to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

The Hot Topic - is Xbox One the last console you'll ever buy

Your comments on our articles.

Is cloud power really "infinite", or is the box itself still the key?

The death of videogame consoles has been predicted multiple times during the past decade, cue scornful hilarity, but it may genuinely come to pass with the next generation of videogame hardware. Xbox One, after all, is a machine that's capable of downloading all of its games from, uploading all player data to and even offloading a portion of its processing power to the cloud. Doesn't that do away with the need for a new console, 10 years from now?... read more

The Hot Topic - is Xbox One the last console you'll ever buy

Postby sonicmark » 12 Jun 2013, 12:38

For me it comes down to whether Microsoft make anymore consoles after the Xbox One :-) .
sonicmark 28

Re: The Hot Topic - is Xbox One the last console you'll ever

Postby AllyDecker » 12 Jun 2013, 12:44

Invalid question - nobody's going to buy an Xbox One.
AllyDecker 2

Postby msbhvn » 12 Jun 2013, 12:46

They'd have to improve the hardware to scale with the cloud power. The bandwidth of N Wireless would eventually be exhausted and the paltry 500GB non-replaceable hard drive is silly now, never mind in ten years. The Blu-ray drive might need replacing if 2K and 4K displays take off. If the hardware changes, it will essentially be a reduced function PC, with all the problems associated with differing PC hardware.

I can see Xbox One lasting ten years if they allow external hard drives to boost the limited storage. In 2023 it will probably be outperformed by a toaster, though.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby GoingPostal13 » 12 Jun 2013, 12:47

It's the first console since the master system I'll not buy.
GoingPostal13 7

Postby benden74 » 12 Jun 2013, 12:49

I think topic heading should be changed because as it stands the Xbox One is the first microsoft console I won't buy :lol:
benden74 23

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Jun 2013, 12:49

AllyDecker wrote:Invalid question - nobody's going to buy an Xbox One.

I am
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Plamsa wing » 12 Jun 2013, 12:53

You never know, this might end up being the best thing Microsoft has ever done, one day I reckon everything will be connected so in a way they're future-proofing the console. Besides Blu-ray took off didn't it?

It all remains to be seen for both consoles at this point, to declare one of them has "won" an imaginary "war" (which is more like playground bickering), it's a bit silly without waiting a few years really.

Saying that, will this be my last console? Well for all I know the world could end tomorrow. :wink:
Last edited by Plamsa wing on 12 Jun 2013, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby msbhvn » 12 Jun 2013, 13:04

Plamsa wing wrote:It all remains to be seen for both consoles at this point, to declare on of them has "won" an imaginary "war" (which is more like playground bickering), it's a bit silly without waiting a few years really.

Tell that to Official PlayStation Magazine, they've used the word "win" more than Charlie Sheen the past couple of days.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 12 Jun 2013, 13:12

As Ive stated a few times on various threads if the price was more than £350 then Id be more than content sticking with my 360 for another year or so, maybe even longer so no, Xbox One will not be the last console Ill ever buy as I may never actually buy one as the general consensus between my friends (who are all avid 360 users) and myself is that the Playstation 4 is currently more appealing.
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Jun 2013, 13:18

I'm on the side of Godwin here, if the cloud has infinite power why not introduce it on the 360 then suddenly you have a super powerful console? Surely the lions share of game processing still has to be in the box with general internet speeds the way they are and will be for quite some time. Nope they'll be more boxy things in the future.

And it's official, Cunning is a nobody, ha :P
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby Dave101 » 12 Jun 2013, 13:39

[list=][/list]heres a thought. the world isnt 'always online' yet, no matter what ms think in their ivory tower, unless.... they are adding 3g to the console to make you pay for a data plan l8ke a mobile? of course, a mobile the size of a briefcase....... thought those days were gone. and if thats not happening, then what ARE THEY THINKING!? its mental isnt it, three consoles with vastly different specs, wii u well back in third place, yet we all know the wii outsold the lot so who knows.... and who cares?!
Dave101 16

Postby benden74 » 12 Jun 2013, 13:57

Dave101 wrote:[list=][/list]heres a thought. the world isnt 'always online' yet, no matter what ms think in their ivory tower, unless.... they are adding 3g to the console to make you pay for a data plan l8ke a mobile? of course, a mobile the size of a briefcase....... thought those days were gone. and if thats not happening, then what ARE THEY THINKING!? its mental isnt it, three consoles with vastly different specs, wii u well back in third place, yet we all know the wii outsold the lot so who knows.... and who cares?!

I don't think the specs of the new playstation and xbox are all that different, but i understand what you are getting at it just seems a bit daft to cut of a section of the marketplace/potential sales :roll: On another note I'm one of those wallies who bought a wii u only one I know but I can never resist new consoles :wink: I never thought microsoft would make an Xbox I didn't want to get day one, if things change maybe later down the line.
benden74 23

Postby Blastiel » 12 Jun 2013, 14:37

No, i'll wait for the price drop and redesign first. Far to expensive and far to restrictive. PS4 FTW.
Blastiel 22

Postby Matt Lingham » 12 Jun 2013, 15:36

I'm buying an Xbox One day one... I don't understand what the big issue is with connecting every 24 hours as most people who own a console are online anyway... I understand that some people are not online and don't have internet access but a lot of people do and most people's system's are online anyway.

As fair as selling games that doesn't bother me as I work and can afford new games when they come out... I understand that some people trade in used game's to buy new games but not everyone does.

I was more interested in the Xbox One then the PS4 even when Microsoft had there conference 3 week's ago and E3 showed some good games coming to the Xbox One.

I understand people won't agree with my opinion but it's a personal opinion and i will defiantly buy and Xbox one with a couple of extra controllers and about 4 to 5 games.
Matt Lingham 7

Postby skinnypigeon » 12 Jun 2013, 16:23

While I do see the One as a long lasting console the power of the Cloud is far overplayed. It is unfortunately limited by our bandwidth so the actual usefulness of it is limited by the severe bottleneck that occurs as our consoles speak to the Cloud. The actual amount of data that can be transferred in real time is far slower than the processors inbuilt into the machine so it will only ever be capable of some pre-rendered calculations.

I’m not saying it won’t be a great tool to aid persistent online game worlds however as far as offering the computational power Microsoft are claiming we would need to see a massive improvement in internet capabilities worldwide before it could begin to match their vision.
skinnypigeon 14

Next