to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One: Kinect won't be used to spy on you, camera can be

Your comments on our articles.

"If you want privacy, we'll give you modes that ensure your privacy."

Microsoft has moved to dispel claims that the new Kinect's voice and face recognition functions constitute an invasion of privacy, revealing that Kinect can, in fact, be turned off (though not, we're guessing, disconnected) while the console is active.... read more

Xbox One: Kinect won't be used to spy on you, camera can be

Postby Zz eVoLvEz HDzZ » 28 May 2013, 10:15

finnaly a post that will shut up all those idiots that are bitching about microsoft spying on them with the kinect.wooooohoooo! :)
Zz eVoLvEz HDzZ 12

Re: Xbox One: Kinect won't be used to spy on you, camera can

Postby Cokney Charmer » 28 May 2013, 10:21

This whole spying thing always makes me laugh. There is not a single item of modern tech that we all use that doesnt record some information about us. This site will record the IP address of anyone who posts, social media, especially via Smart Phones will record your actual Location etc etc

I wonder how many of us would stop caring if Kinect spoke with the voice of HAL or GlaDos whilst in use 8)
Twitter = @CockneyCharmer
Cokney Charmer 22

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 28 May 2013, 11:02

If I buy The Xbox One the camera will never be used and will be permanently off,Its just not something that interests me as a gamer. I may use the TV functions one day but as I currently don't on my 360 the chances are slim at best.

Im holding out for E3 before I write off Microsoft completely, I just hope they have landed some exclusives that aren't sports and FPS
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby PonderingWalrus » 28 May 2013, 11:05

I am still failing to see why Microsoft make it so you can just unplug Kinect if you wish. I mean, it's not built in to the console (it is an extra peripheral) but it is required to be plugged in to make it work. What the hell?
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby KernowDevil23 » 28 May 2013, 11:11

Johnbhoy69 wrote:If I buy The Xbox One the camera will never be used and will be permanently off.............
I may use the TV functions one day

Well that camera will need to be turned on to use the features that were revealed. Otherwise you'll just be an idiot waving and talking to a TV with nothing happening!
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 28 May 2013, 11:12

KernowDevil23 wrote:
Johnbhoy69 wrote:If I buy The Xbox One the camera will never be used and will be permanently off.............
I may use the TV functions one day

Well that camera will need to be turned on to use the features that were revealed. Otherwise you'll just be an idiot waving and talking to a TV with nothing happening!

Did I say Id be using the voice or movement controls...No!

A controller suits me just fine.

Also If I was to use them Id be talking to The Xbox not the TV

Learn to think before you type please!
Last edited by Johnbhoy69 on 28 May 2013, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby Bugsquat » 28 May 2013, 11:17

'we don't transmit...data...that could be personally identifiable to you'. OK, so the data you receive won't be filed under Mr Bugsquat, but I didn't see him say that they won't be filed at all, or that you won't receive targeted advertisement. People will be somewhat reassured that it isn't THEMSELVES being watched, but that doesn't excuse the fact that Microsoft do intend to watch you if you let them. However I will concede that it is a good thing that they will at least let you turn the camera off if you don't want it.
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Postby KernowDevil23 » 28 May 2013, 11:20

Johnbhoy69 wrote:Did I say Id be using the voice or movement controls...No!

A controller suits me just fine.

Maybe you should remember to bring your sense of humour with you when you log on to the forum, otherwise you'll end up looking like a bit of a nob, like you do now. :wink:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Blackie252 » 28 May 2013, 11:33

If people are that worried about Kinect 2 watching them eat cornflakes naked, in their living room, it should be pointed out that you can lift it up and point the camera to a wall! Its not rocket science!
Blackie252 22

Postby KernowDevil23 » 28 May 2013, 11:33

Johnbhoy69 wrote:Also If I was to use them Id be talking to The Xbox not the TV

You'd actually be talking to the Kinect camera rather than the Xbox, you know, the Kinect camera that you wouldn't turn on!

As far as I know, the actual Xbox One unit has no voice or facial recognition features built in does it?

Learn to think before you type please (and edit a post to make it look like you're not a complete NOB). :lol:
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 28 May 2013, 11:34

Someone needs to go back to School, Nob is someone from a high social class/wealth whereas Knob is slang for the body part you are referring to. uneducated much?

:wink:
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby KernowDevil23 » 28 May 2013, 11:38

Johnbhoy69 wrote:Someone needs to go back to School, Nob is someone from a high social class/wealth whereas Knob is slang for the body part you are referring to. uneducated much?

:wink:

Someone does need to go back to school. Basic grammatical errors are pretty apparent in your posts. Try thinking before you type please. :D

Oh and whichever way you'd like to spell it, it doesn't alter the fact that you know what I'm saying and you don't deny you're being a dick (is that the correct spelling?).
KernowDevil23 56

Postby d4nx2y » 28 May 2013, 11:41

does it have a nose?... I'd be sent a msg...TAKE A SHOWER NOW!
d4nx2y 16

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 28 May 2013, 11:44

KernowDevil23 wrote:Oh and whichever way you'd like to spell it, it doesn't alter the fact that you know what I'm saying and you don't deny you're being a dick (is that the correct spelling?).

Slightly obsessed with dick aren't you? :D
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby SLBruinScotty » 28 May 2013, 11:49

KernowDevil23 wrote:
Johnbhoy69 wrote:Also If I was to use them Id be talking to The Xbox not the TV

You'd actually be talking to the Kinect camera rather than the Xbox, you know, the Kinect camera that you wouldn't turn on!

As far as I know, the actual Xbox One unit has no voice or facial recognition features built in does it?

Learn to think before you type please (and edit a post to make it look like you're not a complete NOB). :lol:

Um..you do know there's a difference between a camera and a mic right? Only the camera can be switched off, the mic stays on to listen for "xbox on" or whatever, you don't talk to the camera, even if it is switched on.
SLBruinScotty 9

Next