to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

State of Decay hands-on: an hour in Undead Labs' fallen Amer

Your comments on our articles.

Combat, resources and founding a base

It's a wistful, picture-postcard autumn afternoon in the American Midwest. Hazy sunlight seeps between the branches of cedars and pines. Near the foot of some charming log cabins, a glitter of running water creates a pleasant contrast to the spectacle of a man pummelling a limbless, spasmodic torso with a length of rotten wood, erasing its head with a final, toe-curling squelch. The man is me. I am Marcus Campbell, one of the few survivors of a state-wide zombie apocalypse, and I'd absolutely kill right now for a packet of crisps.... read more

State of Decay hands-on: an hour in Undead Labs' fallen Amer

Postby ItchyRash » 31 May 2013, 16:46

I really really want this to work. After GTA it's probably my next most anticipated game and like GTA i'm really hoping it's great. I can forgive a few bugs here and there. As long as they're trying something new and ambitious then I don't need perfection
ItchyRash 42

Re: State of Decay hands-on: an hour in Undead Labs' fallen

Postby BlackhawkTenan » 31 May 2013, 17:10

I agree, few bugs don't bother me and it looks like a fun game. Really looking forward to it and as a XBLA game it should be quite cheap (£20 ish im thinking). Will be a good game to play during the summer lul of AAA games.
BlackhawkTenan 29

Postby Crisco » 31 May 2013, 17:46

Hopefully it'll be out on Wednesday. Undead Labs are saying it will probably be a higher priced game (I'm guessing 1600MSP).

I was hoping this site would be one of the scavenger hunt sites but so far I've found nothing.
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 45

Postby fracturedrich » 31 May 2013, 18:37

Please please,please be out before thursday,it is my birthday thursday and i have the day booked of work and this would be great timing.
fracturedrich 47

Postby Dave2123 » 31 May 2013, 22:48

" I've run into some real technical howlers, such as zombies who glitch themselves onto or through objects when you smack them particularly hard, but the flaws are amusing rather than annoying"

It doesn't really matter if they're amusing or game changing - the fact is that the game hasn't been made properly. New Vegas would have been the best game I'd ever played if it weren't for the poor graphics and all the bugs and glitches. New Vegas really needed to spend another year or two in the works, but then its engine and graphics would have been so outdated especially along side something like Bioshock 2. Zombies going through walls isn't amusing it just detracts from any immersion or realism you may have been experiencing. Even something small like that can ruin a game.
Dave2123 29

Postby Alaric14 » 31 May 2013, 23:12

Another zombie survival game. :roll:

*YYYAAAAAAAAWWWWWWNNN*
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby AlexBolton » 01 Jun 2013, 09:45

Alaric14 wrote:Another zombie survival game. :roll:

*YYYAAAAAAAAWWWWWWNNN*

To be fair this one seems to be attempting something different with the whole survivor traits and bases things, the fact that its not a full retail game puts me off though purely because it would suggest a smaller size game
AlexBolton 18

Postby Bezza89 » 01 Jun 2013, 11:14

*YYYAAAAAAAAWWWWWWNNN*

You serious dude? Only cos I'd counter there aren't any other zombie survival games I can think of, especially ones that focus on management... or any management.

There's a lot of zombie shooty face games though.
Trianglular Sandwiches advocate against remakes of games, except Halo MC collection and GTAV... and metro... and minecraft.
Bezza89 67

Postby Alaric14 » 01 Jun 2013, 11:41

Bezza89 wrote:

*YYYAAAAAAAAWWWWWWNNN*

You serious dude? Only cos I'd counter there aren't any other zombie survival games I can think of, especially ones that focus on management... or any management.

There's a lot of zombie shooty face games though.

Incorrect; there was a decent micromanagement browser-based title, World of the Living Dead, released not more than a year ago that made an interesting change.

But my comment did contain a higher dose of cynicism than usual, because zombies are used to sell games without any attention to the quality of a story or context. The Walking Dead is the only game which had defied this trend recently, focusing on character development and interactive storytelling.

OXM might forgive me (though I doubt it) for talking about the upcoming The Last Of Us. A game which does include 'zombie'-like monsters, but the focus is - like The Walking Dead - about human survival and the costs we're prepared to pay in order to keep our lives.

Management systems or no, I can't see why we need another game that brings the inexplicable and overused undead back to torment us with their growls and flesh-torn appendages, save for the fact that it will sell.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby OXM ETboy » 01 Jun 2013, 12:40

It's definitely a game that's been put together from spare parts - where it stands apart is in just how many spare parts it includes, and how they lock together differently depending on the context. Really getting into it now, after spending an in-game night searching for a missing survivor after sending that survivor into town to collect some medicine. This involved searching through several houses, finding a flash new handgun, a food cache and some distraction tools in the process. The highlight was when I dropped something during a search (you can hold a button to speed up searching, at the risk of making more noise) and caught the attention of a horde. Managed to hold them off in a second floor store room till I ran out of ammo, then escaped by leaping through the window. Classy stuff. On finding my man and getting back to base, I discover that two people have had a fight while I was out, and that morale is lower as a consequence.

I think the biggest possible downer, tech issues aside, is that there will be too many generic solutions to problems - i.e. it doesn't matter what exactly's lowering morale, because all you have to do is bust up a bunch of zombies or find more food. This aside, I'm enjoying it hugely.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby fracturedrich » 01 Jun 2013, 14:00

I am glad your enjoying it,for me that is the single most important thing for any game,enjoyment.When people say oh but it,s just another zombie game,you could say that about nearly any game,it is just another driving game or shooter or whatever.I am so glad this is coming out this week and i hope microsoft and the fans really get behind it so it will bring better for the future.I have heard that the combat is pretty good which will be a bonus.I hope that the world is big and full of surprises,does it reward exploration,does it have perma death.
fracturedrich 47

Postby Metalrodent » 01 Jun 2013, 16:41

will there be an easy mode for the times when I want to casually play without pissing myself about stamina?
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 70

Postby Crisco » 01 Jun 2013, 17:45

fracturedrich wrote:I am glad your enjoying it,for me that is the single most important thing for any game,enjoyment.When people say oh but it,s just another zombie game,you could say that about nearly any game,it is just another driving game or shooter or whatever.I am so glad this is coming out this week and i hope microsoft and the fans really get behind it so it will bring better for the future.I have heard that the combat is pretty good which will be a bonus.I hope that the world is big and full of surprises,does it reward exploration,does it have perma death.

There is perma death but hopefully when that happens (One of the devs said it's more of a when than an if) you'll have other people you can use.

Metalrodent wrote:will there be an easy mode for the times when I want to casually play without pissing myself about stamina?

I'm a bit wary of the stamina thing but again you can switch to someone else and let the other character rest. I'm not sure how long they would have to rest for to fully replenish the stamina.
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 45

Postby Maximus T » 02 Jun 2013, 21:36

I am quite wary about download only games (which doesn't bode well for the future), and am not particularly into zombies either. However, I am getting a bit excited by this, the management aspect reminding me somewhat of XCOM.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Maximus T 67