to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft: don't like always-online Xbox One? Buy an Xbox 36

Your comments on our articles.

People are "imagining" always-online Xbox One problems, insists Mattrick

Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Boss Don Mattrick has suggested that people are "imagining" problems with Xbox One's internet requirements, adding that the manufacturer already has a product in play for those who'd rather play offline all the time - Xbox 360. This probably isn't going to be well received, is it?... read more

Microsoft: don't like always-online Xbox One? Buy an Xbox 36

Postby delpoi » 12 Jun 2013, 10:21

That statement he made isn't probably going to be seen in the best context but I understand the meaning behind it as they said they will still be supporting the 360 for years yet and hopefully in that time internet will be more widespread am fortunate enough to live in a area that offers high speed broadband and I don't buy second hand games so am luckly that everything that people find negative about the X1 doesn't effect me which am glad about it is a shame though for the people who are in the internet blackspots :/
delpoi 41

Re: Microsoft: don't like always-online Xbox One? Buy an Xbo

Postby senote » 12 Jun 2013, 10:35

delpoi wrote:That statement he made isn't probably going to be seen in the best context

The statement makes him seem like a total c**t.

Dont like you're Xbox One having to be online ... well F**K YOU!

Didn't the Microsoft guy who made a comment about this before the launch get fired? I could be wrong on that though.

There is absolutely NO reason why and Xbox One shouldn't be able to play games in an offline capacity, other than the possibility MS think this will stop the people using illegal downloads on hacked xbox's. It won't, they will find a way to beat it, they always do, and all MS are doing is punishing decent users.
senote 27

Postby SidTheSloth » 12 Jun 2013, 10:38

I see his point in some ways that a lot of people are being frankly ridiculous, speculating about Tigers escaping from a Zoo and chewing though their fibre optic cables and such like (a joke, but some of the examples are ridiculous). At the same time, he's got a staunch MS customer here who buys all games new, has been an xbox live gold subscriber longer than bezzas beard, has been looking forward to the next gen machines like Fishy looks forward to a colonic, but is now outside looking in because a 24hr check-in will just be unworkable with some of the stuff i have coming up - but lucky me, i can stay living in the past... Ace.

Seriously, they need to add the ability to play offline with the disc still present and i'll (maybe) come running back and forgive the irritating smugness. The weird floppy hair though? No, can't forgive that, it's just weird... :?
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Jun 2013, 10:44

SidTheSloth wrote:I see his point in some ways that a lot of people are being frankly ridiculous, speculating about Tigers escaping from a Zoo and chewing though their fibre optic cables and such like (a joke, but some of the examples are ridiculous). At the same time, he's got a staunch MS customer here who buys all games new, has been an xbox live gold subscriber longer than bezzas beard, has been looking forward to the next gen machines like Fishy looks forward to a colonic, but is now outside looking in because a 24hr check-in will just be unworkable with some of the stuff i have coming up - but lucky me, i can stay living in the past... Ace.

Seriously, they need to add the ability to play offline with the disc still present and i'll (maybe) come running back and forgive the irritating smugness. The weird floppy hair though? No, can't forgive that, it's just weird... :?

My favorite was one bloke on GamesRadar saying that he was boycotting the One because of the always online, and then in same post admitting he only ever plays CoD and Battlefield, and only ever the MP so doesn't game if he's offline anyway :lol:
Do you ever look at some of the other people on the internet and wonder if you missed the sign that says "You must be this dumb to ride"?
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby SilentDark » 12 Jun 2013, 10:45

really Mattrick, that's your response.

Alternatively if you want to play most of these new games coming out, buy a PS4 instead.

Seriously MS you are giving customers away. This kind of arrogance is what got the PS3 off to such a slow start. Don't just learn from your mistakes, learn from those made by others.

Seriously, buy a 360, from the company that thinks backwards compatibility is backwards they are now telling us to get a last gen console.

MS, please give me a job, I could do a much better job than half the idiots you seem to employ.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby SidTheSloth » 12 Jun 2013, 10:52

CunningSmile wrote:
SidTheSloth wrote:I see his point in some ways that a lot of people are being frankly ridiculous, speculating about Tigers escaping from a Zoo and chewing though their fibre optic cables and such like (a joke, but some of the examples are ridiculous). At the same time, he's got a staunch MS customer here who buys all games new, has been an xbox live gold subscriber longer than bezzas beard, has been looking forward to the next gen machines like Fishy looks forward to a colonic, but is now outside looking in because a 24hr check-in will just be unworkable with some of the stuff i have coming up - but lucky me, i can stay living in the past... Ace.

My favorite was one bloke on GamesRadar saying that he was boycotting the One because of the always online, and then in same post admitting he only ever plays CoD and Battlefield, and only ever the MP so doesn't game if he's offline anyway :lol:

Ha, yeah, that's exactly the sort of thing i mean - means the few of us with a genuine issue aren't really taken seriously! I get i'm very much in the minority though, and like i've mentioned it won't be a permanent issue, just means i'll have to pick up a One at a later date. Just seems like for this one issue, letting me play offline with a disc in could have solved my problem and washed away a lot of the negativity. Obviously some MMO type games still wouldn't work, but that's no different to now, baffles me how i can't still play even something like a sports game offline with it?

