to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

GTA 5 publisher: "if Microsoft is taxing used games, we shou

Your comments on our articles.

But Take-Two would prefer not to "punish" consumers

Take-Two Interactive CEO Strass Zelnick doesn't think it necessary to "punish" consumers for purchasing second-hand games, arguing that "pushing up quality" and delivering robust DLC is a more effective way of persuading people to keep hold of the disc. That said, he's bang up for a share of Microsoft's rumoured Xbox One "pre-owned fee", assuming the scheme actually exists.... read more

GTA 5 publisher: "if Microsoft is taxing used games, we shou

Postby skipperd » 30 May 2013, 17:29

and the "official" xbox mag and it's loyal MS-owned staff push the agenda to make sure that it's accepted by gamers when the console launches.
skipperd 11

Re: GTA 5 publisher: "if Microsoft is taxing used games, we

Postby OXM ETboy » 30 May 2013, 17:30

How am I pushing an agenda?
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby senote » 30 May 2013, 17:46

The devs and publishers are the only people who should be getting a cut of used game sales, and really only within a certain period, which would be a year at most. I must admit the whole pre-owned thing is quite a headache, is anyone really losing out?
senote 27

Postby battfink83 » 30 May 2013, 18:26

oh my days, finally a CEO that talks some damn sense, better quality games means better sales, and less pre owned returns. for gawd sake go round all the other dev ceo's and kick this into their heads please? thanks ;)
battfink83 51

Postby Drainwater » 30 May 2013, 22:42

skipperd wrote:and the "official" xbox mag and it's loyal MS-owned staff push the agenda to make sure that it's accepted by gamers when the console launches.

OXM ETboy wrote:How am I pushing an agenda?

I'm guessing mr. one post snipe there read the title and none of the content of the article and formed his response.
Drainwater 35

Postby Ciaran Hillock » 31 May 2013, 01:21

How aren't you pushing an agenda, your the mouthpiece of Microsoft your paid to do what they say.
Ciaran Hillock 9

Postby Dave2123 » 31 May 2013, 02:13

battfink83 wrote:oh my days, finally a CEO that talks some damn sense, better quality games means better sales, and less pre owned returns. for gawd sake go round all the other dev ceo's and kick this into their heads please? thanks ;)

This isn't necessarily the case. Most people who sell there used games 4 weeks out, as he talked about, are the sort of people who would do it no matter how good it is. They get the game, complete it in a couple of weeks, play it some more then sell it after only a few weeks, making a £10 loss or so. They would still do it no matter how good or bad the game is. I have Battlefield 3 and Halo: Combat Evolved 10th Anniversary Edition, which are the worst games I've ever played, yet I still haven't sold them.
Dave2123 29

Postby Dave2123 » 31 May 2013, 02:20

Ciaran Hillock wrote:

How aren't you pushing an agenda, your the mouthpiece of Microsoft your paid to do what they say.

I really doubt they are told to do anything by Microsoft and this article isn't trying to make anyone accept it, it's just conveying what Take Two and others have said. I agree, though, that the publishers should get paid for used games as well as Microsoft. It's the same reason why piracy is illegal; more than one person gets to play the game while developers, publishers and Microsoft aren't getting any money, which isn't fair. There really is no argument against it. It is the morally right thing to do.
Dave2123 29

Postby ItchyRash » 31 May 2013, 08:56

Ciaran Hillock wrote:

I believe they are actually employed by Future publishing who have no pro Microsoft agenda as they are also responsible for the Playstation Official Magazine amongst many other publications.

Secondly, you clearly haven't even read the article
ItchyRash 42

Postby OXM ETboy » 31 May 2013, 09:54

Ciaran Hillock wrote:

We're run by Future Publishing alongside ONM, OPM, CVG, GamesRadar and other sites/mags. We own the rights to release magazines that utilise the Xbox brand. Microsoft has no say over our editorial strategy.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 31 May 2013, 10:31

Ciaran Hillock wrote:

Ah suddenly it all becomes clear and the scales are lifted from my eyes, thank you so much!

I finally understand why we've had almost two weeks of articals on this site complaing about the lack of clear messages at the X1 launch event, the complaints about conflicting statements that MS have released since then, and massive artical complaining that MS didn't show enough games. It's all part of Microsofts official conspiracy to lower expectations of their new console using their mouthpiece.

Sorry Edwin, I've lost all respect for you. I never realised you were part of such a devious conspiracy to hoodwink us all.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby Dave101 » 31 May 2013, 13:45

all hail microsoft, boss us around and tell us what to do, please!!!
Seriously, I'm a die hard gamer, I have pretty much every console of the last 20 years, I love the 360 but there is no way I'm getting this, are Microsoft trying to go bankrupt?
Dave101 16

Postby SilentDark » 31 May 2013, 14:24

Ciaran Hillock wrote:

I'm pretty sure they're paid by Future Publishing, whose magazines would become a bit of a joke if they were all staffed by corporate shills.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby Nick Nack » 31 May 2013, 19:20

Dave101 wrote:all hail microsoft, boss us around and tell us what to do, please!!!
Seriously, I'm a die hard gamer, I have pretty much every console of the last 20 years, I love the 360 but there is no way I'm getting this, are Microsoft trying to go bankrupt?

Gotta be honest Microsoft right now disgust me.Their greed is incredible,and it's proved by them getting into bed with EA and the NFL,two of the greediest corporations in america.Give gamers free downloadable content,and games that are worth the money so we don't want to trade them in.Seriously tho there are alot of crap games out there that are only fit for the bargain bin,and aren't worth keeping.So no it doesn't matter how much downloadable content they make they still won't be worth keeping.I don't even see why Microsoft should get a cut of used games unless they are games that were developed in their studios.But being honest what Microsoft are doing about used games stinks to high hell,i understand it to a degree,but i think it's gonna be us the gamers who lose out in the end.And Matricks comments about people who want backwards compatibility must be backwards sums Microsoft up,smug greedy and arrogant!
Nick Nack 46

Postby CadX » 31 May 2013, 20:26

I thought the whole point of the used game tax was for the publishers? How does Microsoft have any right to redeem any of the cash produced by pre-owned use?
CadX 26

Next