to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

GRID 2 Xbox 360

Your comments on our articles.

From nought to sexy

There's no cockpit cam in Grid 2. None whatsoever. So if you're inclined to turn your fine-tuned petrol head nose up at those who play using unrealistic camera perspectives, this game will have you feeling like the very Tin Lizzie plebeians you so mercilessly mock, sitting on your throne of scrapped exhausts. But that shouldn't put you off.... read more

GRID 2 Xbox 360

Postby Phil Bridge » 28 May 2013, 16:08

So long as its a fun racing game that will do for me, not that bothered if its realistic or not.
Phil Bridge 17

Re: GRID 2 Xbox 360

Postby scottishwildcat » 28 May 2013, 16:53

Was looking forward to this, but reading all the negativity about it in Codemasters forums and watching their live streams leading up to the release, I'm increasingly underwhelmed.

I'm not fussed about the cockpit cam either, but the selection of real race tracks is *very* disappointing -- just five, with few of the classics included. The physics look far too arcadey even by GRID's standards, and driving around made-up street circuits really isn't half as much fun. Even the original GRID had a better selection, and the last-gen TOCA series before it had a massive selection of licensed tracks, cars AND championships that should have been at least matched, if not bettered on the current gen consoles by now.
scottishwildcat 17

Postby SidTheSloth » 28 May 2013, 18:47

If i hadn't got about 15 other racers still lying around half-finished i'd love to get this, i love damage-y racers, the old TOCA games were fantastic (if not bloody infuriating!) and i got the impression this was heading more in that direction.

I still don't get Codies move to solely racing games, they seem to sell like shit nowadays unless they're named Forza or GT yet they've put all of their eggs into that basket? If they release Micro Machines i will of course forgive them immediately, although given the general apathy around here towards similar titles it'd sell like ass as well i suspect so no wonder they're not forthcoming... Even arcade would be worth a punt surely given the success of Trials/Joe Danger etc? :|
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby battfink83 » 28 May 2013, 21:37

arcadey or not, grids cockpit cam was one of the best, to simply remove it is shocking, well to me it is anyways.

i wonder if they will realise one day that most of the people who buy their games have done for many, many years? jeez even the original colin mcrae on ps1 had a cockpit cam.... :shock:
battfink83 47

Postby Woody_802 » 29 May 2013, 01:42

Phil Bridge wrote:So long as its a fun racing game that will do for me, not that bothered if its realistic or not.

That's fair enough. Although I think that realistic racing is more fun than any tatty arcade 'drifter'. Alot of people get more satisfaction from obsessing over apexes, hassling a car ahead for 5 or more laps to find the perfect over taking spot/until they make a mistake, Fighting for 9th place as if it were 1st. Defending correctly, not just ramming into people. Call me old fashioned (I'm only 21) but bring back a proper Touring Car game. Surely everyone could see that TOCA was more fun than GRID?

Looking forward to Project C.a.r.s :D
Woody_802 13

Postby Metalrodent » 29 May 2013, 09:31

is there a proper damage model?
I remember playing a bit of the first, getting hit by an ai, taking loads of damage and then watching them speed off ahead without having slowed or even be visably scarred - put me right off
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby SidTheSloth » 29 May 2013, 09:40

Metalrodent wrote:is there a proper damage model?
I remember playing a bit of the first, getting hit by an ai, taking loads of damage and then watching them speed off ahead without having slowed or even be visably scarred - put me right off

Apparently so, read a few reviews praising it, but i don't think anyone really got into the damage:performance depth of discussion. I didn't play the first one but i find it strange collisions not slowing down your opponent wouldn't be at least flagged somewhere? I used to love the damage on the TOCA series, and how aggressively the AI would respond (within reason), but can't remember how superficial and/or debilitating the damage model was.
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby LuRcH18489 » 29 May 2013, 12:25

maybe if fans respond with enuf criticism thyl add cockpit cam as dlc, like thy did with the mass effect 3 ending lol
LuRcH18489 31

Postby fracturedrich » 31 May 2013, 21:44

I like it,it is pretty hard aswel,i have only 3 cars but it seems to be a decent game so far,until the 360 online bar stools destroy the online that is.
fracturedrich 46

Postby Nick Nack » 01 Jun 2013, 02:58

Woody_802 wrote:
Phil Bridge wrote:So long as its a fun racing game that will do for me, not that bothered if its realistic or not.

