to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One specs are boosted by "the equivalent of three Xbox

Your comments on our articles.

"There's roughly three times the resources available" to devs

We've been trying to work out what Xbox One's dramatic, potentially brilliant use of cloud processing resources to bolster its own specs actually amounts to. Once developers get to grips with it, you can expect interesting particulars. In the meantime, how about another hair-raising pie-in-the-sky statement of intent?... read more

Postby Bezza89 » 24 May 2013, 14:50

Sounds more and more like MS are making the Gertrude their last console, it's built for forever type of thing, couple it with the billion unit sales target.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Re: Xbox One specs are boosted by "the equivalent of three X

Postby CunningSmile » 24 May 2013, 14:56

Bezza89 wrote:Sounds more and more like MS are making the Gertrude their last console, it's built for forever type of thing, couple it with the billion unit sales target.

I've already seen one statement (and I think Jonty mentions it on the Excellent video he and Ed did) that MS are planning for at least ten years. If they can just move more and more off site as the hardware ages I can't see why they would need a gen after next.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Thos. » 24 May 2013, 14:58

For any game using this, the Xbox One immediately switches from "dial-in once a day" to "permanent internet connection required". Just saying.
Thos. 43

Postby Leopold5totch » 24 May 2013, 14:59

Forget about being online just once a day, if developers using cloud to power games it is going to need always online connection
Leopold5totch 31

Postby SidTheSloth » 24 May 2013, 15:00

This is what i was getting at in the other thread about the cloud being the big 'unknown quantity/leveller' specs wise. As Kernow reminded me last night, of course Sony have the Gaikai streaming stuff that could be adapted to something similar, maybe they've been sitting on it quietly etc. This sort of thing is bread and butter for Microsoft though, so they'd have their work cut out to make it of a similar level.

My point i made in the other thread was how many third party developers will utilise this extra cloud performance boost if making a multiplatform title and something similar isn't (this is the unknown caveat) available on the other machine. Would cause them headaches so they might ignore it. Surely something like Destiny would make the most use of this, they seem to be very friendly with Sony right now so it's highly possible they've thought of it too.
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Bezza89 » 24 May 2013, 15:07

CunningSmile wrote:
Bezza89 wrote:Sounds more and more like MS are making the Gertrude their last console, it's built for forever type of thing, couple it with the billion unit sales target.

I've already seen one statement (and I think Jonty mentions it on the Excellent video he and Ed did) that MS are planning for at least ten years. If they can just move more and more off site as the hardware ages I can't see why they would need a gen after next.

Is that the vid where Ed sits there cool as a cucumber next to Jonty 'sculpting an invisible statue of Frank Bruno' Hicks talks next to him? Watch the vid again, but pause it and look through the entire preview thing on the youtube video slider.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby OXM ETboy » 24 May 2013, 15:12

Cool as a cucumber, hah. That's a cucumber that's been left on the side near the kitchen boiler for a few days, I think.

Microsoft does have a lot to draw on with the cloud. In our (HEXCLUSIVE) pre-reveal presentation there was talk of basically bringing the entirety of Azure/Information Services to bear on Xbox Live, which would be one hell of an adrenaline shot.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby squirrelofDoom » 24 May 2013, 16:58

If utilised well cloud power could definitely be amazing for games. I don't see this being used for another five years at least, but it gives developers a heads up. obviously the infrastructure isn't entirely in place either, I only live a few miles out of town where they regularly get 20mb speeds, but I get 2mb, on a good day. This is confirmed by Onlive not doing well, I think it's even gone completely, I'm not sure.

The other big upside to this is the Xbox one theoretically has unlimited resources to pull on, and with hardware always decreasing in value, the Xbox could keep up with any top line PC, but at the fraction of the cost. And with this I don't really expect a Xbox Two.
squirrelofDoom 24

Postby Bugsquat » 24 May 2013, 17:51

So the cloud IS going to be used for a significant amount of gameplay content then. I thought that they said that it would only be used for weather effects and AI: largely non-vital stuff that would allow the One to focus on more important stuff...
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 30

Postby Droidsbane » 24 May 2013, 21:09

so it will over time become an always online console, needlessly increasing internet bills and giving those with poor to no internet connections the middle finger.
Droidsbane 33

Postby Spiderless » 24 May 2013, 21:20

Evidently MS know what they're doing better than I do, but I fail to see how the cloud can boost in-game performance except on a super-fast connection. On the average Joe's internet connection surely it would just be a bottleneck, the equivalent of having a super slow hard drive. Can anyone explain how it would work (ish)?

"needlessly increasing internet bills"
Are internet bills not just on a monthly charge anyway?
Spiderless 25

Postby Droidsbane » 24 May 2013, 21:30

Spiderless wrote: Are internet bills not just on a monthly charge anyway?

depends on how much internet you use in some cases
Droidsbane 33

Postby SidTheSloth » 24 May 2013, 21:47

Spiderless wrote:Evidently MS know what they're doing better than I do, but I fail to see how the cloud can boost in-game performance except on a super-fast connection. On the average Joe's internet connection surely it would just be a bottleneck, the equivalent of having a super slow hard drive. Can anyone explain how it would work (ish)?

"needlessly increasing internet bills"
Are internet bills not just on a monthly charge anyway?

There isn't a black/white answer with this, but the raw potential of the cloud means it can be used for much greater computational performance rather than relying solely on your console.

Will try and keep it simple, but think of something like Left 4 Dead, the AI director is constantly watching what you're doing and reacting accordingly - two constraints of the director are the AI algorithm and the computational power of the 360/PS3, with the former also being constrained by the latter - in other words the developers can only make the algorithm so complex or the console would melt. With the power of the cloud, we're going way beyond the capabilities of a next gen machine, there will be the equivalent power of a supercomputer to work all of that stuff out, so your console can focus more on handling graphics, physics (such as bullets) and stuff that requires no latency. Obviously designs will differ but, but with the alogrithms stored and executed on the cloud, the console will likely send small packets/parameters across the connection that the cloud will translate, calculate and reply back on etc, so really the data shouldn't be all that much - remember that the textures and everything like that will still be on your machine, the cloud will just send explicit instructions on what to do with them.

Naturally over time the data sent/received will start to increase as games get bigger/more complex - but the console is built for a long lifespan so i imagine MS will have allowed for the increase in bandwidth - i would also imagine there will be a certain degree of intelligence in the code too, whereby it can detect latency and bandwidth and adjust accordingly.

The one thing i just thought of which is scary in a Terminator sort of way is the potential for a game like XCOM, with it being cloud based it could go super-complex & could even learn/adapt based on data from all of the other games being played against it. :shock: Jesus, imagine multiplayer XCOM games where you're all in it together to save the world. I'm completely off-topic daydreaming now, but wow, the potential is incredible - if they can convince people to use it properly.
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Chris Fernandez » 25 May 2013, 01:51

This sounds great on paper but highly unrealistic that game companies are going to have to make multiple versions of the same game for people who don't have the always on capabilities. Unless somehow they manage to make it work similar to pc's where the settings can simply be adjusted. All in all seems like they will be segmenting the market, but who knows maybe like with the 360 where it only allowed broadband connection this might prove to push internet into more households.
Chris Fernandez 1

Postby bobshi » 25 May 2013, 09:20

This is a very misleading quote.

If you think you're going to receive the data of three XBones within 50ms so as to not show latency then you're smoking something.

Cloud compute can only be limited to a very small amount of data. Which makes it practically useless for gaming.

Sure you could have more intelligent AI but it won't make the game visually look better. That requires large amounts of data that you just won't be able to transfer in time.
bobshi 8

Next