying a story suggesting that MS are trying to patent achievements for watching TV, something along the lines of encouraging people to participate in interactive shows or something. I couldn't read the whole thing as i was getting motion sickness from shaking my head in disbelief.
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby KernowDevil23 » 24 May 2013, 18:50

Blastiel wrote: MS want to replace my SKY+ box.

MS don't want this, hence the inclusion of a HDMI IN port. It's to plug your set-top box in to......
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby schwepterbrowser » 25 May 2013, 10:06

SidTheSloth wrote:
fracturedrich wrote:I don't want phone app achievements

I'd avoid CVG today then, they're carrying a story suggesting that MS are trying to patent achievements for watching TV, something along the lines of encouraging people to participate in interactive shows or something. I couldn't read the whole thing as i was getting motion sickness from shaking my head in disbelief.

They patented it last year, Sid. I imagine like most patents it'll actually amount to nothing.

It's a stupid idea and it'd further lower the worth of achievements, you achieve nothing watching TV. Wouldn't be a huge deal just to ignore them if they were added, though. That's if they implement it right. I hope they wouldn't be on live TV, can you imagine channel hopping and unlocking an achievement, then you need to watch 10 more episodes of whatever shit to finish the list. Or dozing off and unlocking achievements related to shows you don't watch or want to continue watching.
schwepterbrowser 54

Postby SidTheSloth » 25 May 2013, 10:39

Must have missed that then dude, but i agree that a large part of it sounds ridiculous. Hopefully if i ignore it though it'll ignore me and go away.
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby SilentDark » 25 May 2013, 15:27

Maximus T wrote:Wow. People have passed off a chance to scream at Kinect. As I have said before, voice commands are good, and it will be the first change in a call of duty game for what, five years?

The big change to CoD is the dog, you'll probably be able to give it treats and bath it, take it for walks, enter it in competit...oh wait a minute, that was Nintendogs, you can see my confusion though :lol:

As for voice commands nope, they suck unless we all start speaking in received pronunciation our accents are likely to get in the way (those of us who have accents of course, for the rest of you, well done)
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62