to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Ryse Xbox One gameplay - why it's more than a massive QTE fe

Your comments on our articles.

Executions, Kinect commands, multiplayer and formations

Ryse: Son of Rome's E3 2013 showing was a mix of the enormously impressive and the worrying. On the one hand, yay for the protracted and cinematic gutting of photorealistic Romans! On the other, button prompts? We spoke to James Goddard, Microsoft's senior designer, for more.... read more

Ryse Xbox One gameplay - why it's more than a massive QTE fe

Postby SidTheSloth » 12 Jun 2013, 10:59

Sounds more promising - we have to remove the 20% layer of inevitable dev-speak - but this is one i really want to be good, very much a Dynasty Warriors (or indeed, a Warriors: Legends Of Troy) with brains. I just hope you can tone down the number/frequency of slow-mo cinematic executions if they're such a vital part of the game. Someone mentioned there were over 100 different execution animations - that's great, but not if i plan to kill approximately 5000 on my playthrough! Maybe they could make the slow-mo's purely for boss-ier fights or against the non-standard peons?

>crosses fingers< please be awesome
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Re: Ryse Xbox One gameplay - why it's more than a massive QT

Postby OXM ETboy » 12 Jun 2013, 11:12

Indeed, the world needs more Roman brawlers. I'd cross my fingers too but then all the articles would turn into dsjdsjkfdjsa dxlkfm awlk

/concludes "crossed fingers typing experiment"
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby msbhvn » 12 Jun 2013, 12:20

It's quite baffling how it's somehow turned from a Kinect game into a quite shameless God of War clone. That doesn't bother me, I like God of War, but I hope Ryse has a better story than "angry man kills everyone in his way".
Massively Multiplatform since ever, fanboys!
msbhvn 69

Postby CraigTheB » 12 Jun 2013, 12:28

With Spartan Total Warrior being one of my all time favourite games, this appeals to me massively, just hope it's not a completely changed and god awful game by the time it comes out
CraigTheB 4

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Jun 2013, 12:51

CraigTheB wrote:just hope it's not a completely changed and god awful game by the time it comes out

Make your mind up up, you can have one or the other but not both :lol:
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby PaladinRonin » 12 Jun 2013, 14:57

This actually looks good. What really interested me was forming a phalanx of Legionares and giving commands. I really hope that is a main theme through out the game. Also, the combat mechanics do look simular to that of the Assassin's Creed series with the addion of QTE. So long as the QTEs are intergral but without being too dominate, the mechanics of combat should be smooth.
"I am justice incarnate: Brought to this world by forces beyond your comprehension. A cleansing storm to sweep across the land and purge it of your foul presence. I am Dust."
PaladinRonin 32

Postby Bugsquat » 12 Jun 2013, 15:17

With Rome II: Total War on the way as well, the gaming world looks set to become a Roman-tastic wonderland. We'll all be speaking in imperious voices and striking masculine poses. :lol:

My favourite quote from the first Rome TW is when you conquer a settlement and your general declares, in his most stoic voice, 'This land is ROMAN!!'
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Jun 2013, 15:20

Bugsquat wrote: We'll all be speaking in imperious voices and striking masculine poses. :lol:

You say that like it's a new thing. I do it already :lol:
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Bugsquat » 12 Jun 2013, 15:46

CunningSmile wrote:
Bugsquat wrote: We'll all be speaking in imperious voices and striking masculine poses. :lol:

You say that like it's a new thing. I do it already :lol:

Toga and all :mrgreen:
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Postby Plamsa wing » 12 Jun 2013, 16:13

These Romans won't be going home anytime soon. :wink:

Really want this to be good, this was one of the highlights from Microsoft for me. Not to bothered about the QTE's if they keep them to execution moves and they aren't everywhere. Hopefully they give us the option to turn them off, which would be rather nice.

CraigTheB wrote:With Spartan Total Warrior being one of my all time favourite games, this appeals to me massively, just hope it's not a completely changed and god awful game by the time it comes out

Odd how you mention Spartan: Total Warrior as it's feeling I got from watching this when they showed it. Good man, good man. Loved that game I did, even if the last boss took me ages to beat.
I've bitten off more than I can choux.
Plamsa wing 56

Postby Bugsquat » 12 Jun 2013, 16:46

I played the demo of Spartan: Total Warrior on a demo disk that I got from an Original Xbox OXM, what, 8 or 9 years ago? It was good but I never bought the full game, and I think it'll be hard to now.

Jeez, I was still in primary school back then. You guys have been a feature for a large part of my life. Xbox all the way (or most of the way. I've moved beyond angry to disillusioned, so we'll see about the One.)
Bugsquat 31

Postby glavias » 12 Jun 2013, 17:09

Like the look of this... Not to many slow mo button presses I hope, like Sid said. One of my favourite 360 games was Viking battle for Asgard. Yes it got mixed reviews, button press execution moves on bosses. but it was a good brawler and a bit of stealth.. and the epic battles... :)

P.S. that new Viking Series is cool.. Sorry you lot were talking about Romans!!
glavias 37

Postby Metalrodent » 12 Jun 2013, 17:23

glavias wrote:P.S. that new Viking Series is cool.. Sorry you lot were talking about Romans!!

that the one with all the inexplicably hot blond people who oddly have american accents?
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby glavias » 12 Jun 2013, 19:30

Metalrodent wrote:
glavias wrote:P.S. that new Viking Series is cool.. Sorry you lot were talking about Romans!!

that the one with all the inexplicably hot blond people who oddly have american accents?

There are at least 2 actors in the series that I think are of nordish decent!! :wink:
glavias 37

Postby rafoca » 12 Jun 2013, 21:36

Would be more interesting if the co-op could be in the main campaign, not only a colisseum affair.
rafoca 28

Next