to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

OXM Day-Care Center

Anything that doesn’t fit anywhere else

OXM Day-Care Center

Postby Grummy » 03 Jun 2013, 08:34

Well I figure that there is at least 8 or 10 regulars now who have kids so I thought a nice thread for parents to swap stories etc would be nice.

After reading Yokie's response to me in the other thread, my initial thoughts were "Not at all love, I'm always happy to read about the experiences of the other parents on here, get to know what they faced on this remarkable journey of torment and damnation and cuddles", which had me thinking that a thread like this could be good. I really do love hearing other peoples stories and figure something like this could be a good place for us responsible folk to band together as a little support group perhaps, or just to mock those little people who aren't as awesome as we are by dint of their none parentishness. Plus, I'll probably share a reasonable amount of stuff about baby, (as new parents are wont to do) and figured that if it did become a popular theme, a separate thread would be better so as not to overload the other threads. BABALITY.

So, to continue my story, last night didn't work out as planned at all, in the end baby stayed up until about 5ish constantly feeding and wanting comfort. It looks like for the time being she will be a night-owl. It didn't help that we let her sleep a fair bit yesterday evening, but that really was just how things worked out considering we didn't leave the hospital until about half 6, she just ended up getting a couple of hours in then which I think contributed to her night-owlishosity. She also seems to be a cluster-feeder at night. I know mummies milk is meant to be much better at night, so being a night feeder is more understandable but the constant feeding was bonkers. In the end I changed approach and told my missus she just had to stay up with her until she finally wore herself out and I would get some sleep as I was basically useless and was just up and awake for the hell of it. I didn't like it, but there was no point in us both being up and I figured that if I got some sleep last night I could be up today and let the missus sleep through until early afternoon, just getting up to feed between now and then. If she gets up early-mid afternoonish it means she can be up again tonight in the likelihood that baby has another restless night and she won't be missing out too much sleep and I am free to crash out. The complete opposite of what I wanted, but hopefully this is just a short term thing and baby will start to relent so we can move her into a routine.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Re: OXM Day-Care Center

Postby Insaneyokel » 03 Jun 2013, 09:38

If your missus is getting tired and the little one is a night feeder, your missus could try to express milk and then you could feed using a bottle. That system is not for everyone but it can give her a break especially if your daughter wants feeding all the time at night. Also if she is falling asleep during the feed she might not be getting her fill, so make sure you keep her awake. I expect you know all this already, but just trying to help. It can be scary, worrying and wonderful being a new parent. We have all been there and I know how it feels having an active little night owl :D

Also I feel sorry for Dad's as they try and be involved but a lot of the time they can do very little. That's why I suggest expressing, as it helped my hubby bond with my eldest. (Youngest is bottle feed as he was in special care baby unit for 4weeks as he was 5 weeks prem) .
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby Grummy » 03 Jun 2013, 10:47

Bonding with my baby I'm not worried about, I don't have any sense of not being close to her just because mummy tends to be more hands on, I just want to make sure the missus gets enough sleep, it doesn't even need to be a full 8 hours, 5 or 6 would be enough to go with, people can exist relatively comfortable on 5 or 6 hours a night for a long time. Right now though, sleep is a luxury for her. Baby seems to sleep better during the day, but still wakes regularly for feeds, every hour at the moment, but only feeds for about 10 minutes.

Missus is worried whether we're doing the right things, but personally I don't care that much right now, I think it's far more important that she and baby both get the rest they need than worrying about such things as sleeping patterns/routines. That can be sorted out a bit later once we get an idea exactly what baby is going to be like and we can talk it over with the midwife for some suggestions how to help take what we have and start moving her towards better routines etc.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby Insaneyokel » 03 Jun 2013, 10:54

Have to say you guys seem to have it utterly under control. Sleep is the key issue, we have got a 5 month old who is teething at the moment and he is being a little ball of grouchyness :D :D as I said before just keep doing what you think is right, what works for one does not work for others. However, us women do worry about whether we are doing things right, so just reassure her that the little one is in charge now and she will definitely let you know if she is happy or otherwise. :D :D by the way love the name, have taught some girls called April over the past few years and they have always been lovely :D
Insaneyokel 47

Postby Grummy » 03 Jun 2013, 11:07

Not quite as under control as I would like, the sleeping messed up again already as she needs constant comforting, so right now she is asleep in my arms on the sofa. not ideal, but it's the only way the missus could get some sleep. I definitely think we need to get her a dummy, I think that will help her sleep better.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby Insaneyokel » 03 Jun 2013, 11:11

Awwwww, enjoy the cuddles, but yeah I know it's not ideal, but it's all new to her so she will feel insecure so she will want her daddy protecting her :D
Insaneyokel 47

Postby Grummy » 03 Jun 2013, 15:59

The worst part of this right now is that I'm constantly thinking 'oh man, what if she's in her room right now and she's suffocating' and things like that. Crazy ass paranoia. It's all I can do to stop myself from constantly going in there every few minutes to see if she's ok.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby Insaneyokel » 03 Jun 2013, 17:40

That is totally normal, me and hubby have been there with both boys. When the eldest was about a month old we took him into the drop in doctors thinking the worst about a rash, it turned out to be baby ache which most babies get. To say we felt daft is an understatement :)
Insaneyokel 47

Postby Grummy » 03 Jun 2013, 18:31

Any suggestions on cooling down her room?
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby KernowDevil23 » 03 Jun 2013, 19:22

Grummy wrote:Any suggestions on cooling down her room?

For our two, we always had a pedestal fan outside the nursery door on it's lowest setting. Seemed to do the trick.

On another point, from what I've read so far, you and your partner seem to be coping unbelievably well considering she's your first! As others have said, there's no "rule book" to follow. You know what works for you so go with it.

Kinda making me broody again but that ship sailed with the swift wrist action of a surgeon years ago! :lol:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Grummy » 03 Jun 2013, 19:26

KernowDevil23 wrote:
Grummy wrote:Any suggestions on cooling down her room?

For our two, we always had a pedestal fan outside the nursery door on it's lowest setting. Seemed to do the trick.

On another point, from what I've read so far, you and your partner seem to be coping unbelievably well considering she's your first! As others have said, there's no "rule book" to follow. You know what works for you so go with it.

Kinda making me broody again but that ship sailed with the swift wrist action of a surgeon years ago! :lol:

The surgeon gave you a handjob?
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby KernowDevil23 » 03 Jun 2013, 19:45

Yep, a really painful one which made my balls swell to the size of grapefruits!

He had rather large, uncaring hands though.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Insaneyokel » 03 Jun 2013, 19:45

Hubby just had that procedure 4 days ago.

As for a cool room, have you got a temperature egg, they should you using a colour code whether the room is ok or not. We varied the sheets and as Kernow said we had a fan as well
Insaneyokel 47

Postby comabob » 03 Jun 2013, 19:50

The littlun will sleep constantly and will probably want cuddles to soothe her off

Trust me mate - i ended up actively seeing out games i could play on XBLA with one hand so i could manage one handed cuddles whilst by boy was asleep. (im now extremely good at Clash Of Titans Might and Magic with my toes believe it or not)

My son was a bugger for feeds. He woul be up every hour or so wanting a bottle - it was hard but it was only for 6 - 8 months til he was down for 4-5 hrs a night.

I used to stay up at night anticipating him waking up at that point too. Frustrating to say the least.

Like you say Grumster - routine routine routine.

Get April into a routine for bedtime asap.

It took 18 months for Jackson to finally get his - bath, bottle (not anymore) storytime, song, sleep.
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby Grummy » 03 Jun 2013, 20:46

Insaneyokel wrote:Hubby just had that procedure 4 days ago.

As for a cool room, have you got a temperature egg, they should you using a colour code whether the room is ok or not. We varied the sheets and as Kernow said we had a fan as well

A Gro-egg, yeah, it coloured a nice lovely red last night. Tonight we're trying a desk fan in her room blowing it from the far corner of her room to the door at the other end, with the air passing by close to her bed, but not over it or her.

Edit: So I just went in to check on her and the fan doesn't seem to have helped much, the room is still very warm, cooler than yesterday I think, but still warm. I noticed though that while she is sleeping she was breathing fairly rapidly, her little chest was moving up and down at a fair rate, not crazy fast, but certainly quite fast, is this normal for babies when they're sleeping or should her breathing movements be slow and shallow?
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Next