to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Why Xbox One's games portfolio is E3 2013's strongest

Your comments on our articles.

Ed salivates over the exclusives

Well that could have gone better. Microsoft has finally laid out all the details of its next generation console, including price points and game licensing policies that have not - to put it mildly - gone down well. In fact, the degree to which they've not gone down well is such that it's highly plausible they'll change between now and release day.... read more

Postby PCG The_B » 11 Jun 2013, 20:34

I think I'd counter argue myself that, in actuality, the next year is probably looking brightest for the old 360 - I was very impressed by the number of games still to come out for the older console, and even if they won't be as technically advanced as their One counterparts, I think there's a good sign that there's plenty of life in the older dog yet.
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 66

Postby Bugsquat » 11 Jun 2013, 20:38

The price is a tad steep, but as we have established, this is thanks to 20% VAT, and that things are more expensive elsewhere. But what I think most people are bawking at is the arbitrary nature of the price difference between America and everywhere else. What gives, Microsoft?

I am intrigued by most of these games. Halo (5) is the only one I'm actively looking forward to, but it wouldn't make much sense to buy a new console just for the sake of one game (it doesn't matter how they spin it, I really couldn't care less about the multimedia faff - it will simply go unused and ignored. I don't even use my telly for watching television - it's sole purpose is for games) I might give Ryse and The Crew a look in, in that case.
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Re: Why Xbox One's games portfolio is E3 2013's strongest

Postby Skipstream » 11 Jun 2013, 21:28

Edwin, for me, has perfectly mirrored my opinion. I am very torn right now. A few months ago I would not have doubted I'd be a day one Xbox next gen buyer, now I'm not sure, the PS4 is looking good...but I feel the Xbox has a stronger games line up. The fiend in spec is slightly worrying too though 360/ps3 always showed that to be largely irrelevant.

I think I'm going to have to wait to see how MS react to the negativity and the pre order stats from retailers and that annoys me as I wanted the decision to be easy!
Skipstream 51

Postby Darth Mousemat » 11 Jun 2013, 21:32

They were all(if not mostly) Shooters! Apart from the odd other game like Mirrors edge there really is no variety in gameplay concepts.

I don't want to shoot things all the time, but I don't want the only games that allow this to be indie or arcade.
Darth Mousemat 24

Postby RHPSAUCE » 12 Jun 2013, 00:07

Darth Mousemat wrote:They were all(if not mostly) Shooters! Apart from the odd other game like Mirrors edge there really is no variety in gameplay concepts.

I don't want to shoot things all the time, but I don't want the only games that allow this to be indie or arcade.

Project Spark looks like an incredible game that could rival shooters almost as well as minecraft, but I do agree there are a lot of shooters but when the shooters look as breath taking as Titanfall!

Microsoft showed some amazing games and their online service is great to me so far so I believe I will be getting the Xbox One as the 24 hour update, trade ins and big brother kinect don't really effect or bother me. Pricing is ridiculous at £429 (it should be around £320) but if I just wait a bit for prices to drop or pray to Microsoft for a miracle.
RHPSAUCE 31

Postby SidTheSloth » 12 Jun 2013, 00:13

Ryse and perhaps Project Spark aside i gotta say all of those mentioned in the article left me pretty cold sir, but then you are talking to a general loather of shooters - surprised there was no mention of re-exclusive dead rising, suspect this was an oversight based on E3-fatigue though? :wink: Glad you're looking forward to them, but Titanfall & Destiny may be my biggest disappointments from what i've seen, both of them looked so 'meh'. Weirdly, shooty types 'The Division' and the (whispers, PS4) 'The Order' looked more enticing than either of them, but i'm not exactly mass market with this stuff. Would argue that 'X' on the Wii-U looks a better mech based effort too for the three people who own one!

Ryse i really, really want to be good, i love the setting, presentation, everything... except the stilted, QTE themed combat, seemed so out of place - but hoping that was either a blip, or something they can amend before it ships.

Otherwise i reckon the One's strongest titles are third party until potential juggernauts such as 'Black Tusk: WIP', Fable & Crackdown (for the love of god please!!) are announced. Felt sorry for the Guy talking about World of Tanks, it's a good game as i understand it, but it kinda seems like the guest at the party that no-one invited or really wants to talk to, hope it works out for them though as the dude announcing seemed so enthusiastic.

The announcement of Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts for the One was/is for me one of the biggest surprises/wins for MS, I maybe expected FF, but Kingdom Hearts was a bit more of a shock and leaves me struggling to think of more than 2 titles that now exist as PS4 exclusives?

Still doesn't change the fact by imposing the stoopid 24 hour thing i can't join the party for a while yet. Gits. :(
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby bobknight1 » 12 Jun 2013, 01:00

I have to admit my gut reaction last night preorder the ps4 and ditch the One. But having spent some time thinking about i feel that there stand against DRM largely covered up the fact that there was almost no gameplay footage of any of there exclusives and there were very few exclusives. Even Kingdom Hearts 3 has gone multiplatform. So although i dont agree with Microsofts approach to next gen they have a far stronger line up in terms of games and that is what i am buying my next console for.
bobknight1 35

Postby SilentDark » 12 Jun 2013, 02:09

To be honest I've never been that much of a fan of either Sony's or Microsoft's exclusive franchises. Nothing either company develops in house or via second party interests me. So although the MS exclusives look better than the PS4s I won't be buying a console based on either selection. Given that the PS4 is cheaper, has no DRM, will still function many moons down the line it seems pretty obvious what I should go for. So unless Ms can do something really significant (Like pay me a million quid to take it off their hands I guess I'll be giving my money to Sony, or heck maybe I'll just buy a Wii U, there should be a decent Zelda game out in a couple of years.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby SidTheSloth » 12 Jun 2013, 08:19

What did everyone make of all the tablet/smartphone integration btw? Seemed to be shoehorned into pretty much every game i saw at every show? I think there are certain times it could be used really well, but they seem to be trying to inject it everywhere - have people been growing extra arms and hands and no-one told me? :| Strange too that we saw much more of that than Kinect?

I'm seriously considering picking up a Wii-U, that wonderful 101 & X looked amazing to me, as good as anything shown on the other two at least (maybe not graphically of course). Apparently they'll be doing a few more reveals over this week, so with a few extra titles announced and a nice little price drop (i won't hold my breath on the latter) i could well take the plunge. If i could find somewhere that lets me trade in my Wii too, the extra €15 would soften the blow! :wink:
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Zombie Trooper » 12 Jun 2013, 08:38

For me, I think that I will still get the xbone, despite the rest of the internet treating it if it was the Antichrist. Microsoft has always done better software, and note it has built in twitch, Skype, and video editing to boot. And when people complain that the xbone is to TV centric, when I'm online ( which is always, so the once every 24 hours doesn't bother me), half of them are watching TV.

But to the games. The halo 5 release baffled me somewhat, but it is interesting to find out what the hell he is up to. Forza 5, will buy, as that is what I'm like. Titan fall, it's not a redefinition of what fps games are, but a really cool concept non the less. And Microsoft managed to wrangle themselves exclusives for BF4 and CoD, to of the biggest fps franchises out there. But what most interests me is project sky, as that it's the recognition of the creative element on Xbox, looking at what is created using minecraft and trails evolution at the moment, I'm looking forward to what madness is created.
Zombie Trooper 26

Postby No47 » 12 Jun 2013, 09:27

From the games on show at E3, the main game that stands out for me was the Monolith rpg X. Xenoblade Chronicles was by far the best rpg this generation in my opinion, and this looks to be more of the same. :D

Other games that looked great were Ryse, DR3, MGS5, Infamous:SS, FF15, Bayonetta 2, and a few more i can't think of right now.

So each system is going to have great games on them, despite what you think of DRM, graphical capabilities, etc.

Best E3 yet in my opinion.
No47 29

Postby ChocoROID » 12 Jun 2013, 09:32

The games being so strong, and certain titles being multi-platform (MGS5,FFXV) is the only thing that has kept me on Xbones side, PS4 slaughtered at e3 on everything else, and that's coming from a self admitted Xbox fan-boy.

The daily check ups don't personally affect me. Unless my connection goes down for a day or I want to visit a webless pal, (it happens Microsoft.)
But the preowned thing may cause a problem, I only buy games brand new at release that I know for certain will be worth getting.

I know for certain EA and Ubisoft are going to take advantage of this no pre-owned thing. So when I see at fantastic looking titles like The Division, I'm sad to know that if it comes out at the same time as Metal Gear Solid, SC: Blacklist, FFXV or any other proven IPs, it simply cannot compete for my wallet.
I can't afford to buy several full price games at once, A list will build up. And I only just finished playing every notable Xbox game. :?
This is my signature. Isn't it pretty?
ChocoROID 27

Postby TronZler » 12 Jun 2013, 13:43

Nicely balanced articie,great to see someone official here seeming as eager as i'm feeling towards the games lineup!
Btw Ed,and i love what Bungie created with the Halo franchise an i also love what 343 has done for it since,but what i took from seeing Master Chief unveiled as the robes wearer was a sly dig. Cast your minds back to the first Ps4 reveal and Bungies interviews after showcasing Destiny,they put a lot of spin on being able to create cloth,i.e clothed garments instead of the armour based ones we see in Halo.
I could be wrong of course,but i don't think Bungie will see it that way,or are meant too. I'm sure 343 will probably say he has to wear it so sand doesn't get in his suit or something,make your own minds up?

That aside,i'm stoked as always to see an epic teaser of a new Halo. Ryse looks good as does Titanfall. I'm very interested in the new Quantum game from Remedy also as what they did was kinda special with the Alan Wake games,like the live action free series that leads up to the first games setting,yet another imagintive bunch that only adds to Microsofts quality for me.
A sentiment i've never really felt in many years on the other console.
TronZler 23

Postby OXM ETboy » 12 Jun 2013, 13:51

TronZler wrote:Cast your minds back to the first Ps4 reveal and Bungies interviews after showcasing Destiny,they put a lot of spin on being able to create cloth,i.e clothed garments instead of the armour based ones we see in Halo.

This is a persuasive point :) It hadn't occurred to me that they might be trolling Bungie. Glad you enjoyed the piece.

@Sid

You and me both on a new Crackdown and Fable. I have reservations about what Black Tusk showed, but it's early days. Project Spark was lovely, and World of Tanks could be huge - there's a quote somewhere to the effect that the PC game community is mainly Russian, so it stands to make a big splash in the states.

As for smartphone stuff, my understanding is that it's omnipresent and unobtrusive and you can basically pay as much attention to it as you like. It's interesting to see The Division making such prominent use of a tablet, though.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Malcolm Reynolds » 14 Jun 2013, 23:22

The number and quality of games at the E3 were very good.
However, I'm still worried about Kinect and the privacy issues it raises.
In light of Microsoft working with the NSA Prism program, Kinect having to be plugged in and on for the system to play games AND the probability of having to "opt out" of having your living room recorded and the info passed/sold on to god knows who for whatever reason they see fit, I'm not sure I want an Xbox One....

Can someone explain why you would need to have privacy settings that stop Kinect from sending everything it sees/hears back to Microsoft. Surely this should be a given.

I dont want to come over all "Guardian reader" (I am but thats not the point) but this is a bit of a big thing and I think you've all missed the point. Now I know some of you will go "I don't do anything wrong, why should I care" but thats not the point. The point is that for a corporation to even have the opportunity of monitoring who is where and what they're doing is a concern. What are they doing with this data?

I know that this is the Official Xbox Magazine and you don't want to upset people by digging around for a story but come on! you cant tell me that this hasn't even crossed your mind. Why not treat yourselves, and us, your readership and actually look into this rather than just doing a cut and paste job from someone else's interview where they simply say "don't worry" or feed you the company line of "Your privacy is our priority".

Like a lot of your readers and commenters on here, I grew up playing games and I'm now 37 so why not treat us like the grown ups we are.... Go on..... Whats the worst that can happen?
Malcolm Reynolds 11

Next