GTA 5 doesn't need an Xbox One or PS4 version, says Take Two

Your comments on our articles.

Publisher expects "enormous consumer demand" despite current gen status

In news that will surprise few, Take-Two Interactive CEO Strauss Zelnick doesn't think sales of Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto 5 will be especially dented by the absence of Xbox One and PS4 versions.... read more

GTA 5 doesn't need an Xbox One or PS4 version, says Take Two

Postby JD_Method » 05 Jun 2013, 17:05

That's quite saddening to read.

It's like, they don't care about what's best for the game itself, but only what sells. A next-gen version would have been awesome.
JD_Method 58

Re: GTA 5 doesn't need an Xbox One or PS4 version, says Take

Postby vadersmyfather » 05 Jun 2013, 17:27

JD_Method wrote:That's quite saddening to read.

It's like, they don't care about what's best for the game itself, but only what sells. A next-gen version would have been awesome.

I suspect some people may be of the opposite opinion. Rather than maximise sales by producing it for as many consoles as possible, they have opted to make the very best version they can for current gen.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
vadersmyfather 50

Postby msbhvn » 05 Jun 2013, 17:33

I would be very surprised if GTA V didn't eventually come out for next gen. They obviously don't want to announce this yet, for fear of denting the sales of the current generation versions.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby Your Mom » 05 Jun 2013, 18:48

I will not purchase this game for 360. If it does not come out with Xbox1 I will not buy one of those either. It will release though. They are just trying to convince folks to buy ASAP so they can double up on revenue when Christmas comes. Remember when GUN came out? it released for original XBOX and then was re-released with the drop of the 360. They will miss out on so much revenue if this game does not release with Xbox1 or PS4. With the gaming industry in flux right now. They cant afford to miss out...
Your Mom 1

Postby fracturedrich » 05 Jun 2013, 19:34

No no no,they can do what ever they want,this will sell by the bucket load,i can see goty for next gen or a add on thrown in.I for one am glad gives me reason to keep that old xbox even more.
fracturedrich 48

Postby Drainwater » 06 Jun 2013, 01:52

I'm just assuming they'll release an X1 version; I'm not even disappointed they're lying right now because it's the only way they won't cripple their sales for the 360 version, as msbhvn said. I plan to get this for the 360 and I also plan to (eventually) get an X1. I won't get this for the X1 however, because I know this was developed for the current console and all they will add to an X1 version will be shinier graphics, probably new outfits or vehicles or weapons, and possibly a new mission or two. In other words, gimmicks to try and get me to buy it again. I have been eagerly looking forward to this, but once I buy it, it stays bought by me and won't be bought again.
Drainwater 35

Postby JD_Method » 06 Jun 2013, 02:49

vadersmyfather wrote:I suspect some people may be of the opposite opinion. Rather than maximise sales by producing it for as many consoles as possible, they have opted to make the very best version they can for current gen.

I can see that point of view, but...

Ah, I'll just say it - I'm a bit of a graphics whore, so I would have preferred a better looking next-gen version. I've been playing games on PC for so long now that it's hard to come back to current-gen consoles. Besides, I heard in some previews that the game can look a bit rough at times.

It's purely selfish reasons I'd like a next-gen version.
JD_Method 58

Postby iEdwin » 06 Jun 2013, 03:53

I won't be getting the Xbox One untill GTA V comes out on it. So I'll stay with my Xbox 360 for now. :)
iEdwin 23

Postby vadersmyfather » 06 Jun 2013, 08:55

JD_Method wrote:
vadersmyfather wrote:Besides, I heard in some previews that the game can look a bit rough at times.

Rockstar games are never the best looking in my opinion.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
vadersmyfather 50

Postby LuRcH18489 » 06 Jun 2013, 10:44

unless summit RELI big is announced for xbox one at e3 thn i wont be getn one, the only temptation atm is forza5 but just one game wont prize the muni outta my wallet for it
LuRcH18489 31

Postby SilentDark » 06 Jun 2013, 13:35

I'd rather they not port this over to the next gen systems since they'd be pushed to add some stupid gimmickry to take advantage of the kinect 2.0 and whatever PS4 has in store and this game is not really designed for that. When GTA comes to the PS4/X1 I'd rather it be a version created specifically with those consoles in mind. The Wii was plagued by lazy PS2 ports with waggle bolted on in the early years and they almost all sucked regardless of how good the original product was. I doubt anyone is getting rid of their 360 any time soon anyway so they should just concentrate on making the last GTA for the PS3/360 the best it can possibly be.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 67

Postby CunningSmile » 06 Jun 2013, 14:06

Rockstar have never been big fans of cross gen titles so this doesn't really surprise me. Of the top of my head the only one I can think of is Bully, and I think that was more motivated by poor sales of the PS2 version than anything else.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator