to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

FIFA 14 hands-on: five ways you'll have to rethink how you p

Your comments on our articles.

How EA's introducing more variety and strategy

We've finally got our our unwashed mitts on FIFA 14, after previewing it at length in April, and we're generally impressed at how EA is going about trying to make a more exciting, realistic game of football. It's no mammoth overhaul, clearly, but the devil does appear to be in the detail.... read more

FIFA 14 hands-on: five ways you'll have to rethink how you p

Postby Thewhipidhinio » 06 Jun 2013, 12:25

No news on the fundamental flaws that is the gameplay? I.E. Fifa's 3 year old impact engine which is still no where near Pes' impact engine from 2012. How does the scripted first touch behave? I.E the ability to completely miss-control a pass travelling at the speed of a turtle and the player being under no pressure. Whereas PES introduces a poor first touch system which is combated by the SKILL of the person controlling the controller, (you have to time the tap of LT). Can you finally control the ball by taking many touches in a small space? I.E. PES' just has a good control without sprinting, like real footballers can, but on FIFA you have to hold LB?! and you move an inch a second, or you use LT where you move slowly and the amount of touches on the ball is still the same?!
I just hope EA have bucked their ideas up, and concentrated on the game not FUT. But I doubt it.
Thewhipidhinio 19

Re: FIFA 14 hands-on: five ways you'll have to rethink how y

Postby Rnald » 06 Jun 2013, 16:36

It'd be lovely to think this is how Fifa will play, but they've promised a slower game in 12 and 13 and not delivered what they said they would.

Too many empty promises in the lead up to Fifa releases, all the flashy 'features' in the trailers usually amount to nothing. Personality Plus still only seems to apply to Ronaldo three years down the line.

Be brutal for once OXM, admit that we aren't going to get much out of 14 because apart from maybe the long shots these are the same promises we've had for a few years.
Rnald 39

Postby OXM ETboy » 06 Jun 2013, 16:51

Ain't going to be no brutality coming from me - I've literally never touched a FIFA game. The best I can do is look on in mild bemusement.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby vadersmyfather » 06 Jun 2013, 16:53

I've purchased the last few Fifa's and enjoyed them but I'm now fed up of just tweaking the game play. We need something different.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 47

Postby OXM Wannabe » 07 Jun 2013, 20:01

OXM ETboy wrote:Ain't going to be no brutality coming from me - I've literally never touched a FIFA game. The best I can do is look on in mild bemusement.

When shall we expect it then, Ed? You can't use no double negatives here.
OXM Wannabe 2