to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Opinion: On Xbox One and game ownership

Your comments on our articles.

The journey from buying boxes to eternally-connected evolution

Last night, Microsoft finally came clean on the broad strokes of its Xbox One game licensing policies, the subject of much rumour and controversy following a bevy of ambiguous statements in the wake of the console's reveal.... read more

Opinion: On Xbox One and game ownership

Postby GoingPostal13 » 07 Jun 2013, 16:53

These restrictions will make me buy less games - here's a demonstration as an illustration: http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... ection.jpg
GoingPostal13 7

Re: Opinion: On Xbox One and game ownership

Postby OXM ETboy » 07 Jun 2013, 17:00

GoingPostal13 wrote:These restrictions will make me buy less games - here's a demonstration as an illustration: http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... ection.jpg

Pictures are worth a thousand words. ;)
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Thos. » 07 Jun 2013, 17:14

The problem as far as I can see is that there are a lot of minor negatives in the XB1, but each person will have a different problem with one or two of those points, which then adds up to a lot of people.

I read a comment about someone saying they had no trouble with used sales as they don't sell their games, but a daily internet problem was a problem, so they wouldn't be buying.

I'm the exact opposite, I have stable internet, but I live for used games, and love browsing second hand shops and markets for old classics. For that reason I am not buying a XB1.

Then also considering the fact that apparently the PS4 is possibly 50% more powerful, while being cheaper than the Xbox One and it's kind of an easy choice right now.
Last edited by Thos. on 07 Jun 2013, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
Thos. 45

Postby OXM ETboy » 07 Jun 2013, 17:17

I'm not bothered about the hardware power gap, myself. I buy games for the ideas they contain, not how they look. I don't like what "participating retailers" bodes for independently owned game shops, though.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Thos. » 07 Jun 2013, 17:22

OXM ETboy wrote:I'm not bothered about the hardware power gap, myself. I buy games for the ideas they contain, not how they look. I don't like what "participating retailers" bodes for independently owned game shops, though.

I'd rather pay less money for a more powerful machine, than more money for features I won't use which impact and limit the power available for gaming.

You can buy a car for 10k, or a car for 15k that goes slower, uses more fuel, is more uncomfortable and has extras you'll never use.
Thos. 45

Postby OXM ETboy » 07 Jun 2013, 17:23

Seems reasonable :) I certainly won't be buying an Xbox One for Skype.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby squirrelofDoom » 07 Jun 2013, 17:29

maybe 10-15% more powerful maybe, but fifty will be pushing it. it would need the very top end tech to do so, and that is expensive. And with both companies pushing the cloud issue, then power will eventually mean squat anyway.
squirrelofDoom 26

Postby bobknight1 » 07 Jun 2013, 17:35

I don't understand why they chose a system that requires you to connect to the internet every 24hrs, would it not have been more reasonable to require an internet connection when you first install the game? leaving you available to play the game offline for as long as you wanted. tbh its not an issue that is really going to affect me either way but i cant understand the logic behind it.
bobknight1 33

Postby OXM ETboy » 07 Jun 2013, 17:39

I'd like Microsoft to publish actual, concrete figures demonstrating that used/piracy affects first-hand sales to the extent that DRM is justified. That'd do more for my opinion of Xbox One than any amount of blithering about "enabling" the consumer.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby senote » 07 Jun 2013, 17:40

From what I read in another article, the console isn't 'always online' but if it can't connect every day to 'dial home' it's just another Blu-ray player. I could have read that wrong but it's how it came across to me. This coupled with the lack of backwards compatibility, the Kinect, and everything else, I have to wonder why someone at MS didn't stop and realise this would not go down well.

The ONLY thing the Xbox One has that people actually want is the possibility to allow for bigger and better games, everything else is just window dressing, it's the lettuce in a Big Mac, it seems to me like MS is trying to sell us lettuce burgers.
senote 27

Postby senote » 07 Jun 2013, 17:41

OXM ETboy wrote:I'd like Microsoft to publish actual, concrete figures demonstrating that used/piracy affect first-hand sales to the extent that DRM is justified. That'd do more for my opinion of Xbox One than any amount of blithering about "enabling" the consumer.

I agree, the fact a lot of people use trade-ins to finance purchases of new games suggests that the whole system balances itself out, or certainly is nowhere near as 'damaging' as they suggest.
senote 27

Postby bobknight1 » 07 Jun 2013, 17:45

if preowned is as damaging as they say it is why not just price the digital versions of games at a competitive price and let the issue take care of itself?
bobknight1 33

Postby PonderingWalrus » 07 Jun 2013, 17:50

Not impressed at all by this...

I yearn for the days when buying a game was as simple as "you bought it, you own it, please don't illegally copy and redistribute it". None of this licensing malarky.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby senote » 07 Jun 2013, 17:56

bobknight1 wrote:if preowned is as damaging as they say it is why not just price the digital versions of games at a competitive price and let the issue take care of itself?

yeah I saw Crysis3 on GoD the other day £49.99, that's a joke :-/
senote 27

Postby bobknight1 » 07 Jun 2013, 17:59

senote wrote:
OXM ETboy wrote:I'd like Microsoft to publish actual, concrete figures demonstrating that used/piracy affect first-hand sales to the extent that DRM is justified. That'd do more for my opinion of Xbox One than any amount of blithering about "enabling" the consumer.

I agree, the fact a lot of people use trade-ins to finance purchases of new games suggests that the whole system balances itself out, or certainly is nowhere near as 'damaging' as they suggest.

As much as i agree i always felt it was a bit of p*** take when you'd go in and see that a second hand copy was £38 and a new copy was £39. And the Sales assistant would always ask you if you'd prefer the second hand copy.
bobknight1 33

Next