That's fair enough. Although I think that realistic racing is more fun than any tatty arcade 'drifter'. Alot of people get more satisfaction from obsessing over apexes, hassling a car ahead for 5 or more laps to find the perfect over taking spot/until they make a mistake, Fighting for 9th place as if it were 1st. Defending correctly, not just ramming into people. Call me old fashioned (I'm only 21) but bring back a proper Touring Car game. Surely everyone could see that TOCA was more fun than GRID?

Looking forward to Project C.a.r.s :D

I agree,and since the death of the late great Colin Mcrae the Dirt games have gone downhill.It's sad when you think that Richard Burns Rally is still one of the best rally games out there.And i used to love the Toca games on PS1,full championship and all the teams and drivers,and it provided a really good challenge.The f1 games are pretty good tho i do enjoy them,but i wish they added podiums and possibly a bit more commnetary.
Nick Nack 42

Postby BorisTheFrog » 01 Jun 2013, 12:01

Hmm, 8/10 feels a tad generous to me.

The real issue with me is that the Codies had 2 years inbetween forzas to slot in a game that could have (and probably should have) made people want to sit up and take notice. Something that really took Grid to the next level.
Instead, as was quite correctly pointed out in the review, they have taken the completely safe option and tried to create just another generic racer that they hope may appeal to a much wider audience instead of perhaps concentrating on the audience that appreciate racing games.

People are making comparisons with NFS and Shift - but after playing it at great length everything about it looks and feels like just another sunshine and tarmac Dirt game - complete with the obligatory obsession that Codemasters appear to have with making things feel all Americanised.
In all honesty i think Grid 2 has evolved from it's original in much the same way as Forza has diversified into Forza Horizon, by taking out the heart and soul of it's namesake and creating a completely different game.
Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game - it's simply an ok game. A run of the mill racer with nothing to really give you the urge to want to play it to a degree of obsession.

And finally, i can't leave without a mention of the online multiplayer side of Grid 2. In a word "shambolic"
Put 12 egotistical racers on a track with a first corner thats narrower than a bus lane and you know what's going to happen.
Put 12 egotistical racers on an entire circuit that's narrower than a bus lane and you know what's going to happen.
Put 12 egotistical racers on (almost) an entire game consisting of narrow tracks and, well, the "fun" very quickly wanes.

BorisTheFrog 17

Postby fracturedrich » 01 Jun 2013, 13:44

most racing games are not the best online,this is pretty good online in my opinion,the flashback works very well ,and that must not have been easy to get right.Listen it is never going to beat forza,forza though has many faults,take the ai for instance,i play on hard and still forza provides no challenge at all.This is forza single player,you start at the back then speed your way to turn one and take out the whole pack in one swoop,leaving one or two to race against if your lucky,then it,s get the tires up to temp and race against the clock.I love forza but it has faults.I like grid 2 better than the first one because it does provide a challenge,sure it,s a bit yankiefied and the car is a bit drifty but as a game it is good in it,s own right.I am not so keen on forza horizon but i play because if it was not a forza and a standalone game it would be good.I think we are lucky to get a decent game this gen as every one and his dog has there eyes and wallets set on xmas.
fracturedrich 46

Postby fracturedrich » 01 Jun 2013, 16:25

Hard is what this is,in a hour ive managed to grow hair then tear it out.
fracturedrich 46

Postby Lancer Armstrong » 03 Jun 2013, 17:41

Gotta be honest, I only ever play arcade racers. I have zero interest in realistic driving sims. Couldn't care less about tuning my engine and picking the right tires. Give me a car that flies through the air and drifts like a motherf**ker.

Burnout, Flatout, the brilliant Blur. That's my cup of tea.

Is Forza Horizon anything like that, or is it pretty much another Forza game?
Lancer Armstrong 23

Postby Metalrodent » 03 Jun 2013, 19:42

Lancer Armstrong wrote:Gotta be honest, I only ever play arcade racers. I have zero interest in realistic driving sims. Couldn't care less about tuning my engine and picking the right tires. Give me a car that flies through the air and drifts like a motherf**ker.

Burnout, Flatout, the brilliant Blur. That's my cup of tea.

Is Forza Horizon anything like that, or is it pretty much another Forza game?

Horizon is a arcade style racer, but it has elements of the realistic - it's more technical then then your Burnouts and stuff but not as deep as PGRs and Forza 1-4
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Next