EDIT: Would suggest the headline is somewhat inflammatory, that wasn't what he said really, although that is admittedly how i translated it too...
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Bezza89 » 12 Jun 2013, 11:04

Most people have been a gold subscriber longer than a millimetre. If that's possible, like how Han made the kettle run in 12 parsecs I suppose.

I think he makes a good point in a bad way, one isn't backwards compat, so take your 360 on holiday or commuting about or whatever (360 on the train? awesome) sure it's not the best way to say it, but the One is clearly for plonking in a room to the internet and left there forever (or until you move house). I'm not getting a one, but if when I do (yes when they announce fable I'm there) my 360 is still running I'm not getting rid of it.

Still, poorly made suggestion, sir.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby Currambo » 12 Jun 2013, 11:20

A lot of people are failing to see the advantages of having this online check-in stuff. Mainly because microsoft have been so poor at TELLING US why it's so advantageous.

The entire strategy of having all your games on the cloud and not having to switch discs all the time would be impossible (as far as I can think) with out the check-in.

I hope down the line it starts to become clearer why this online strategy is the way forward!
Currambo 54

Postby ItchyRash » 12 Jun 2013, 11:25

The problem with him saying that you won't know until you try it first hand is that many people don't really have £429 to spend on a whim. I'll want to know every last detail before I commit. And unfortunately, after years of Xbox and Xbox 360, everything I know of the One and PS4 means that for the first time in a long time I'm swaying towards Sony.

There are some things he's right about and they don't bother me. Being online every 24 hours is no problem to me. The high release price doesn't bother me either as I probably wouldn't consider either console for the first 6-12 months. I'm not even that against the idea of the pre-owned fee but when given a choice of having one or not having one I'll side with not having one.

OXM, I get you're an Xbox magazine but is there any way you'd do an article about the comparisons between what PS4 and Xbox One will offer and your opinions on it all? Or is it something I can find on a fellow Future publications website? I don't want to create arguments but would be interested in knowing your opinions on the blow that Sony dealt Microsoft
ItchyRash 43

Postby Currambo » 12 Jun 2013, 11:25

I think it was on GTTV, geoff keighley actually made a really good analogy.
Xbox One's "always online" is similar to sony implementing blu-ray in PS3, it was future-proofing that a lot of people didn't see the advantage of at the time, that may come to be a big boon in the future.

Microsoft and Sony have quite literally swapped places for the start of this gen... interesting!!
Currambo 54

Postby Ghostwriter » 12 Jun 2013, 11:47

"we have a product for people who aren'a able to get some form of connectivity - it's called Xbox 360. If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device"

But what if I want to play gorgeous next generation games offline? No wait, it's okay it seems that Sony has a product that does that.

Seriously, I will probably be getting an X1 as the DRM and online check in wont really bother me (though I will be waiting for a price drop first. Really, you're gonna launch at £429? Are you crazy?). However I do think MS will lose some customers with this crazy arrogance they are running with at the moment. "We're right, you're wrong, #dealwithit". Sony won E3 in many gamers and journalists eyes, not with games or features but by listening to what fans hated about the X1 reveal and saying "we're not going to do that" and then being £80 cheaper.

MS needs to do some major damage control and comments like this aren't the way to go about it.
Ghostwriter 10

Postby fatalgilly » 12 Jun 2013, 11:51

ItchyRash wrote:OXM, I get you're an Xbox magazine but is there any way you'd do an article about the comparisons between what PS4 and Xbox One will offer and your opinions on it all? Or is it something I can find on a fellow Future publications website? I don't want to create arguments but would be interested in knowing your opinions on the blow that Sony dealt Microsoft

Agreed, i would like to see this also.
fatalgilly 23

Postby phillip beasley » 12 Jun 2013, 11:53

Soo this means i can keep my xbox360 if i don't like it and buy a PS4 instead, yeah, ok thanks for clearing that one up Microsoft!.
phillip beasley 24

Postby OXM ETboy » 12 Jun 2013, 11:53

OXM, I get you're an Xbox magazine but is there any way you'd do an article about the comparisons between what PS4 and Xbox One will offer and your opinions on it all? Or is it something I can find on a fellow Future publications website? I don't want to create arguments but would be interested in knowing your opinions on the blow that Sony dealt Microsoft

We can't really discuss the competition at length, I'm afraid. Microsoft's pretty easy-going about the stuff we publish using its brand, but effectively promoting a rival console alongside Xbox? I doubt they'd be cool with that, somehow.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby msbhvn » 12 Jun 2013, 12:13

Mattrick's attitude isn't helping. It's only just over a year since I've had broadband, and I'm sure there are many people who still don't have it. Saying those people can't use an Xbox One at all and should use an inferior machine is just bad PR.

I've done my research on the Xbox One, as much as I can with the limited information out there, and I know that the drawbacks of the DRM won't affect me much. The only thing I'm concerned about is the price of the games, Amazon has them at £54.99 each, but since the 360 is still going to be around for at least a couple more years, that'll work out too. I might even make a dent in my backlog.

However, there is the tiniest possibility that the telephone cabinet that supplies my broadband, which is right next to a main road, could get hit by a lorry and destroyed. I'm pretty sure my connection will be down for over 24 hours then. :lol:
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Next