to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

A new era: Xbox One's pre-owned and game licensing policies

Your comments on our articles.

"In the months ahead, we will continue to listen to your feedback."

So, the more wakeful or North America-based of you may have noticed that Microsoft attempted to clarify its game licensing policies last night, over on Xbox Newswire. Let's have a quick run-through, shall we?... read more

Postby vadersmyfather » 07 Jun 2013, 09:42

I notice that other websites are reporting that MS has also said...

“Xbox One is designed to run in a low-powered, connected state. This means your system, games and apps are always current and ready to play—no more waiting for updates. While a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend. Games that are designed to take advantage of the cloud may require a connection.”

“You can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console.

“With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies."

Microsoft added "because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you’re not playing."

This seems to make clear that you will be unable to play offline unless you connect to Xbox Live every 24 hours on your primary console.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 48

Postby bobknight1 » 07 Jun 2013, 09:46

It covers the majority of the concerns that I had. although looking at other sites alot of people are still very unhappy (no pleasing some people). I just wish Sony would come out with a statement as to what their policies are.
bobknight1 35

Re: A new era: Xbox One's pre-owned and game licensing polic

Postby OXM ETboy » 07 Jun 2013, 09:46

Cheers vader - added.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Greganor » 07 Jun 2013, 09:49

I'm sensing some sweeping positives that were never part of the original plan cobbled on to the long standing negatives. As someone who doesn't trade in games, I'm quite pleased by some of this. The shared digital library is a good idea on paper but who's to say I don't put a friend into my family group for the purpose of game sharing? Microsoft will likely make us jump through hoops to share effectively.
Greganor 23

Postby vadersmyfather » 07 Jun 2013, 09:51

The whole 24 hour offline thing isn't an issue for me under my current set-up, but I think it will be a major headache for many people out there.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 48

Postby phillip beasley » 07 Jun 2013, 09:53

Ok i'm not sure if i'm getting this right but does this mean if i buy a copy of Call of Duty my son can also play the same copy on his Xbox One from my games library without me having to buy 2 copy's?. Because if that's the case i'll be buying 2 consoles on release date.
phillip beasley 24

Postby bobknight1 » 07 Jun 2013, 09:55

phillip beasley wrote:Ok i'm not sure if i'm getting this right but does this mean if i buy a copy of Call of Duty my son can also play the same copy on his Xbox One from my games library without me having to buy 2 copy's?. Because if that's the case i'll be buying 2 consoles on release date.

Thats how it sounds to me. Although it doesnt say that you'll be able to play at the same time.
Last edited by bobknight1 on 07 Jun 2013, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
bobknight1 35

Postby Metalrodent » 07 Jun 2013, 09:59

How come you didn't mention the bit where it says you can swap games with your friends, but only once and if they've been on your friends list for 30days+

Also the 24hr thing, does that mean I have to turn the xbox on once every day, or will it be automatically connected? (so will only lose it if i turn the router off?)
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby OXM ETboy » 07 Jun 2013, 10:05

Metalrodent wrote:How come you didn't mention the bit where it says you can swap games with your friends, but only once and if they've been on your friends list for 30days+

Also the 24hr thing, does that mean I have to turn the xbox on once every day, or will it be automatically connected? (so will only lose it if i turn the router off?)

I thought I did...?

The 24 hour thing is presumably automatic.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Chameleon » 07 Jun 2013, 10:05

Yup, my circumstances (reliable internet; two xboxes in my household, one mine, one for my son; one friend that I exchange games with, who can probably be called 'family' if the announcement is to be believed; occasionally trade-in; never rent) seem perfectly covered with this. As will many people, but clearly not all.

Can certainly empathise with those on other forums who are military with little to no internet, but for a majority of gamers, this should work fine. Worth pointing out that the once-per-day handshake can probably be done using your smartphone as a wi-fi hotspot, should your internet go down for longer than 24 hours.

So, from a usability standpoint, we're probably all good from my perspective. Still don't like the way we're going tho. Small steps and all that. Hey ho - it progress. Allegedly.
Chameleon 44

Postby OXM ETboy » 07 Jun 2013, 10:06

Just so you all know, we're in the process of putting together a reaction piece - expect it later today.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby ElCritique » 07 Jun 2013, 10:08

I don't like that internet is required, but it sure as heck beats 24/7 DRM. Can't complain too much about it. Overall, I'm happy with it.
ElCritique 35

Postby Chameleon » 07 Jun 2013, 10:09

phillip beasley wrote:Ok i'm not sure if i'm getting this right but does this mean if i buy a copy of Call of Duty my son can also play the same copy on his Xbox One from my games library without me having to buy 2 copy's?. Because if that's the case i'll be buying 2 consoles on release date.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license wrote:You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

Sounds good, right?

And yes, metal, as the system is in a low-power and connected state, even when 'off' you will have 24hours from an internet down to the next time you'll need to connect.
Last edited by Chameleon on 07 Jun 2013, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Chameleon 44

Postby msbhvn » 07 Jun 2013, 10:13

The thing I'm most concerned about is that MS are saying all this stuff is "up to the publisher". I'd be willing to bet most of them will "accidentally" forget to enable any of these features.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby phillip beasley » 07 Jun 2013, 10:15

Chameleon wrote:

You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

Sounds good, right?

And yes, metal, as the system is in a low-power and connected state, even when 'off' you will have 24hours from an internet down to the next time you'll need to connect.

so i assume that family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time. Means my son can play at the same game at the same time as me?
phillip beasley 24

Next